Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Home preliminary vs collingwood

On today's performance, I think we will be playing the Eagles.

I'm travelling interstate to see the prelim and looking forward to registering for Grand Final ticket on Thursday.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    The Pies appear to be in a form slump and our boys will be on a high. At home, with a GF at stake, with even the law of averages on our side, I reckon we'll do it.
    No such thing. It's the Law of Probability and has nothing to do with averages but rather factors which have various influences on the result. If Collingwood have better personnel and effectively counter our game plan, then the Laws of Probability say they will continue to beat us. If the result was always a 50 - 50 chance then probability would say we have a 50% chance of winning next time. If we have always had a 50 - 50 chance of beating them then losing the last ten in a row would have had a probability of 1024 to 1.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    On today's performance, I think we will be playing the Eagles.
    Every year the teams that lose the Qualifying Final get talked down and the victor in the Elimination Final gets talked up (we were in this boat in 2008 and 2010) but the fact remains that in the past 10 years, 39 out of the 40 teams that play in a Preliminary Final are the Top 4 teams. That means only once out of 20 semi finals has the lower ranked team won. I'd back Collingwood and Adelaide to win this week.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Every year the teams that lose the Qualifying Final get talked down and the victor in the Elimination Final gets talked up (we were in this boat in 2008 and 2010) but the fact remains that in the past 10 years, 39 out of the 40 teams that play in a Preliminary Final are the Top 4 teams. That means only once out of 20 semi finals has the lower ranked team won. I'd back Collingwood and Adelaide to win this week.
    There is no arguing with those facts, the only difference this year is how tight the top 6 was. I think unlike most years, there is/are no standouts. This year could break the trend

True. But, in winning an elimination final, we (nor anyone else in recent history) never racked up a score of near-on 100 more than our opponents before playing a tream that got beaten by 40 (I think, without checking).

I'll be betting on West Coast to beat the Pies and Freo to beat Adelaide (and think there will be good odds on offer).

Whoever we play at Homebush, I'll be confident of a win.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Beau Waters is a serious out for the Eagles. Tilts the balance to the Pies, I think.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Beau Waters is a serious out for the Eagles. Tilts the balance to the Pies, I think.
    Waters is a Beauty AA I would think. If he is serious injury, it will hurt them. Like Adelaide it is their defence which can be exploited

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    Agreed, I'll be amazed if Collingwood and Adelaide don't get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant turn right View Post
    Agreed, I'll be amazed if Collingwood and Adelaide don't get through.
    Prepare to be amazed. WCE and Crows to get through.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

WCE vs pies will be a belter. Hopefully they hit each other bloody hard

Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I'm tipping that we will play WCE in the PF.
    They were impressive against North and as noted above the Pies seem to be going downhill since they beat us.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fremantle knock off the Crows. They were awesome against Geelong.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast