Thread: How times change

How times change

I was just looking through the old newsgroups of footy posts and found this gem I wrote back in 1993:

It's about time the AFL gave up in Sydney, it's just a money pit. And Sydney
    obviuosly is not ready for an AFL team. They should move the Swans to Canberra,
    give them a completely new name to distance themselves from "Sydney Swans" which
    noone would want to support anyway. It would also put them closer to the riverina
    region of southern NSW which is a very strong Aussie rules Zone. AFL has a much
    better chance of success in Camberra than Sydney, even with Canberra's much smaller
    population. Sydney people are just dickheads who dont follow football, of any sort.
    I suggest the "new" Swans be called the Canberra Capitalists
    or the Canberra Communists ???

And get a decent guernsey as well, maybe something in green??

Here I am now, living in Sydney, supporting the swans, and the city has adopted them as one of its own, and Canberra is still not able to support a full time AFL side.

D'Oh!

On the Rookie List Ryan Bomford's Avatar
    Barry,

This is heresy! We must think of the appropriate penalty for you.

On the Rookie List Ryan Bomford's Avatar
    On second thought you should either be shot or banished to Canberra. I believe the latter is the more severe penalty!

Actually, I admire your courage (foolhardishness?) in posting this stuff on here!!
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    LOL Barry certainly took a lot of courage to admit to posting that. Nice to see you have seen the light
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

Re: How times change

Originally posted by barry
    I was just looking through the old newsgroups of footy posts and found this gem I wrote back in 1993:

It's about time the AFL gave up in Sydney, it's just a money pit. And Sydney
    obviuosly is not ready for an AFL team. They should move the Swans to Canberra,
    give them a completely new name to distance themselves from "Sydney Swans" which
    noone would want to support anyway. It would also put them closer to the riverina
    region of southern NSW which is a very strong Aussie rules Zone. AFL has a much
    better chance of success in Camberra than Sydney, even with Canberra's much smaller
    population. Sydney people are just dickheads who dont follow football, of any sort.
    I suggest the "new" Swans be called the Canberra Capitalists
    or the Canberra Communists ???

Here I am now, living in Sydney, supporting the swans, and the city has adopted them as one of its own, and Canberra is still not able to support a full time AFL side.

D'Oh!
    There goes me thinking that you are a level headed person
    Once was, now elsewhere

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Talk about famous last words....there was an article a while back about how the AFL was criticised for wasting money on reconfiguring the "white elephant" Olympic Stadium, money which was recovered this year when 71,000 went to the Preliminary Final!

What were you thinking!

Tadhg would look good in green though - naturally

It really highlights how the Swans have defied the odds - in 1993, when times were really bad, no-one would have expected them to survive, and in 2003, everyone expected them to finish last!

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Actually I've always wondered about Canberra.

15 years ago the AFL decided the city was too small for a professional sporting team.

Then the Cannon's basketballers became the toast of the town ~ and the AFL announced their was city was too small for a football team.

Then the Raiders took over Canberra ~ the AFL decided their was too little corporate support for a team to be successfull.

Then the Broncos took their place in Canberra ~ and the AFL now reckons the marketplace is too full.

Personally I don't like Canberra but I can't help wondering why the AFL botched it up so badly?

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Originally posted by Ruckman
    Actually I've always wondered about Canberra.

Then the Broncos took their place in Canberra ~ and the AFL now reckons the marketplace is too full.

Personally I don't like Canberra but I can't help wondering why the AFL botched it up so badly?
    Do you not mean the ACT Brumbies mate?

They are easy to tell apart
    Rugby League- thick necks, squashed noses
    Rugby Union-old school ties, people becoming world heros for little more than potting a plastic ball between 2 sticks.

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Re: Re: How times change

Originally posted by robbieando
    There goes me thinking that you are a level headed person
    Just dont tell Mgreg or Doctor Alf there Mr Grayham!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)