Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How good are we in the wet?

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I feel that our 22 is a bit top heavy. We have a lot of height in our forward and defensive lines that might struggle a bit if the ball is consistently below their knees. I am not sure that we have great replacements though (McGlynn would have been handy), but I make Parker start the game.
    Who would you have as sub? Morton? Not much difference in height between those two (3cm according to footywire
    I wouldn't put Pyke on the bench as the "two-up" scenario worked very well last week against a ruckman+forward/ruckman (even if the second one was injured) and this how the Hawks will play with Hale/Roughhead.
    Maybe you could put the Eski on the bench? This would leave us short on rebounders but maybe McVeigh could play across HB if Parker comes in and plays mid/HF?
    Also, does Parker have the match fitness to play 3/4's of wet Grand Final footy?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I would keep Morton on - he is a potential match-winner (even if that chance is slim, it is worth the punt keeping him in). Not sure about Parker's fitness - only those at the club would really know.

But if the game is wet (really wet) I don't think that the value of all our tall options will help us. It would be a very hard call to make, but perhaps someone like Pyke would need to miss, with LRT playing ruck when Mumford takes a break. Or, LRT plays back and Grundy is out, giving the selectors the option of bringing another ground runner into the team.

I don't think any of these things will happen (and I hope that they all have great games - I will not be hoping anyone that runs out on the ground fails), but I just feel that our team is not fully balanced - particularly in the wet.

The MCG should be in great condition. Very hot (26deg) now and strong winds will harden it up and the drainage is among the best in the world so surface will still play fast.
    Go Swans

...It would be a very hard call to make, but perhaps someone like Pyke would need to miss, with LRT playing ruck when Mumford takes a break. Or, LRT plays back and Grundy is out, giving the selectors the option of bringing another ground runner into the team...
    If we drop Pike and LRT plays fwd/ruck what happens if Teddy injures his ankle again? LRT would need to go back permanently leaving us with only Mummy rucking, not a good scenario if it happens in the first qtr.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    If we drop Pike and LRT plays fwd/ruck what happens if Teddy injures his ankle again? LRT would need to go back permanently leaving us with only Mummy rucking, not a good scenario if it happens in the first qtr.
    But thats just what happens. anything could happen. What if mummy gets injured in the first contest. Then what ? it is possible to plan for all eventualities but you just have to hope it all comes together on the day. as german general von moltke said - no battle plan survives the first contact with the enemy.

At the end of the day we just have to be harder for longer and convert when we get our chances. I'm really excited.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    We don't change anyone or anything. Parker for sub as he will have more impact than anyone else in the role, (a) because of where he plays, (b) because he is good at what he does, and (c) there can be no doubt about his fitness for a quarter or more of football.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    I would keep Morton on - he is a potential match-winner (even if that chance is slim, it is worth the punt keeping him in). Not sure about Parker's fitness - only those at the club would really know.

But if the game is wet (really wet) I don't think that the value of all our tall options will help us. It would be a very hard call to make, but perhaps someone like Pyke would need to miss, with LRT playing ruck when Mumford takes a break. Or, LRT plays back and Grundy is out, giving the selectors the option of bringing another ground runner into the team.

I don't think any of these things will happen (and I hope that they all have great games - I will not be hoping anyone that runs out on the ground fails), but I just feel that our team is not fully balanced - particularly in the wet.
    It'll be OK, they are watering Caufield racetrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    But thats just what happens. anything could happen....
    Sure "anything" could happen but it is more likely that Ted would re-injure his ankle than Mummy copping a serious injury.
    But, hey, if Mummy goes down we use Pike and LRT in the ruck, Parker or ROK play more of a HFF role than midfield and Pike wins a well deserved Norm Smith.

If its a complete wet bog then maybe jetta can be sub, and come on for an impact. Parker is already wearing the vest though i imagine he will have it on for the parade

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    We are shocking in the wet. If it is wet we are in serious trouble. Looks like only light rain though
    Don't agree Reggi we have played pretty well in the wet this year. We haven't lost because of it anyway. Last year I would have said we were a bit sus but not now, we can win in any weather.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Historically - awful
    This year - pretty good.

And I heard this morning that the odds on Jude for the NS shorten with every forecast.
    Last two years, much much better.

Wasn't it wet against the dogs when we kicked 9.0 in the first quarter?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast