Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All Australian Team

Regular in the Side
    I find it amusing that the selectors made statements about the need to 'balance' the team as if it were literally going to run out against an opponent. I thought it was simply the best player in each position? Justifies their choice of nic nat over Jacobs and our Joey on the bench amongst others. Not convinced of total transparency in this process and not simply bc jetts and kizza missed out. Pavs omission was glaring. Congrats Joshy, our champion!

There are always going to be a few very unlucky to miss out. Can't fault selecting Rioli over Jetta. Even though it's supposed to be just for this year, Cyril has been a star for a few year running. If Jetts continues on next year, he should make it. Didn't expect Jack to make the final 22. When you think Mitchell and Selwood missed out, you can't really expect Jack to find a spot in the final team. But great effort by both to make the short list and Richards and Kennedy selection expected and well deserved. Surprised Dempster made it. I was nearly certain Taylor would find a spot. But he had a great year and happy to see he made the cut. I was sad to see him go. He was always a solid defender.

All Australian Team

Nic Nat is exciting but all I can recall are his errors! I don't think he was that good this season.

All Australian Team

Another one is Jack Riewoldt. How often does the Coleman medallist miss out? Couldn't even squeeze him onto the bench? And didn't feel the need to justify The fact he wasn't selected. Wasn't his greatest year, but he was still the most potent forward in the comp this year.

Rioli and Jetta are not really comparable players - I don't think it's fair to say that Jetta's spot was taken by Rioli. I think Jetta was overlooked because he has fallen off a bit later in the season, so that's probably fair enough. He'll be better next year and win it then.

Natanui was a bit surprising. He strikes me as being like Gary Rohan - heaps of potential and will be a great player soon, but the hype is a little bit ahead of the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Can't fault selecting Rioli over Jetta. Even though it's supposed to be just for this year, Cyril has been a star for a few year running. If Jetts continues on next year, he should make it. ...
    What, in front of some other poor bugger who has a better year, but because Jets had a better year this year, we'll give it to him next year??

You said yourself, 'it's supposed to be just for this year', so the selection of Cyril in front of Jetta (and probably a few others if you want to look elsewhere) is a @@@@ing joke.

Good night, I'm pissed off and going to bed....

Edit, not pissed with you Ludwig, just the frustrating selectors ... lol
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Another one is Jack Riewoldt. How often does the Coleman medallist miss out? Couldn't even squeeze him onto the bench? And didn't feel the need to justify The fact he wasn't selected. Wasn't his greatest year, but he was still the most potent forward in the comp this year.
    Exactly right. Riewoldt kicked the most goals this year, but the media are still frothing over hawkins kicking that goal after the siren. I cant stand hawkins, most overrated bloke in the AFL. Riewoldt should have been their.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Regular in the Side
    Ah yes, absent from the panel tonight was Glen Jacovich, a devoted eagles man. Given the make up of the final team, he is clearly an influential man! Good luck to him. And Bartlett, I expect he is hard to argue against! Certainly the impression he gives IMO.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    Exactly right. Riewoldt kicked the most goals this year, but the media are still frothing over hawkins kicking that goal after the siren. I cant stand hawkins, most overrated bloke in the AFL. Riewoldt should have been their.
    I don't think that hawkins is overrated but dean cox should have been ruck, Pavlich should have been FF and Hawkins should have been in the other pocket. The selection of Nic Nat is a joke and should be treated as such.

Veterans List
    Delighted for Josh (tho he should have been in the starting line-up) and thrilled for Ted who must have been close to first defender picked. Also fantatstic stuff for Sean Dempster who had an outstanding year - couldn't happen to a nicer young fella.

Tho I wasn't convinced for Jetts or Kizza, think they may well have deserved a spot in front of some of the names there?

You know what stuff all the selectors! Some of the picks and non-picks are nothing short of farcical. Mitchell and Pav get held out for players like Pendles and Rioli. Don't even get me started on NicNat.

The fact that this award and the Brownlow is given such gravitas despite the utter incompetence of the people who select the award recipients...mind-blowing.

Nevertheless, well done to Teddy and Joey and bad luck to KJ who should feel robbed after seeing some of the names on the bench (apart from Joey of course!).

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    What, in front of some other poor bugger who has a better year, but because Jets had a better year this year, we'll give it to him next year??

You said yourself, 'it's supposed to be just for this year', so the selection of Cyril in front of Jetta (and probably a few others if you want to look elsewhere) is a @@@@ing joke.

Good night, I'm pissed off and going to bed....

Edit, not pissed with you Ludwig, just the frustrating selectors ... lol
    I was trying to find the rationale for the selectors leaving out Jetta. I imagined that they wanted to have one x-factor player and the choice was between Jetta and Rioli. I don't agree with the selection, but we all know the 'love' pundits have had for Rioli from the time he came into the league. It shouldn't be the case, but I am sure that Rioli's class performance over several years influenced the decision. In isolation, it's hard to find fault including Rioli in the AA squad. Just unfortunate that it didn't leave a spot for Jetta.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast