Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foxing

Veterans List

Foxing

That was such a bizarre game today, from the late changes to the coaching to the player intensity (even hearing that Kirk wasn't allowed in the rooms pre-game) that I wonder if we went in to seriously try to win the game. If we did, I doubt we'll go far in the finals. If we did regard it as largely a game off then I wonder if a lot of things we were doing right a month ago will return in finals. It's hard to see how some of our most competitive players could produce the efforts they did today (try the tackle count for a start). We certainly should be fresh for next week against the Crows. But, if we lose Reg it'll really hurt, Nick back or not.

Do you think we were, if not foxing, trying to get through the last game before finals?

Senior Player
    No!

I doubt we were foxing but......that was the worse I've seen them play all year! I mean, Hanners, Parker, Malceski, Grundy, Shaw and Mattner looked very disinterested today. I havent seen our backline make so many mistakes all year like I did today!

Also, did anyone else notice how many times we would handpass to a team mate who was not only under pressure, but also, the handpass would be at their feet, and they would only be 5 metres away!!!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post
    I doubt we were foxing but......that was the worse I've seen them play all year! I mean, Hanners, Parker, Malceski, Grundy, Shaw and Mattner looked very disinterested today. I havent seen our backline make so many mistakes all year like I did today!

Also, did anyone else notice how many times we would handpass to a team mate who was not only under pressure, but also, the handpass would be at their feet, and they would only be 5 metres away!!!
    I think credit is due to Geelong for putting on that pressure - it didn't come from nowhere. It's that same pressure we put on the Hawks for the first quarter and a half last week and it's the sort of pressure that wins finals if we can keep it going for long enough....

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    Its natural after getting up for a battle for minor premiership to have a downer. I know as a fan this is probably the least excited ive been leading into a game and even during the game there was a sense of after playing pies n hawks in big games n with the finals to come even if we won by 10 goals i wouldnt be anywhere near as excited as i have most of the year after a win.

I reckon amongst coaches and players they was either conscious or subconscious thought that even if they "go hard" against Geelong they still would most likely end with the same result - a loss at the Cattery, and maybe "saving themselves" for a Adelaide game a more prudent approach. The resting of Ried and Smith to recover from a long season and get right for the finals and trying of Walsh rather than giving Morton a full game lead me to think it was a conscious decision.

I actually hope it was, cause otherwise if we play like we did yesterday in the finals rather than how we did the prior week (when we actually had something to play for - top spot), then we will probably go out in straight sets.

Go Swans - I have faith we are actually deserved Grand Finalists

Anything to avoid playing at Homebush huh?

On TV this morning, Doc Larkins said that Reid's injury is actually in his back & so more serious than his glute.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by johnno View Post

Bit harsh on Parker and Mattner there johnno. Parker was the sub who had 9 possessions in a short time and Mattner was one of our best IMHO.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sidswan View Post
    On TV this morning, Doc Larkins said that Reid's injury is actually in his back & so more serious than his glute.
    So the Doc is now channelling players. How does he have such intimate knowledge?

The same thoughts occurred to me. Isn't he based in Melbourne? Is he on the Swans medical staff? How does he have this intimate knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    The same thoughts occurred to me. Isn't he based in Melbourne? Is he on the Swans medical staff? How does he have this intimate knowledge?
    I found the Geelong bias on Gameday sickening. Doc Larkins can kiss my hairy yellow butt, along with the rest of those flogs
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast