Thread: GF stats: We won. Who really cares.

Blog Entries

GF stats: We won. Who really cares.

According to Lee Matthews it is some sort of statistical anomaly that we won. We robbed Hawthorn because they led on every stat that matters...except one of course.

Pity they don't have stats for hard work, perseverance, team ethos and sheer guts and determination.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    According to Lee Matthews it is some sort of statistical anomaly that we won. We robbed Hawthorn because they led on every stat that matters...except one of course.

Pity they don't have stats for hard work, perseverance, team ethos and sheer guts and determination.
    Brilliant post.

Regular in the Side
    David Parkin on the Grand Final eve League Teams show presented a very careful and thorough examination as to who was going to win the Grand Final. He relied on 10 factors, given each team a rating out of 2. Both teams got 18.5, hence he predicted a draw. The one factor that edged Hawthorn over the Swans was a hunger or desire to win. Focusing on the Hawks devastating Preliminary Final lost in 2011 to Collingwood, he gave them 2/2, whilst the Swans got 1.5/2.

Where he erred was the fact that none of the Hawthorn players had ever experienced a GRAND Final lost.

For Sydney we had 8 players whose last Grand Final had been a very painful defeat: the 7 Swans from 06 plus the former Pie Rhyce Shaw from 2003. Then you add Kennedy in 2008 and Mumford in 2009, who experienced that frustrating feeling of exclusion in being players in a Premiership winning club, but not being in the winning 22. Mumford was particular unhappy about his exclusion from Geelong's 2009 premiership side.

It is no coincidence that on Grand Final day 2012, all of the above played their parts above the call of duty, above their capacities in some cases in the context of the individual physical issues.

Goodes, Bolton, Richards and Mumford all played with injuries. I suspect Mummy's was far worse than reported. Goodes was extraordinary. Jude's recovery from the August Carlton game remarkable. Teddy just seemed to get better as the game went on, just like in the Prelim.

O'Keefe deservedly got the Norm. But LRT, Kennedy, McVeigh and Shaw all had great games.

And do I need to say anything more about Esky's two bookend goals.

Now, this is the real reason why Sydney won!

Opti-pessi-misti
    I was also thinking that this factor may have given the Swans that tiny edge in the last 12 mins or so. Those players from 2006 plus Shaw, Mummy and maybe Kennedy had been in this situation before and knew the pain of a loss or missing out and were desperate for it not to happen again. Their desperation rubbed off on the others. Along with the second quarter burst, those last 10 mins or so were epic footie. Fantastic!

After the 2005 win we almost backed up in 2006. 2013 could be another exciting year.

Senior Player
    I like Lethal . I really do . So the least I can do , is post a stat for him that I obtained on Saturday . Not a good photo , not at all , but still kind of beautiful :
    Attached Images Attached Images

On the Rookie List
    Funny thing stats are.
    This isn't a stat: To a man, the ENTIRE Swans unit is very skilled in offence and defence. They have superior fitness and run every inch of every ground (see Subiaco). Their direct opponents are often shown up to be inferior defensively so when say McVeigh pushes to full-forward suddenly, these part time taggers are exposed (Mal's last goal he was surrounded by other Swans backmen who pushed up exposing their opponent). On the flip side when they try to burst into attack, turns out their direct opponent is a gun defender too (e.g. Keiran Jack).
    Then you have their ability to read the play, leave their man & intercept.
    This team is gold and is going to be harder to beat in 2013.
    The Pain of Discipline is Nothing Like The Pain of Disappointment

GF stats: We won. Who really cares.

David Kings recipe for success on fox is to win the contested possessions, disposal efficiency, and tackles. This generally leads to a win something like 95% of the time. Hawthorn only won one of those stats. They were out pressured into making mistakes. They were below their best because we made them play that way