Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

St Kilda - Away - in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Thats why I'll head north from Wellington - have friends who live in Hawkes bay and they have a batch (holiday house for non kiwis ) right on the waters edge of lake Taupo- will head up to Ruapehu as well. Fantastic place.
    Whoa sounds really nice!!! Jealous

Thats why I'll head north from Wellington - have friends who live in Hawkes bay and they have a batch (holiday house for non kiwis ) right on the waters edge of lake Taupo- will head up to Ruapehu as well. Fantastic place.
    This is why the fixture is so attractive to Wellington. Probably 7-10,000 tourists will head over and spend $1000 each. Do the math. Good for the local economy. Same for all of those distributed games (Darwin, Tiges selling to GC, Launie and Hobart etc.). AFL is good tourism bait.

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Whoa sounds really nice!!! Jealous
    It is a stunning location - And you look across the lake & mt Ruapehu is in the distance - can recommend a tour of the cellar at the big bottle shop opposite the lake - its huge !!! But if any of you can do it- then do it. Make a holiday of it - you won't regret it!!!
    Last edited by Wardy; 12th September 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Veterans List
    The winner will be the side that can handle the strong wind. One place that no one bothers with a toupee.

On the Rookie List
    I walked in the door tonight and told the wife that being a swans supporter just got a lot more expensive "we have to go watch the swans play in Wellington, ANZAC weekend"
    "well it looks like its a New Zealand holiday for my 50th" was her reply
    perfect
    I'm from Wellington so it will be, visit sister in the North Island for a week before the game and then off down the South Island for a week to visit the brother
    Win Win Win for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The winner will be the side that can handle the strong wind. One place that no one bothers with a toupee.
    Yeah forgot about that - it can get a bit hairy landing in windy Wellington too sometimes you feel like the plane will miss the runway. It's a lovely compact city. I'm quite fond of NZ!!

Happy and I know it
    Sounds like this game calls for a RWO excursion with Wardy as the tour guide. Charter a plane and a bus for the touring?
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Sounds like this game calls for a RWO excursion with Wardy as the tour guide. Charter a plane and a bus for the touring?
    "Wardy's Wild Windy isles Wine Wevellers" has a certain ring too it - I can promise that as I look after all of the Scottish Takeaways for Aust & Nz in my day job, we will not be EVER frequenting any of them - we will see many vineyards, establishments with incredible views (and wine lists) breweries for the beer lovers - thermal pools to relieve a aches and pains - amazing natural wonders (which generally have fantastic cafe's etc and wine) for the nut bags - you can bungy jump whilst we taste regional cheeses, local produce and wine - basically its Pre season training for a good dose of gout - but it will be fun!!!
    did I mention the wine???;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    The club has requested another 6 Melbourne games so it's up to the AFL to deliver that.

The flights are about $500 return which is a bit much, I'd probably go via Auckland though for a deal (they're about $300 return if you get a good deal)
    The most awesome thing about the announcement being now is its still a good 7 months out from it - so can just wait for the deals to come around for flights and the like, as we know when they will be playing I am definitely going if I can convince the other half to come with - ha maybe even if I can't convince the other half to come :P

Sounds fun though somewhat pointless. Can't imagine even the drawing power of Goodes and Lewis J puncturing the smug veil of Kiwi parochialism. On the upside it will mean our lads will avoid the hail of abuse which I believe is the traditional NZ welcome for Aussie teams.

We can get the locals onside with a cheer squad banner that reads: "More than all others - Australians and NZers - Forever Blood brothers"

Just wild about Harry
    It is a stunning location - And you look across the lake & mt Ruapehu is in the distance - can recommend a tour of the cellar at the big bottle shop opposite the lake - its huge !!! But if any of you can do it- then do it. Make a holiday of it - you won't regret it!!!
    How many of us can you fit, Wardy?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast