Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky time to be a swans fan

Lucky time to be a swans fan

You know I can never get past how hard the swans fan base did it down here from 1945. I have been blessed with now three grand finals (missed 1996 because I was in Canberra), repeated finals campaigns and a club whose leaders are respected across the entirety of the afl landscape. On top of that we have continued to see great players like goodes, Lockett, Kelly, cresswell and just an amazing array of talented workers.

And amongst it all I look back on the role, barassi, eade, roos, maxfield, Kelly, longmire, and now mcveigh and just thank my lucky stars about the sides I have managed to support.

I can't wait til Saturday. If super teddy is right we can give this a real shake I reckon.

Blog Entries
    We have certainly been blessed over the last 10 years, Compared to previous eras.
    Only missing the finals a couple of times.

Goodes and Jude are the most experienced campaigners out there with 22 finals each under there belt.

If some had told me 10 years ago we'd be playing in 22 finals, 3 Grand finals, and winning (at least) one.
    I would have said you're dreaming.

It's been a great era.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    It's been a great era.
    and will continue to be for some time yet I reckon.

Yep, I think we are just getting started. With clever trading and hopefully some good draft picking, imagine getting Alex at 57? We should be up there for another ten years.
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

I have two nephews born in 1999. It is remarkable that at age 13 they will have seen the Swans in three grand finals! Compares well to those of us who are a bit older and have only seen one more!!!

I also think of the legions of swans fans who have come and gone between 1933 and 2005 - they would never believe the riches we latter day followers have been lucky to enjoy. Hopefully they are looking down from somewhere and enjoying the ride along with the rest of us!

If someone had said to me at the end of the 1995 season. In the next 17 years Sydney will play in the finals for 14 out of the next 17 seasons, be minor premiers once, reach 4 grand finals and win 1 and possibly 2. I would have bet the house on that not happening.

I started following them in 1970. I can remember if they won a game while playing at the Lake Oval it was like a Grand Final win. I'm of to my 4th Grand Final in 16 years. I'm hopeful that we can square the ledger and give me that 2005 feeling again
    You Just Do Not Get a Better Grand Final Win Than That

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    If someone had said to me at the end of the 1995 season. In the next 17 years Sydney will play in the finals for 14 out of the next 17 seasons, be minor premiers once, reach 4 grand finals and win 1 and possibly 2. I would have bet the house on that not happening.
    It really grates me that the Swans haven't totally been given the respect by the critics and experts in Melbourne. Imagine the gushings of adulation from the media if this record belong to a Victorian club!

Been following them since 1977. If you can get through the early 90's, you can get through anything!!!!

Just wish we had more bloody members!

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Just wish we had more bloody members!
    I agree, though I was thankful that the relative lack of membership led to my GF ballot being successful!

i'm with you on the 70's at the lake Oval - generally bleak days. The only game to look fwd to was the one v Nth Melb. Go the Bloods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast