Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

See New Zealand has it all , footy , beautiful scenery , good pubs , nice people and you can pick up! So make the trip!!

I'm not a big fan of the AFL doing this - what is the end game supposed to be - what are they trying to achieve? I'd heard a few years ago that they were trying to do the same thing in South Africa (which I thought was a stupid idea too).

I'd prefer the AFL focussed their attention on getting more community groups in Australia playing our sport rather than worrying about international $.

St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the AFL doing this - what is the end game supposed to be - what are they trying to achieve? I'd heard a few years ago that they were trying to do the same thing in South Africa (which I thought was a stupid idea too).

I'd prefer the AFL focussed their attention on getting more community groups in Australia playing our sport rather than worrying about international $.
    Reasons why St Kilda, AFL and Wellington City Council are doing this

To spread the game to an emerging market (a few Kiwis have actually made it into the AFL system, believe it or not)

To enhance the pool of potential AFL players (NZ has shown skill in this area, they perform very well in AFL International Cup)

Groundwork for an NZ-based team (NZ teams are part of the NRL and A-league)

Pre-emptive exposure (the thousands of Kiwis that move over may barrack for St Kilda or Sydney first as that was the first team they saw)

All in all I think it is a low risk move by the AFL so I don't think it's that stupid. As a kiwi that has lived here for 12 years, I wish I had been exposed to it when I was younger, I don't really enjoy rugby union or league near as much as I do AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post

To spread the game to an emerging market (a few Kiwis have actually made it into the AFL system, believe it or not)

To enhance the pool of potential AFL players (NZ has shown skill in this area, they perform very well in AFL International Cup)

Pre-emptive exposure (the thousands of Kiwis that move over may barrack for St Kilda or Sydney first as that was the first team they saw)

All in all I think it is a low risk move by the AFL so I don't think it's that stupid. As a kiwi that has lived here for 12 years, I wish I had been exposed to it when I was younger, I don't really enjoy rugby union or league near as much as I do AFL.
    What he said AND its a bloody nice place to go to for a little holiday - so why not incorporate a game of footy with it!

Just wild about Harry
    And it's the right time with the Aussie $!

Hehe yup I've never been to Welly before, an AFL game with my dear Swans is a good enough excuse for me! It's what Wellington City Council is hoping for

There was once a famous piece of graffiti in Bondi which said

NEW ZEALAND SUX

to which some wag added

AUSTRALIA FIVE

Comedy gold :-)
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post

I really hope that this is not the groundwork for a future NZ-based team. If the AFL want to spread the sport to other places so they can start their own competitions that is fine, but I don't see how it improves the game to have an overseas team playing in our national competition.

There are are lots of things that the AFL could do, but that doesn't mean that they should.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I really hope that this is not the groundwork for a future NZ-based team. If the AFL want to spread the sport to other places so they can start their own competitions that is fine, but I don't see how it improves the game to have an overseas team playing in our national competition.

There are are lots of things that the AFL could do, but that doesn't mean that they should.
    One of the problems that AFL has is that there is no international rivalry and no Test matches against other nations. We tried it with International Rules but that is more of a curiosity than a competition. Compare that to League, Union and Soccer and we lack that final elite level to which professional sportsmen strive. To be able to provide this level to junior League and Union players should they want to consider AFL would be a big advantage. It is something that the NRL has been saying is their big advantage for years.

I think that, apart from adding more markets for the AFL dollar, the Greek is being visionary here and wants to leave a legacy for long after his tenure. To be the CEO that goes down in history as the man who took the game to the world and began a real international competition is probably something that would appeal to him.

The NZ-based team is a very long term project, I'm sure they'd do a Tas team before that. I think their goal is to have a third WA team and a third QLD or NT team in the next 20 years. But it is all speculation and they'll be more concerned about bedding down GWS and GCS before any other distractions. All of NZ is closer than WA so logistically it isn't impossible.

Re: St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

A new team would never work in an area where the rugby code dominates.
    Last edited by Big Al; 15th September 2012 at 01:04 PM.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    A new team would never work in an area where the rugby code dominates.
    Just imagine Eddie if a FOREIGN team got salary cap concessions!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast