Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drafting Table

Drafting Table

This year we have to draft a tall KPP forward who can have stints in the midfield. Colyn Sylvia would polish our forward line off perfectly, however most on here still think he has an attitude problem. With gazza coming back, we can have him and reid up forward but we still need to draft a key position forward and key back. Thoughs?
    Last edited by swanspant12; 1st September 2012 at 12:23 AM.

We don't need a medium sized forward

Goes up to 11
    We need a tall KPP forward. Or not if Tommy bags 6 tomorrow

Yep sorry i didn't write it properly. What i was meant to say was that we need a KPP.

Need a FF, and I suspect another ruckman in development - possibly this Naismith fellow.

The "experts" seem to think we need another speedy, classy midfielder - and who wouldn't, but I think we'll be OK with the current midfield mix (particularly if Jetta can step up.) If it's an issue the real solution will be found with a FF, allowing Goodes more time in the midfield (if physically able) and Rohan, but I think he'll be the one to nail down FF next year. (it's where he started and looked good prior to his injury.)
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Just wild about Harry
    Rohan is the key. He was being groomed to be rotated through FF this year which would have given us a forward faster than any backs. Also, Jetta is being tagged by the speediest opponent, however with Rohan as well then one of them will be able to take off. Sure, we need a good KPP up forward, but I cant help but think Gaz was crucial to this year's plans.

Yep all preseason was about Goodes, Reid and Rohan. Goodes was on fire at the start of this year and really Rohan was only going to get better. Big blow to loose both early in the season, especially becasue of how much pressure it put on Reid to carry the forward line.

I appreciate LRT's work and Pyke's forward marking has been immpressive, but nothing would have been better in the Col/Haw games than to see Rohan flying for a mark or break quickly into space late in the fourth quarter so we could have a chance of victory. We lack that little bit of polish and X-factor without him.

Forgive me if I get this wrong, but isn't Jed Lamb being groomed for a more outside midfield role? Yes, I agree we need in the next couple of years a project ruckman, a KPF or KPB and a classy, well skilled midfielder that can play on the outside.

From the little I've seen of the reserves, Harry Cunningham is the one I have the most hope for. Could provide the outside pace discussed previously.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Mmmm I think we could most would like a "silky" midfielder. We don't have anyone who can be S. Burgoyne or N. Dal Santo at their best....we have grunt and some brilliance - but not silk.....really reliable pure thread. :-)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Mmmm I think we could most would like a "silky" midfielder. We don't have anyone who can be S. Burgoyne or N. Dal Santo at their best....we have grunt and some brilliance - but not silk.....really reliable pure thread. :-)
    I think Jetta is headed in this direction, especially when he learns how to deal with a close tag. His other skills have come on a treat. Lamb is another who seems to have more than a thread of silk in his coat, going by the article on the club website and the collective spasms of joy from the ressie watchers.
    And I would give Tommy some more time to show what he can do.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I don't know about KPP, but Alex Brown would be my tip - one day. He has a lot of expanding to do muscle wise and strength wise, but he has a great attitude and it has been a pleasure to watch him improve week in and week out.

Next year? Don't know. If he sets the world on fire within 6 months Jed is an option. He sure has improved in jumps after his slow start. I have no idea if there is anyone out there that we could rescue and rehabilitate like we have done before. Mind you, some of the choices that were made were puzzling to start with, but oh so spot on.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Opti-pessi-misti
    I am so looking forward to how Tommy goes today. The coaches seem pretty encouraged by his development over the past month. Watching some of the NEAFL match last weekend he was leading and marking like a 'star'! His kicking for goal wasn't too crash hot though. Evidently he is learning how to use his body to advantage now and he has the physique and I suspect 'grunt' to become - potentially - what we are looking for. Here's hoping.

If Jed fulfils his potential and could rotate between midfield and forward, with Morton, Rohan, Reid & possibly Walsh, plus resting ruck, we already have the makings of a great forward line. It is a hard balancing act to make space for the 'fringe' players to get a run. Next year our team will have 7 players aged 30 and over. If we draft in an older recycled player from another club next year to help us win a flag right now, they had better be pretty darn good because it will mean another of our 'fringe' players wirh potential will miss out.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast