Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney v Hawthorn - THE GRAND FINAL (Let's discuss!)

Wink Sydney v Hawthorn - THE GRAND FINAL (Let's discuss!)

WOW!!

Sydney fans...here we are 6 years since the last GF appearance! The excitement is building, the tickets are selling and the last Saturday in September is not far away.

Post your pre match thoughts / match ups etc here.

GO SWANS!!
    Swannies for life!

Blog Entries
    Nothing like jumping the gun Matt!!

If we play like we did on Saturday we're a chance to win.
    If we don't kick it to the defenders all the time we're a huge chance!!

I'd prefer we played like we did on Friday, Scott

One match up we absolutely have to orchestra is LRT on Gibson. After doing an amazing forward defensive role on Reid, he is just the man to make Gibson accountable and draw him away from the contest to stop him always going third man up.

On the Rookie List
    Anyone heading to the training session on Tuesday? I hope there is a good turn out.

We need our A game, and nothing less. If we can be physical all over the ground, and give 100% at every contest, were a big chance.

Im just thinking of Franklin and Rioli... they are dangerous, we somehow need to quell them! However, in the back of my mind, im thinking.. surely they cant play 2 good games in a row! especially Rioli!
    Its going to be a looonnggg week.

On the Rookie List
    Like just about all games the battle in the middle will be massive - clearances and the quality of them will be huge. I reckon we match up quite well with their gun forwards - two proper talls in Ted/Reg (Buddy and Roughy/Hale), a great in betweener in AJ (for Gunston probably), Smooch (Rioli). Breust to try and shut down Shaw's run and kick a few. Marty and Eski rolling across a few different types. They may give the Lewis a role on Shaw as a defensive forward instead, would be a massive test for Rhyce. Ted may take Buddy inside 50, with another defender/mid keeping an eye on him when he roams. He's a freak and loves the big stage. Makes me shudder.

Birdman will more than likely get another forward tag job, he's doing it beautifully at the moment in bobbing up to kick a few - Birchall the No.1 but whoever's on Suckling (Morton or McGlynn, perhaps) will have to careful. Great left shoe.

Statton has got Goodesy before, could well happen again. Shoenmakers on Reid, Gibson on LRT/ruckman and trying to zone off. One of our forwards has to sacrifice their own game to get Gibson away from contests. Once you separate their defenders, they can be found out (Tippett on the weekend was able to monster Shoey because Tex Walker took Gibson away). Will be fascinating to watch.

Our mids are made for the big dance, where it's less about tactical genius and more about attrition. JPK, ROK and Hanners were immense on Friday. KJ to maybe minimise Mitchell. Sewell to JPK? Burgoyne is a danger too. Jetta will be locked down upon. Hopefully the wide ground gives him the chance to put the burners on. Could be a real X-Factor for us, he had a reputation from his U18s with WA and WAFL with Swan Districts of turning it on in big games. Let's hope. Go the Bloods.
    Twitter: @tp_rose

Quote Originally Posted by JudesaGun View Post
    One match up we absolutely have to orchestra is LRT on Gibson. After doing an amazing forward defensive role on Reid, he is just the man to make Gibson accountable and draw him away from the contest to stop him always going third man up.
    That and get Reidy on Schoenmakers and drag him to the square - 1 on 1 he looks very susceptible, and I have no doubt that Sammy can not play as badly as he did against Collingwood. We can not let Hawthorn have a loose man patrolling in our 50. LRT was wonderful on Friday I though, so he is the obvious one for Gibson.

I think the game will be decided in the middle. If we can break even on clearances and be equal on inside 50's, then I think we can win. The battle in the midfield will be brutal, but we have to make them play like they did for the 1st 1.75 quarters at the SCG and the second half in Launceston. To do that, we need pressure, pressure and more pressure. Make them think that there is always a swan waiting for every handball, every kick, every time they turn around. Do that, as Adelaide did well, and they will make mistakes.

Most importantly though, we must take our chances. We were wasteful on Friday night against Collingwood, and if we do that again on the big day, then we will not win. Accurate kicking keeps you in games, and puts pressure on your opponents. Look at Adelaide - plenty of less scoring shots but almost knocked Hawthorn off and had them playing well below their best for a lot of that match.

It is going to be such a long long week this week! We are in this grand final up to our necks, and if we play to our best, we have every chance of walking away with the Cup!

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Set shot kicking !! Has to improve.

Agree... we need to kick straight early, to set the seed for the rest of the game. Have to take our chances.

Two things we need to improve are kicking accuracy in front of goal, and bloody turnovers. Hawthorn are not Collingwood, if we turn the ball over as much as we did on Friday, Hawks will kill us on the rebound. A fast intense start is essential
    You can't argue with a sick mind - Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    Two things we need to improve are kicking accuracy in front of goal, and bloody turnovers. Hawthorn are not Collingwood, if we turn the ball over as much as we did on Friday, Hawks will kill us on the rebound. A fast intense start is essential
    At the same time, if the Hawks play the way they did against the Crows....I would feel confident. I think both teams were a bit off...gonna be a super granny.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast