Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grand Final umpires announced

I've been watching footy for a long time and I'm sure plenty of others here are in the same boat.

I reckon you just KNOW if somebody has run too far. You don't need to count steps, don't need to step it out, don't need to measure it, you just know.

As Dennis Denuto would say, "It's just ... the VIBE ... of the thing.

I guess I was too busy screaming my lungs out at the time, but I never got 'the Vibe' during Jets' run...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I've been watching footy for a long time and I'm sure plenty of others here are in the same boat.

I reckon you just KNOW if somebody has run too far. You don't need to count steps, don't need to step it out, don't need to measure it, you just know.

As Dennis Denuto would say, "It's just ... the VIBE ... of the thing.

I guess I was too busy screaming my lungs out at the time, but I never got 'the Vibe' during Jets' run...
    Tell "em " their dreaming!!!!!!!

Sweet home Novacastria
    Watch the 15m call be the rule of the week in the granny, as the deliberate oob has been at times this year

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    ... For the Smith kick, she was in perfect position and no vision I have seen of it has been conclusive, which means there would have been no overturning of the decision, so the behind would have stood even if referred.
    I don't think she was in the perfect position. She did not "straddle" the line evenly, she was a bit behind the line. If she believed that she was centred over the line of course she would have called "touched", but she wasn't perfectly centred and it was, IMHO, the wrong call.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I don't think she was in the perfect position. She did not "straddle" the line evenly, she was a bit behind the line. If she believed that she was centred over the line of course she would have called "touched", but she wasn't perfectly centred and it was, IMHO, the wrong call.
    If you watch the video discussion in "It's Your Call" (posted above) what they say is that she was in fact in perfect position because the rule is that the whole of the ball has to be past the back of the padding on the post for it to be a goal. That is why she is not positioned straddling the line which would be too far forward.
    Last edited by Meg; 26th September 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Typo

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    If you watch the video discussion in "It's Your Call" (posted above) what they say is that she was in fact in perfect position because the rule is that the whole of the ball has to be past the back of the padding on the post for it to be a goal. That is why she is not positioned straddling the line which would be too far forward.
    It is actually a bit of a stupid rule. Why don't they draw a line on the ground to indicate where the back of the padding ends? Surely that would make things a lot easier to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    It is actually a bit of a stupid rule. Why don't they draw a line on the ground to indicate where the back of the padding ends? Surely that would make things a lot easier to judge?
    I agree and I don't think it's a rule at all. The padding only comes into it if the ball actually contacts the padding on the post. The goal line determines if the ball is a goal otherwise. Another one of those AFL rules 'on the fly', I think.

This definition of a goal from "the rule book":12.1.1 Scoring a Goal
    Subject to Law 12.2, a Goal is scored when the football is Kicked
    completely over the Goal Line by a Player of the attacking Team
    without being touched by any other Player, even if the football
    first touches the ground.

I think what they are saying is that the "goal line" is defined as being the back of the padding, not the boundary line painted on the grass.

Yep, ridiculous.

Imagine a scenario similar to the 'did it cross the line' scenario in Pies v Weagles SF. So the ball is rolling across the goal-line and clears the goal-line by 6 inches, clear for all to see. A defender picks the ball up and kicks it back into play. So it's 'play-on' because the whole of the ball didn't cross the imaginary line from back of padding to back of padding??? They'd rightly tear the joint down.

Agree with MadCanuck, making it up on the fly to suit the circumstances.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123