Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney v Hawthorn - THE GRAND FINAL (Let's discuss!)

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    I'm more than happy for articles saying that Hawthorn are certain winners, have had their scare, etc to come out and let the Hawks think they're entitled.

In my opinion we have the better rucks, midfield and defence. They may have a few more players capable of anything (Franklin, Rioli, Burgoyne) but then Goodes is back in form and Jetta is playing well again. BLT shapes as a weapon for us, and has proven grand final expertise.

Will be a great game.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Interesting reading interviews with Josh's grandfather about the game, obviously he is a Hawthorn man through and through but even though he'll be barracking for the Hawks, he wasn't exactly bullish about their chances, merely saying that he hoped that they could do it and that they have an "enormous chance", and that he'd be happy "if" Hawthorn win. Maybe I am reading too much into it as he could just be talking them down, but the comments read more like he is well aware of the challenge that they face against the Swans.

If Goodes fires and has a blinder, we will win.

To me, it's as simple as this.

Quote Originally Posted by Industrial Fan View Post
    I'm more than happy for articles saying that Hawthorn are certain winners, have had their scare, etc to come out and let the Hawks think they're entitled.
    Don't worry, there is going to be no shortage of those this week! Plenty are completely writing us off as having any chance, saying Hawthorn can't play that poorly again, too classy, we cant play at the G, blah, blah blah, blah blah! Bring it on I say - the more times the boys hear it, the more that the boys will be out to prove them wrong. We all know however that we are good enough,and it'll take Hawthorn's very very best to beat us, and even then, that may not be enough.

Rohan Connolly does tip us to get beat in another article by 28 points, but I think he is a pretty good writer and I do like this article - sums up nicely just how far this club has come in the last couple of decades.

Don't sell this heavyweight short

And Captain, I reckon your not far from the mark with that comment. He is the one man for us that if on form I don't think Hawthorn have an answer for. We can win the flag with Goodes not having a big influence, but we have a far greater chance

Goes up to 11
    If we can keep up the fantastic pressure that has won the last 2 semis, we will go a long way towards winning this one. Our last 2 games we have done a brilliant job at shutting down the space when the opposition has the ball and limiting their time, their options and their effectiveness. Clean disposal is at the heart of the Hawks game and if we can do everything to knock them off their game when they have the ball, and keep it up for the entire match, we might just get them....

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    5 days out the forecast is for showers. I think that might make us even more of the underdog.

When the game is in the balance the Hawks go to Mitchell and Burgoyne as their key mids. (Yes I agree they have more options, however..) We need to block their influence at the critical times. What I am implying is the right amount of attack and defence at critical times.

On reflection on the past couple of tight games. They have been important when the Hawks wanted to put "their stamp" on the game. Nullify these moments are critical to our chances. Recognise when to open the gates and close them.

And the only other comment for early in the week is! The winner will be the team that can kick straight! Practice, pressure kicking, good technique will result in straight kicks and goals will come. Slow down early in the game for set kicks. (Goodesy could pass the ball off in stead of getting the yips or Mal could count his steps on kicking in...)

Rod_

On Footy Classified 2 out of 3 tipped us to win. Suddenly feeling confident.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant turn right View Post
    5 days out the forecast is for showers. I think that might make us even more of the underdog.
    Not sure about this. In the past I would agree, but not now.

We don't rely on tall marking forwards and have more in and under type players. They only have Mitchell and Sewell, whilst we have Kennedy, Jack, Bird, Hanners and ROK.

Guys - chill. Let's wait till we get the GF before talking about it.

Oh wait.... WE DID!!!!
    -

Warming the Bench Cant turn right's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Not sure about this. In the past I would agree, but not now.

We don't rely on tall marking forwards and have more in and under type players. They only have Mitchell and Sewell, whilst we have Kennedy, Jack, Bird, Hanners and ROK.
    It's hard to deny that the Hawks are a very skillful team. I am going on the adage that superior skills become more pronounced in the wet

We used to be a good wet weather team, but we were 'orrible in all those rainy games at the SCG in 2011. On the other hand we do have arguably the greatest wet weather footy player in the AFL on our team and about to play his 301st game.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast