Page 440 of 463 FirstFirst ... 340390430436437438439440441442443444450 ... LastLast
Results 5,269 to 5,280 of 5548

Thread: Tippett!!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Hey O'Reilly, can you break up your post/s into paragraphs, makes it easier to read, and I do want to read it! cheers
    will do!

The cynical part of me thinks perhaps Tippett was given some monetary help in retiring to stop him just eating up cap whilst on the injured list, which he surely would have. The deal would suit both parties. No wonder Harley didn't go into details !

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's almost certainly not in a position to give a clear answer, or even a slightly muddy answer. The salary cap rules - and especially which year's cap payments get recognised in - are complex and the club is almost certainly still working through its options. Some of those will depend on things that happen this year that impact the cap but as, as yet, unknown.

Furthermore, clubs try to keep information about their salary cap position as private as they can. If other clubs knew how your salary cap was structured (in terms of front and back payments), your negotiating position come trade time would be weaker.
    No doubt this is all true, but if the Swans get considerable salary cap relief Harley wouldn't want to disclose that as it would surely bring the wrath of the Melbourne journos that we orchestrated yet another 'fix', just like the Buddy deal and the original Tippett signing as well.

Reading between the lines, as well as seeing the wry smile on Longmire's face when talking about the retirement, I get the distinct feeling that the management are over the moon about what they just pulled off.

There's a lot of jealousy and enmity about just how good the our back office is.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    More the question is how long have we known the end was around the corner. The recent restructure of his deal raises a few questions in that respect.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    No doubt this is all true, but if the Swans get considerable salary cap relief Harley wouldn't want to disclose that as it would surely bring the wrath of the Melbourne journos that we orchestrated yet another 'fix', just like the Buddy deal and the original Tippett signing as well.

Reading between the lines, as well as seeing the wry smile on Longmire's face when talking about the retirement, I get the distinct feeling that the management are over the moon about what they just pulled off.

There's a lot of jealousy and enmity about just how good the our back office is.
    None of that makes any sense to me.

While clubs may jealously guard the details of their salary cap from other clubs, every single club will be all over the rules of the cap, and the ways it can be "managed". Whatever relief is available to Sydney for a player forced to retire through injury is available to every other club in the same situation. You make it sound like the Swans are doing something dodgy, which I can't see how is possible.

I also don't see anything in public statements to suggest this has somehow been orchestrated by the club. I think some are reading between the lines and projecting their own Tippetviews onto statements that have been made publicly.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This thread is going out with a bang.....it's been such an ongoing part of our lives so let's start a new RWO game, that being "Keep the 'Tippett!!' thread on page one!" Any excuse to write about the big fella will do.
    I think his sister, Gretel, is still playing netball. Maybe a few posts about her? I mean, the thread is titled, "Tippett".

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    None of that makes any sense to me.

While clubs may jealously guard the details of their salary cap from other clubs, every single club will be all over the rules of the cap, and the ways it can be "managed". Whatever relief is available to Sydney for a player forced to retire through injury is available to every other club in the same situation. You make it sound like the Swans are doing something dodgy, which I can't see how is possible.

I also don't see anything in public statements to suggest this has somehow been orchestrated by the club. I think some are reading between the lines and projecting their own Tippetviews onto statements that have been made publicly.
    Not dodgy, just astute. And I don't think that all clubs handle these things as well as the Swans do.

Maybe I am reading more into this thing than has been made public, but there is enough there to suggest that Swans wanted this outcome with Tippett and made it happen.

I also believe and still maintain that Tom Mitchell was forced out by low balling his contract offer and was another outcome that the Swans wanted to ensue . Note that we haven't drafted anyone like Tom in the past 2 drafts since his departure, but rather loaded up on speedy outside runners.

My feeling was that the club would have preferred a fit and firing tippo to be playing next few seasons not the retirement option

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    My feeling was that the club would have preferred a fit and firing tippo to be playing next few seasons not the retirement option
    + 1

I also believe and still maintain that Tom Mitchell was forced out by low balling his contract offer and was another outcome that the Swans wanted to ensue . Note that we haven't drafted anyone like Tom in the past 2 drafts since his departure, but rather loaded up on speedy outside runners.
    Ummm which other club has drafted a ball magnet that averages 30 disposals a game in the last 2 years?

I think in an ideal world we�d have preferred to keep Tom too.
    Last edited by goswannies; 23rd January 2018 at 08:41 PM.

Senior Player
    Not dodgy, just astute. And I don't think that all clubs handle these things as well as the Swans do.

Maybe I am reading more into this thing than has been made public, but there is enough there to suggest that Swans wanted this outcome with Tippett and made it happen.

We were never going to be able to match Hawthorn's offer to Mitchell. Entirely understandable for Tippett to sick and tired of another rehab after so many injuries. Not everything is fake news although there is a fair bit of it about!

The issue also with the ankle was two fold. Kurt said that firstly the recon was on his jumping leg so major problem as a ruckman and secondly his surgeon wanted to do a very slow rehab. At Xmas Kurt said he was way behind where he hoped to be

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I think his sister, Gretel, is still playing netball. Maybe a few posts about her? I mean, the thread is titled, "Tippett".
    She certainly does deja, in the new Super Netball League for the Queensland Firebirds. Very good player too.......doesn't get injured! May the Tippett thread roll on then....