Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd number for preliminary final

Crowd number for preliminary final

I'm expecting 60,000 if its the Pies, 55,000 if its the Eagles. I think 60k would be a good result.

I hope the AFL don't price too many fans out with the cost of tickets..

At the price the tickets are going for they'll be lucky to fill that many seats

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    At the price the tickets are going for they'll be lucky to fill that many seats
    Yep, agree. We won't be there.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Goes up to 11
    Yeah I think the prices will really turn a lot of people off. Also we've had great weather in Sydney for a few weeks, which makes me worried it'll turn bad again sometime next week and put a few more people off going. Hopefully I'm wrong on both counts but I see us struggling to get close to 50k there. I'll go regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Yep, agree. We won't be there.
    Whilst I can understand in this economic climate etc, the ticket cost can be very high for the final. However, I encourage you to if you can to be there on 21st Sep. Home prelim finals are very very rare. For us it has been 1996, 2003, 2006 and 2012. This will be a fantastic night!
    Swannies for life!

I'm a tragic over estimator of expected crowds in the past, always hoping/expecting more than usually turn up. Unfortunately I see this as a real letdown crowd wise due to the pricing.

Reckon the AFL have missed a golden opportunity to get a huge crowd by just throwing open the nosebleed sections open for $40-$50 a ticket with kids at a nominal price ($10). I'd suggest the majority of rusted on Swans fans that typically frequent here would have still coughed up the $$$ to sit in prime viewing spots for such an important game, but if the AFL want to encourage new fans and interest for the benefit of both the Swans and GWS, a 70-80K crowd going off their tits in a close PF would surely encourage anybody with a smidgeon of interest to have another look next year.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I reckon it'll be 35-40K Swans fans, and as both Eagles (the price of tickets won't worry those cashed up bogans) and Pies fans are about the most obsessed in the land I reckon there will be plenty of away fans too. So maybe 50K all up.
    up the guts

The prices suck to be honest. I'm going but I'm not happy about what they're charging.

Does anyone know if the Swans Members' Bar will be open btw?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    The prices suck to be honest. I'm going but I'm not happy about what they're charging.

Does anyone know if the Swans Members' Bar will be open btw?
    I agree, $100 for a ticket is way way too expensive but I too will go. The AFL are just far too greedy and making it impossible for average people to afford it. Guess they prefer that the TV gets ratings instead. $100 for a prelim and $400 for a grand final, almost the price of a gold nugget

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Whilst I can understand in this economic climate etc, the ticket cost can be very high for the final. However, I encourage you to if you can to be there on 21st Sep. Home prelim finals are very very rare. For us it has been 1996, 2003, 2006 and 2012. This will be a fantastic night!
    There's an old adage that you should always go to a final involving your team, because you never know how long it might be before you get another chance. South Melbourne fans after 1945 would understand that only too well.

But like just about everyone else, I'm shocked at the price of tickets for both the preliminary final and the Grand Final (if we get that far). You'd think in a market like Sydney, it would have to have some impact on the size of the crowd.

Having said that, there will be five main components to the crowd:

1. Sydney Swans members and supporters - probably about 25,000
    2. Opposition club members - if it's Collingwood, probably 10,000 (if West Coast, 5,000)
    3. ANZ Stadium members - probably about 10,000
    4. Other AFL club members living in Sydney - probably 5,000 or so (depends on how many GWS members decide to come)
    5. Casual attendees on the night - perhaps up to 5,000 if the weather's good

So all up, around about 50,000-55,000 or so. That's my prediction.

35-40k is my guess.....add an extra 5-10k if its Collingwood. Prices will turn alot of people off, and the crowd will look even worse on TV because most of the people there will be in the cheap seats.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Warming the Bench
    I reckon if we get 40,000, we'll be doing well. I'm not paying more than $100 for a ticket! I paid $65 for a Twenty20 ticket vs India this year, and I thought that was a rip off. Yet Cricket Australia were smart. They had tickets for $30 on Level 1 and 6. Those seats were all filled!

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast