Page 454 of 463 FirstFirst ... 354404444450451452453454455456457458 ... LastLast
Results 5,437 to 5,448 of 5548

Thread: Tippett!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    If the Swans are guilty of anything in the Tippett deal, it was being excited at the prospect of what a fully fit Tip could do alongside Buddy and co and in turn, having too much faith. The Geelong match from 2015 and his first half of 2016 had us all salivating at the prospect of what might be....you included.....go on, admit it. So it didn't turn out that way but if it did go the way we all wanted, he would have been worth EVERY penny......

Hindsight, crystal balls.....yada yada yada. Tippett, Mitchell, Hannebury.....yada, yada, yada. We move on.....hopefully.
    Yep,

It seems like if blame is going to be cast at the Swans, it should be in regard to the contract extension rather than the original signing.
    I mean if anyone is going to complain about either, they should qualify it by posting their objections posted here at the time, and then... fair enough.
    Otherwise, it's just hindsight and rhetoric.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yep,

It seems like if blame is going to be cast at the Swans, it should be in regard to the contract extension rather than the original signing.
    I mean if anyone is going to complain about either, they should qualify it by posting their objections posted here at the time, and then... fair enough.
    Otherwise, it's just hindsight and rhetoric.
    I think if you went back and looked at posts when the extension kicked in most assumed it was for a substantial pay reduction

There were plenty of WTF posts on here when it became apparent the extension was on similar $$’s to his initial contract

If the Swans are guilty of anything in the Tippett deal, it was being excited at the prospect of what a fully fit Tip could do alongside Buddy and co and in turn, having too much faith. The Geelong match from 2015 and his first half of 2016 had us all salivating at the prospect of what might be....you included.....go on, admit it. So it didn't turn out that way but if it did go the way we all wanted, he would have been worth EVERY penny......

Hindsight, crystal balls.....yada yada yada. Tippett, Mitchell, Hannebury.....yada, yada, yada. We move on.....hopefully.
    Thing is, though, we got Tipoff a full year before we got Buddy.... so there was really nothing to get too excited about at the beginning of the deal.
    Brave is the club that recruits a player renown for "concussions"... little did we know that it was the rest of his body that would give out.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Very simplistic approach to the world that you never review decisions in hindsight. How are you ever expected to learn anything without that feedback loop ?

When Tippett first came, tall forwards come ruckmen were seen as the most critical position in AFL, and we had nothing in that department except LRT. We paid big, but we paid market rates really. I'm comfortable with that.
    The contract renewal does seem high though. It seems a short-sighted overspend to try and eek out a flag with Buddy and Tippett. We didnt really have an alternative ruckman because Nainsmith and Nankervis were still too raw.

I think we went into a plan to build a team around Tippett, and then Buddy came along, and we could build a team around him, but in the end couldnt build a team around either.
    Unfortunetly history will judge us over this period as failing, whereas a few free kicks our way in 2016 we could have got away with a pass mark (1 flag)

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    whereas a few free kicks our way in 2016 we could have got away with a pass mark (1 flag)
    Are you kidding! A flag is a pass mark? Just remaining competitive is a pass mark. A flag is an A+
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List
    Very simplistic approach to the world that you never review decisions in hindsight. How are you ever expected to learn anything without that feedback loop ?
    Yes, we all must learn by mistakes in life.....I get it. I also get that while that may work in the business world, sport is different, with many more variables and unforeseen traps.....such as injury, loss of form and in our unique case, the removal of COLA and an AFL trading ban because the 'business' men who run the league favour one state over another and are corrupt......and no one, including you, saw that one coming because their was no precedent. Cola removal and the trading ban have probably done more to squeeze our cap than the deals themselves.....deals which, while sizeable, are common place in footy now.
    Last edited by liz; 13th November 2018 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Please cut out the personal insults / baiting

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Are you kidding! A flag is a pass mark? Just remaining competitive is a pass mark. A flag is an A+
    I think a flag is a pass mark, 2 flags in the buddy era would have been nice.

Remember we won a flag the year before Tippet and Buddy came along. We already were at the top of the tree in competitiveness.

I think a flag is a pass mark, 2 flags in the buddy era would have been nice.

Remember we won a flag the year before Tippet and Buddy came along. We already were at the top of the tree in competitiveness.
    Thank you.
    That explains a lot about your opinions and allows me to understand why you say what you say.

I side with The Big Cat
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Yes, we all must learn by mistakes in life.....I get it. I also get that while that may work in the business world, sport is different, with many more variables and unforeseen traps.....such as injury, loss of form and in our unique case, the removal of COLA and an AFL trading ban because the 'business' men who run the league favour one state over another and are corrupt......and no one, including you, saw that one coming because their was no precedent. Cola removal and the trading ban have probably done more to squeeze our cap than the deals themselves.....deals which, while sizeable, are common place in footy now.
    While I don’t really agree with Barry, the business men wanted Buddy to go to Sydney ... just not to the Swans

Similarly, they were happy for Tippett to go, but just further north of the NSW/Qld border

I love this thread: it contains more opinion, information, misinformation, disinformation, re-writing of history and outright bulldust than any other I've seen; pretty much the perfect forum!

One fact that seems to have been overlooked or ignored is that the Swans did not make a bad decision in extending Tippett's contract in 2016; they had no choice. The extension was performance-based and dependent upon the conditions in the original 4 year contract. The performance that triggered the extension was the 2015 season; Tippett was one of the best players in the AFL in 2015. Based on that form, the Swans were pleased that he wanted to extend. They subsequently renegotiated the contract to ameliorate the impact on the salary cap, but there was never any possibility of reducing the total dollars involved.

I was never a big Tippett fan, but I did recognise that he was delivering what he promised. He was recruited because the Swans recognised that we couldn't waste Goodes' talents by playing him as a permanent full-forward. Tippett promised a strong-marking 40 goal-a-season forward, and we were happy to pay big bucks for that. And, until the injuries wore him down, that's exactly what he delivered. The Swans' Tippett turned out to be very similar to the Crows' Tippett - surprise, surprise!

Tippett's biggest problem was that he always tried to do more than that, crashing packs, laying tackles, and making second and third efforts. And that's when he got injured, and sometimes stupidly played with injuries, which ultimately ruined his career.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Thank you.
    That explains a lot about your opinions and allows me to understand why you say what you say.
    Absolutely. I demand excellence from my sporting teams. I find no joy in supporting perenial cellar dwellers, and choose my teams based on a number of factors, one of which is that the club has deep down, insatiable craving for success. Where every decision is not just to survive, but to thrive.

For example, I dont believe Buddy was brought in to just balance the books.

Absolutely. I demand excellence from my sporting teams. I find no joy in supporting perenial cellar dwellers, and choose my teams based on a number of factors, one of which is that the club has deep down, insatiable craving for success. Where every decision is not just to survive, but to thrive.

For example, I dont believe Buddy was brought in to just balance the books.
    I recently read an article about Peter Stubbs and his reasons for supporting the Swans. He was quoted as saying that he continued to support them after they moved to Sydney because "if your brother moves interstate, you don't choose another brother". I loved that. It is the polar opposite of this attitude. We all want success; none of us enjoys losing. But the kind of love that Stubbs refers to here goes so much deeper than the "insatiable craving for success", and it's what a genuine club culture is built around. Without such a foundation, success is empty and meaningless. It is exactly what is lacking at GWS and Gold Coast, and will be for decades if not indefinitely.