Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney v Hawthorn - THE GRAND FINAL (Let's discuss!)

Opti-pessi-misti
    Finals pressure does strange things to players/teams. Against the Crows we kicked beautifully for goal, including Goodsey, and the Crows couldm't buy a goal. Friday night we were the opposite. Was it at the beginning of the last quarter that we had kicked 2 points in a row and then Morton I think hit the post - the crowd in my bay, as one voice called out, O.h.h.h.h.h...NOOOOOOOOO! It was a funny moment. Then on Saturday, the Crows kicked accurately and the Hawks were as bad as we were.

What is going to happen this Saturday!!!!!!!

On the Rookie List swansprincess's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Finals pressure does strange things to players/teams. Against the Crows we kicked beautifully for goal, including Goodsey, and the Crows couldm't buy a goal. Friday night we were the opposite. Was it at the beginning of the last quarter that we had kicked 2 points in a row and then Morton I think hit the post - the crowd in my bay, as one voice called out, O.h.h.h.h.h...NOOOOOOOOO! Then on Saturday, the Crows kicked accurately and the Hawks were as bad as we were.

I'm hoping that now we've made the big one a bit of pressure will be off. I mean, we are not really expected to win, so the boys essentially have nothing to lose. And hopefully they'll just go out there and lay it all on the line and if that's not good enough, then so be it, but at least they did enough to know they couldn't have done anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by swansprincess View Post
    I'm hoping that now we've made the big one a bit of pressure will be off. I mean, we are not really expected to win, so the boys essentially have nothing to lose. And hopefully they'll just go out there and lay it all on the line and if that's not good enough, then so be it, but at least they did enough to know they couldn't have done anything more.
    That's my thinking as well. We are going to not be expected to win, and the boys we know will have a real go and rip in. It may be that we play close to our best footy and not win - if that happens, well done to the Hawks! If we do that though, I would be very suprised if we are not the ones lifting the cup. Our best football is very very good indeed.

But we definitely know, win lose or draw, it won't be because our boys left anything in the change rooms - in true Bloods style, they will throw absolutely everything at it!

I think we're in better shape approaching this GF than we were in either 2005 or 2006.

We weren't expected to win back then, because of all the attention on West Coast's star-studded line-up. Our path through the finals was somewhat fragile - we just got over the line in the 2005 semi, and then in the qualifying final in 2006.

This year, our performance through the finals has been much more solid (and satisfying). Two five goal wins against our traditional bogey teams, including an away win.

We've also beaten our opponent this weekend earlier this year in convincing fashion - and they've demonstrated a clear susceptibility to pressure on more than one occasion during the season.

I think we're a genuine chance to beat the Hawks on Saturday.

The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

sydney are a huge chance on saturday ..our defence the best in comp..our mids better ..their fowards edge ours-- however one thing i have noticed with franklin.if he misses his first set shot of the day then he misses all day ..his first shot will be a real barometer for the sort of day he will have ..the more the press talks about how hawks having sydney covered the more it will galvanise our team..they will bleed the ground red in this final and i really don't think hawthorn likes the fight like our guys do..sydney all the way

Veterans List
    Sam has to stick his marks. He dropped 4 dead set sitters last game.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodbrother View Post
    sydney are a huge chance on saturday ..our defence the best in comp..our mids better ..their fowards edge ours-- however one thing i have noticed with franklin.if he misses his first set shot of the day then he misses all day ..his first shot will be a real barometer for the sort of day he will have ..the more the press talks about how hawks having sydney covered the more it will galvanise our team..they will bleed the ground red in this final and i really don't think hawthorn likes the fight like our guys do..sydney all the way
    We have to cut off his supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We have to cut off his supply.
    As important as the one on one contest with Franklin will be, we need to cut his scoring ability off at its root in midfield. Starve their forward line of good, clean ball entering the forward 50 (i.e. the quantity doesn't matter if it is poor delivery, as we have shown several times this season) and we can limit his influence. A player of his class will always kick goals in almost every game, but if we can keep him to 2 or 3 goals, we will go a long way to winning the flag!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    We used to be a good wet weather team, but we were 'orrible in all those rainy games at the SCG in 2011. On the other hand we do have arguably the greatest wet weather footy player in the AFL on our team and about to play his 301st game.
    Right about Jude but the coaches have some hard thinking to do about big Mike, Sam and any other players who are a worry in the wet. Hawthorn have the strong mids to drive the ball forward (Hodge and Burgoyne as well as their smaller mids) and we have the mids to match them.But there must be some serious thought given as to whether we can afford to have 2 players up front who are already lacking form not being able to handle the conditions and whether there are players that can do it better in the wet.
    A particularly difficult decision with McGlynn possibly coming into the side and someone needing to go out (do Morton or Parker go out or is it Mike?).
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    I've noticed the Canadian from Vancouver Island does alright in the wet. It's his natural habitat so that's not too surprising. It's be like saying don't play Macca because, growing up on the Central Coast, he wouldn't be used to sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Finals pressure does strange things to players/teams. Against the Crows we kicked beautifully for goal, including Goodsey, and the Crows couldm't buy a goal. Friday night we were the opposite. Was it at the beginning of the last quarter that we had kicked 2 points in a row and then Morton I think hit the post - the crowd in my bay, as one voice called out, O.h.h.h.h.h...NOOOOOOOOO! It was a funny moment. Then on Saturday, the Crows kicked accurately and the Hawks were as bad as we were.

I'm not sure it's the finals pressure. More likely to be the week off I think. We'll be all right this weekend though.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast