Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Where to from here, looking ahead.

Senior Player
    Personally I don't give a toss about next year right now. This whole thread is akin to someone lighting up a cigarette during sex.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by snajik View Post
    Personally I don't give a toss about next year right now. This whole thread is akin to someone lighting up a cigarette during sex.
    Unfortunately, the only time to think about next year is right now (the trade period waits for no-one).

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Currie's performance in SA was featured in a RWO thread sometime mid-season.

I think we need another speedster, I reckon we have 5 (Goodes, Shaw, Jetta, Rohan and Cunningham), the first two will be 33 and 32 next season. So perhaps another speedster, especially if we intend to continue 'slingshot footy.'
    I think Jack and McGlynn have some speedster about them too. They are certainly quick enough to get into space often enough to be dangerous goal kicking options. And in the backline, Johnson's pace is pretty good too for his size - certainly he has enough to get himself out of trouble at times, and to close quickly on contests.

There is often a balance between having more speed / outside run and losing on the toughness / grunt / defensive ability. With Jack and McGlynn we lose none of that. The early signs are that Rohan is capable defensively too. It is too early to tell yet with Cunningham. The club seems to have spent this year trying to improve his inside game and I think there are reasons to be optimistic that he might become a well balanced, senior player within the next 12-24 months.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where to from here, looking ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Hard to say what will be with Nipper. I think he offers a lot. We know he's a great endurance athlete and is quick as well. Marks, kicks and tackles well. His decision making needs improvement, but I've been impressed with his skill set. Unfortunate that he didn't get a senior game this year. I think he was an emergency a few times, so the selectors must have thought he wasn't far off.
    I don't think Nippers disposal is good enough for senior footy. Plenty of enthusiasm but lacks execution.

It is a bit premature speculating on our 2013 team list before trade week and the draft has been completed, but I can't help wondering what our best 22 would be next year if everyone is injury free (just trying to fit McGlynn and Rohan into our GF team seems really difficult when looking at team balance).

Who would you have dropped / left out?

If Jude Bolton plays on, he'll be out of action with a knee reco for many months, so that would give Rohan a spot. I'd say he'd retire though.
    McGlynn would come in for Parker, or possibly Morton if he's a one-hit wonder. Bird would be still be fighting for a spot too. Probably Bird and Parker are fighting for the last midfielders spot.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think Jack and McGlynn have some speedster about them too. They are certainly quick enough to get into space often enough to be dangerous goal kicking options. And in the backline, Johnson's pace is pretty good too for his size - certainly he has enough to get himself out of trouble at times, and to close quickly on contests.
    There is often a balance between having more speed / outside run and losing on the toughness / grunt / defensive ability. With Jack and McGlynn we lose none of that. The early signs are that Rohan is capable defensively too. It is too early to tell yet with Cunningham. The club seems to have spent this year trying to improve his inside game and I think there are reasons to be optimistic that he might become a well balanced, senior player within the next 12-24 months.

Liz, you're quite right Jack and Benny do have some speedster about them, although how much of a speedster is "some" perhaps 70% and 60% respectively?
    Likewise AJ's pace is pretty good for his size (as is Pike's for that matter) but I don't think it helps the situation much (it's the "for his size" epithet that tells the tale).
    As for Harry, yes it is probably still to early to tell, but doesn't that make our slight lack of leg speed more problematical not less?
    Anyway
    Like you I would loathe to see us lose our grunt/toughness, it is Swans footy's core. But I suggest that we are better in that department than every other team in the league, whereas last year the Saints and Tigers mosquito fleets ran rings around us.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    i think our list seems reasonably healthy albeit lack a power forward, Reid will replace Goodes role of that mobile CHF...If Jude retires, parker steps in nicely, by all accounts Mitchell will be a gun and Lamb by the thread reports will do well...i think midfield wise we are pretty solid..Just ahve to make sure we get an extension to JPK's contract
    please early this year....
    After next year though we do need to ahve an elite game breaking midfielder, now whether we ahve coming through i dont know...and as long as we dont become to predictable going to forward to the same constant target we will be unpredictable...

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    After next year though we do need to ahve an elite game breaking midfielder, now whether we ahve coming through i dont know...and as long as we dont become to predictable going to forward to the same constant target we will be unpredictable...
    If we have one currently on our list, his name is Harry Cunningham. It is too early yet to tell how good he can become, but he has the raw attributes - speed, attacking nous and a lovely, long penetrating kick on him.

didnt Harry win the GF 100m race pre game ??
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

2nd in the final to the Crows Paddy Dangerfield (pretty impressive all the same)

The Players Association has declared it wants to keep the sub rule, I think this may well mean we will get another year or so from some of our veterans. Shaw and Goodes look particularly well suited to the role of Super-Sub.
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...006-276av.html

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678