Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grand Final umpires announced

OK with most of them. Not comfortable with Meredith over the years, but lately has appeared to have learned the rules. No issues here. OMEN!!!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Major props to Chelsea for getting the gig.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    From memory in our PF there were 10 free kicks to half time which is great. The game flows better, no question.

Hope we get a similar display and not a stunted game like the other pf.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Senior Player
    Bet Jetta is happy to have to have the same team..licence to run!!

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Bet Jetta is happy to have to have the same team..licence to run!!
    Rosebury was doing a pretty good job keeping up chasing Jets and Brown. I reckon he was too buggered to put the whistle to the mouth to pull him back...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Jetta did not break rules. It is defined as 15 steps, he never took 15 steps in between bounces. A long strider

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Jetta did not break rules. It is defined as 15 steps, he never took 15 steps in between bounces. A long strider
    Unfortunately not. Jeff Gieschen spoke about the goal in this week's review with the umpires here... It's Your Call - AFL Finals Week 3 2012 - YouTube and confirmed its 15 metres, not steps. I suspect the umpires will focus on it more in tye GF.

Interestingly, he confirmed all the incorrect calls in Hawks/Crows game favoured the Hawks. With only 5 points the difference its pretty clear why the umpires from that game were dumped.

Quote Originally Posted by iigrover View Post
    Unfortunately not. Jeff Gieschen spoke about the goal in this week's review with the umpires here... It's Your Call - AFL Finals Week 3 2012 - YouTube and confirmed its 15 metres, not steps. I suspect the umpires will focus on it more in tye GF.

Interestingly, he confirmed all the incorrect calls in Hawks/Crows game favoured the Hawks. With only 5 points the difference its pretty clear why the umpires from that game were dumped.
    Yep never trust SEN again

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by desredandwhite View Post
    Meredith is a shocker. Chelsea made one brilliant decision and one howler last weekend. Good on her for getting the gig though!
    Yes that well behind the line touch by Tarrant was woeful. Still can't work out why they didn't call for the review. But they love her down at AFL House and she was probably inked in well before last week, purely for publicity reasons. After all she was on OTC not long back.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Yes that well behind the line touch by Tarrant was woeful. Still can't work out why they didn't call for the review. But they love her down at AFL House and she was probably inked in well before last week, purely for publicity reasons. After all she was on OTC not long back.
    Just saw the video. It was behind the line regardless of the padding. The overhead shows that. Just covering their backsides. By the way that decision by the umpire 100 metres behind the game goes to show that the umpire in the area should be the only one making the decision, apart from behind the play infringements.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Reggi mate, it's 15m - same distance as the minimum for a mark.

AFL Law 15.2.2 (b) - 2012 lawbook

(b) Where a Player is moving whilst in possession of the football, the Player must bounce or touch the football on the ground at least once every 15 metres, irrespective of whether such Player is running in a straight line or otherwise.

As an aussie rules umpire myself in district/junior footy, the easiest way is to count the steps which is usually 10-12 steps depending on the size of the player.

And if you do watch the video of his goal (it was pretty cool, still) he took about 17 steps between one of the bounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I thought they had a pretty good game the other night and there were very few complaints that I could see either way. I think we were lucky to get the HTB on Pendles early and it looked like LRT pushed Reid in the back before marking (and missing).
    It was very tough on Pendles. Ironically, O'Keefe is usually on the receiving end of that kind of call. (I yell at the TV set every time). Overall was a good game by the umps though - a very low free kick count.

Giesh's comments on Jetta's goal were interesting. I would think that whatever is said in public, the umpire in question would not be copping too much stick in private. No-one wants the umpires "adjusting" the rules on the fly but if ever there was a case that was it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast