Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

Massive ground. About 30m longer and 20m wider than the MCG. Even makes subiaco look small.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    If we meet Hawthorn in the 2012 Grand Final the rematch next year will be a pin-up fixture. Based on this year's crowd for R22, I would suggest the SCG would get a one-off and if there is a 2nd game between the two it would be at the MCG. Mere speculation of course.
    Should be a good rematch with the Hawks out for revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    It's a Saints home game, so I'm sure it will affect our number of games in Melbourne - but only at Etihad.

And you make a good point, but Kiwis are all for a bit of sport of any kind as long as the bar's open and tickets aren't too expensive. Plus it's on a public holiday, and they don't have 2-Up...
    It won't affect the Melbourne games as we are gauranteed by the AFL to have at least 5 games in Melbourne in order for the club to be able to sell the memberships with Grand Final access etc.

It may mean the end of the 6th game at Simmonds Stadium in Geelong, but in reality this game can only be attended by a few so it was really an add anyway for the vast majority of swans melbourne based members.

DST
    "Looking forward to a rebuilt, new, fast and exciting Swans model in 2010"

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I'm thinking I may go as I've got a Qantas return to anywhere in Aust/NZ compensation flight from last years strike. Be a good way to use it I reckon.
    I used mine for Perth. Hoping enough Frequent Flyer points to help with going to NZ.
    Conrad

Regular in the Side
    Looks like Vic supporters loose again. Geelong game a joke cant get in anyway with all those feral cats. Seems that you Sydney siders like the idea its ok for you, you get your home games should be at least 6 in MELB and more at the MCG not Etihad where its costs at least $25 on top of your m/ship to get a seat on the ground level. Starting to think its not worth the $150 for a Victorian Membership particularly with so many games at the stadium

Warming the Bench
    Swans supporters are all around Australia (and NZ I'm sure). Not only in Sydney or Melbourne. I live in Tasmania and attended the game in Launceston this year along with thousands of Tassie Swans supporters who were extrrmely grateful and proud to have the chance to watch the mighty Swannies live! The NZ game will give the club great exposure and is a fantastic opportunity for more Swans supporters to see the team in their own backyard. Some people need to be grateful that they get to see the boys play so often and don't begrudge passionate supporters like myself the chance to see our champion team once in a blue moon! The club is bigger than that and I applaud this decision!

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Looks like Vic supporters loose again. Geelong game a joke cant get in anyway with all those feral cats. Seems that you Sydney siders like the idea its ok for you, you get your home games should be at least 6 in MELB and more at the MCG not Etihad where its costs at least $25 on top of your m/ship to get a seat on the ground level. Starting to think its not worth the $150 for a Victorian Membership particularly with so many games at the stadium
    We all love the fact that the Swans have a large Sydney and Melbourne based fan group (as well fo course the rest of us scattered all across the place) , but after all the team is now the Sydney Swans, and have been for the past 30years - so I'm not really sure that unless its a very good offer $$$$, we should really ever consider giving away home games for such an adventure as this.

I think generally the club does pretty well at ensuring a reasonable amount of games in Melbourne - even if one of them is usually at the dump in Geelong. But the situation with ticketing there should improve a bit once the ground renovations are improved and capacity increases. Its never going to be a perfect situation, but if you take this year as a basis, and it still stays at 6 games in Melbourne (as stated on the club website, the Swans have requested 6 away games in Melbourne), then there is a pretty decent chance the extra game will be at the MCG, instead of Etihad.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    We all love the fact that the Swans have a large Sydney and Melbourne based fan group (as well fo course the rest of us scattered all across the place) , but after all the team is now the Sydney Swans, and have been for the past 30years - so I'm not really sure that unless its a very good offer $$$$, we should really ever consider giving away home games for such an adventure as this.

I think generally the club does pretty well at ensuring a reasonable amount of games in Melbourne - even if one of them is usually at the dump in Geelong. But the situation with ticketing there should improve a bit once the ground renovations are improved and capacity increases. Its never going to be a perfect situation, but if you take this year as a basis, and it still stays at 6 games in Melbourne (as stated on the club website, the Swans have requested 6 away games in Melbourne), then there is a pretty decent chance the extra game will be at the MCG, instead of Etihad.
    If we get one less game in Melbourne which is an absolute monty, then our membership price should be reflected as such. If it means 5 games in Melbourne and no Geelong match I would be somewhat happy. 4 in Melbourne and one at the hole they call Simmonds Stadium (hardly resembles an oval) is not acceptable.

St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

The club has requested another 6 Melbourne games so it's up to the AFL to deliver that.

The flights are about $500 return which is a bit much, I'd probably go via Auckland though for a deal (they're about $300 return if you get a good deal)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkari View Post
    It's a Saints home game, so I'm sure it will affect our number of games in Melbourne - but only at Etihad.

And you make a good point, but Kiwis are all for a bit of sport of any kind as long as the bar's open and tickets aren't too expensive. Plus it's on a public holiday, and they don't have 2-Up...
    That would be fabo - Wellington is so easy to get around and the pubs restaurants on the water front are great! Highly recommend making the trip - I reckon I will go for sure then head up highway 1 to either Lake Taupo or Hawks Bay for a few days - or both !!! ( the road signage is ridiculously easy to navigate) do it people once it's locked in I'm booking!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    The club has requested another 6 Melbourne games so it's up to the AFL to deliver that.

The flights are about $500 return which is a bit much, I'd probably go via Auckland though for a deal (they're about $300 return if you get a good deal)
    Good tip. I've got plenty of Kiwi mates in Auckland who came to Oz, made enough money for a house and then headed home. I am sure I can grab one or two for a road trip to Wellington.

Also, why not make a holiday of it? Even with just a couple of days and a hire car from Auckland, there is so much to see in grand Aotearoa between the two cities.

Thats why I'll head north from Wellington - have friends who live in Hawkes bay and they have a batch (holiday house for non kiwis ) right on the waters edge of lake Taupo- will head up to Ruapehu as well. Fantastic place.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast