Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans: Just win.

Regular in the Side
    It will have been 7 years, 2 months and 28 days since Sydney last beat the Pies. In essence, 2647 days. To quote Gough Whitlam's election slogan of 1972: "Its Time!"

God-damn, I am excited by this game!

I am very new to AFL and therefore know very little but I have a few thoughts on the keys to Friday's clash:

1. As has been said, clearances are important. In the round 20 match, the AFL.com site says swans lost the clearances by 10 (51-41) despite winning hit outs (48-68). Coll did not have Swan either. So I think the first thing we need to is bring up the clearances (or lower Coll's clearances).

There are other options. The other way we have won the ball this year is intercepts around the defensive fifty, and rebound. The problem with the intercept model is that it was build on Jetta's run and carry through the middle. And while I think he has been alright(better then most people seem to have him), taggers have put themselves between him and the goal a lot in the second half of the season and this cuts off his run. That, or just denied him the ball full stop. Also, being rebound heavy requires a very high disposal efficiency, which versing Coll in a final, I wouldn't want to rely on. The other side to the clearances is that, despite the fact that our defense can repel a @@@@-load of inside fifties, any defense struggles if it is coming in straight from the center. So clearances are king in this game. That being said, if we both win clearances and intercept well, we are devastating. This is what was happening for 3/4 of the Essendon game.

2. Another thing I think we need is possessions by Goodes and Jetta front of center. When these guys have possessions in our attacking half, we score. If they are outside the fifty, they usually put the ball into a dangerous area. Or inside, Goodes creates with speed and strength and Jetta can kick them from anywhere or by getting goal side. I think they will also have good enough delivery to lessen Ben Reid's impact on the game, and lessen Coll's rebound.

3. Finally, we need Jude and Morton to play small. Both of these guys can lead, mark and goal. And if that is available, yippee! But I would bet that the ball will be coming inside 50 under a lot of pressure. We need someone to crumb and apply a tonne of forward defensive pressure. Jude can do this. And Morton looked to me to be up for it. It is the 'messy' kind of goals that are going to win this game, I reckon.

If it was not clear from the post, all this can be taken with a big dose of IMO,

Go Swans!

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Maintain composure, cool heads win finals. Play in front, play the ball.
    Don't give away silly frees. Kick truly.
    = Historic win for Sydney.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    Maintain composure, cool heads win finals. Play in front, play the ball.
    Don't give away silly frees. Kick truly.
    = Historic win for Sydney.
    And play for the full time with desperation.Never assume you can or cannot win it until the final siren blows.Never ease off! Stuff ups lose the game .Remember Ablett in 2005.We were so lucky that didn't cost us the Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jam View Post

I am very new to AFL and therefore know very little but I have a few thoughts on the keys to Friday's clash:

1. As has been said, clearances are important. In the round 20 match, the AFL.com site says swans lost the clearances by 10 (51-41) despite winning hit outs (48-68). Coll did not have Swan either. So I think the first thing we need to is bring up the clearances (or lower Coll's clearances).

There are other options. The other way we have won the ball this year is intercepts around the defensive fifty, and rebound. The problem with the intercept model is that it was build on Jetta's run and carry through the middle. And while I think he has been alright(better then most people seem to have him), taggers have put themselves between him and the goal a lot in the second half of the season and this cuts off his run. That, or just denied him the ball full stop. Also, being rebound heavy requires a very high disposal efficiency, which versing Coll in a final, I wouldn't want to rely on. The other side to the clearances is that, despite the fact that our defense can repel a @@@@-load of inside fifties, any defense struggles if it is coming in straight from the center. So clearances are king in this game. That being said, if we both win clearances and intercept well, we are devastating. This is what was happening for 3/4 of the Essendon game.

2. Another thing I think we need is possessions by Goodes and Jetta front of center. When these guys have possessions in our attacking half, we score. If they are outside the fifty, they usually put the ball into a dangerous area. Or inside, Goodes creates with speed and strength and Jetta can kick them from anywhere or by getting goal side. I think they will also have good enough delivery to lessen Ben Reid's impact on the game, and lessen Coll's rebound.

3. Finally, we need Jude and Morton to play small. Both of these guys can lead, mark and goal. And if that is available, yippee! But I would bet that the ball will be coming inside 50 under a lot of pressure. We need someone to crumb and apply a tonne of forward defensive pressure. Jude can do this. And Morton looked to me to be up for it. It is the 'messy' kind of goals that are going to win this game, I reckon.

If it was not clear from the post, all this can be taken with a big dose of IMO,

Go Swans!
    For someone new to the game, that is pretty spot on analysis I think! Point 3 is key - it doesn't necessarily have to be Jude, could be Parker or a few other of the midfielders who can rest up that way. Most importantly for us in that is the defensive pressure. We have to make every black and white feral defender accountable and under pressure. Do not let them rebound under any circumstances.... especially Harry O'Brien and Goldsack, who are likely to be chief outlets in the absence of Maxwell. We need them to feel under pressure every time they get the ball and rush their attempts at rebounds. Do that, like we did to Adelaide in week 1, and whilst they may rebound, invariably the results are much easier for our defence to deal with.

The way I see it is that if we come away with a win, we are a red hot chance against the Hawks.

This is exactly the test the boys need. If we can't beat the pies on Friday, we were going to be no chance against the Hawks.

What will be, will be.

It can be done.
    "My theory is that the universe is made out of stupidity because it's more plentiful than hydrogen" - Frank Zappa

Swans: Just win.

I will take all the loses we have had in a row against these clowns just for this one win. It makes up for it more than 10 fold.

To the boys - believe in yourselves like we believe in you and anything is possible. Stand tall , play hard, play fair - take it all in, never give up. This is indeed greatness we are about to witness. Just give it a red hot go!!!! Love & hugs Wardy x(multiplied by 30 - including coaching staff etc) oh yeah I forgot to add GO SWANS!!!!
    Last edited by Wardy; 19th September 2012 at 06:45 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other one thing.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Pressure the @@@@ out of them....give them a taste of their own medicine.
    Settle our nerves early and get the ascendancy.

Help out Teddy as much as you can Grundy especially if Dawes doesn't come up.

This is our time...cmon swans!
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Senior Player
    Don't worry , Baz - I guarantee you , Shaw and Reid will be on the winning side

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jam View Post

Go Swans!
    Burt? Burt? Where for art thou Burt? Is that you? If so, I like your new humble self. If not, keep the Jam coming.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast