Page 2 of 463 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Tippett!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    No hope. We now have the last pick of the first round and this will get worse with the free agency compensations. (Which, incidentally, I personally think should come from the club gaining the free agent rather than being awarded by the AFL and penalising all the non participating clubs with later picks!) Besides the premiership team and McGlynn, Mitchell and Rohan we've got nothing of value except for untried youngsters. Why would Adelaide take a reserves player (White), or an ageing third string ruckman (Seaby) plus a pick somewhere in the mid twenties for one of their guns when clubs will be lining up to make much better offers?
    Simple, as always in trading, because they will get nothing. Port proved what a stupid choice that is! No club has Been dumb enough since.

Tippet will choose, that is the way it works these days.

Btw totally agree on free agency picks

For so many reasons I can't see a Tippett trade happening: His salary demands, location (not QLD) and what we have to give up.

But in this article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/team...-1226482139502

Beatson said "the Swans would look to exploit free agency and trade markets heavily this year."

Out of all the players on offer Tippett is the only one that I can see helping the club. We are just missing that one additional tall marking forward to compliment Reid. Of the Premiership players, Grundy is a realistic trade possibility as he comes from Adelaide and is roughly on a par as a defender as Tippett is as a forward. And Grundy is just 1 year older, so at roughly at the same stage in their careers.

So as much as I can't see this deal happening, I can't help but wonder who Beatson would be considering in exploiting the free agency and trade markets. Pearce was another possibility, although far from needed, but he seems to be going to Freo. Tippett is the only one that I can see.

The way the Swans target players that fit a need makes you think that if we were active in this trade period it would have to be for a quality tall forward. Tippett is the player we had hoped Jesse would be. So he seems the most logical target for us.

If we haven't made a play for Tippett I would have to wonder what Beatson was talking about. I guess the answer will be known in a day or so.

On the veteran's list
    If we trade Grundy we will then be looking for a tall defender. LRT is getting too long in the tooth to be regarded as a long term solution and Ted is no spring chicken either.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Seems we are in the hunt for him, but is a surprising target I reckon. Talk all season was that he wants to head home to QLD. Even for the few head knocks he's had, hard to fool him that Coogee is Broadbeach!

Seriously though, the concussions have to be a concern. In a worst case scenario - and god forbid it happens (regardless of who he plays for) he could be a head clash or two away from enforced retirement.

And his value was being seriously questioned until a great performance in their prelim. Hadn't given a yelp for ages before that.

If he cares about the important things (i.e. team first, team success) rather than just money, you'd think sticking where he is would be the best play for him.

Unrelated to this, the Bombers need their heads examined in the Goddard grab. I guess they want someone for Jobe to give the ball to, but seems like a very high price for a not quite top shelf player (he once was, but hasn't shown much for a while). Free Agency is already providing a bit of interest and it has only been going for a day!

If we trade Grundy we will then be looking for a tall defender. LRT is getting too long in the tooth to be regarded as a long term solution and Ted is no spring chicken either.
    Time to try Jesse in defence? Others have succeeded with mid career switches between forward and back . . . (and forward appears to not be working terribly well for him)!

I know Grundy has his detractors in our fan base, but he has been very solid the last few years for us down back, and has plenty of years on his side. I can't see us giving up one of the lynchpins of a very miserly defence this year. Can't see the deal happening, as we don't have anything to offer they would want / willing to give away, and lets be honest they are going to want more than a Seaby or a White and a first rounder for Tippett. Would be a great player to stick up forward, give us a great pair up forward with Reidy hopefully to kick on next season (which I have no doubt he will do - he did well in the Granny I though. Just wait for him to come back fully fit and flying next season).

Sydney is a lot closer to QLD than Adelaide, plus if we are all honest a good buffer zone from the family is quite tolerable.

LRT is actually younger than Ted. I think they can carry on another 3 years. In any case, we have Spangher as backup now, and we drafted 2 defenders last year in Lockyer and Brown and added Lynch to the rookie list, and reports are promising on all 3. So I think we have the backline well covered into the next generation.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 2nd October 2012 at 12:46 AM.

Fox Sports says offer not from Sydney....

Crows sweat on Tippett decision | AFL | Fox Sports

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Fox Sports says offer not from Sydney....

Crows sweat on Tippett decision | AFL | Fox Sports

Amazing that the Crows are offering him "the richest deal ever offered to an Adelaide player". Especially since he will probably still be second fiddle to Tex most weeks! Maybe staying could upset team harmony more than walking out!

Carlton most likely - with money to spend and spurned by Cloke, Mick would want something to play with down forward. Or if they don't get Tippet, Fev has been kicking goals as a pidgeon apparently!

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by SwansFan1972 View Post
    Carlton most likely - with money to spend and spurned by Cloke, Mick would want something to play with down forward.
    It wouldn't matter whether they'd freed up money for Cloke or not. The salary cap has always been totally irrelevant to Carlton's player payment structure. Maybe Tippett would be Visi's plain brown paper bag ambassador!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Guess only - Goodes to retire and Tippet to the Swans for a First round selection and another player or 2 (Meredith and Moore..)

Pleased that this is the off season so we can speculate all these things..

LOL

Rod_