Page 453 of 463 FirstFirst ... 353403443449450451452453454455456457 ... LastLast
Results 5,425 to 5,436 of 5548

Thread: Tippett!!

On the veteran's list
    I am confused. Tippett was not recruited as a free agent (and even if he was he was initially on a three or four year deal). He retires at the start of a new three year deal. Is the reason he is still on our books that he was a contracted player who was injured as part of his employment and theoretically did not retire through a wish for non-footy but a realization that he can't play. ie Is he being treated (by AFL rules) as though he is on a long term injury list and the only other way out for the club was for him to renegotiate a pay out (which would have decreased his salary over these years considerably, and which he was under no obligation to accept)

Presumably, Cyril must have been out of contract or, because he wanted out, the club and he just voided the rest of his contract.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Said it before and ill say it again
    Happy with the initial 4 yr deal to take a chance on Tippo but whatever possessed us to have a "trigger" in his contract to extend 4 more years is beyond me.
    The trigger must have been for putting his jumper on the right way each game and how the trigger was agreed on big dollars is disgraceful.
    Definitely need to sack someone over that
    On the hook for 8yrs of Tippett, Buddy must be thinking about his next deal

I’m fine with it given it’s a very small amount of players and clubs that this rule helps

Regular in the Side
    where can I get a contract like this. no work but pay what a beauty. agree someone needs to answer for it.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Said it before and ill say it again
    Happy with the initial 4 yr deal to take a chance on Tippo but whatever possessed us to have a "trigger" in his contract to extend 4 more years is beyond me.
    The trigger must have been for putting his jumper on the right way each game and how the trigger was agreed on big dollars is disgraceful.
    Definitely need to sack someone over that
    On the hook for 8yrs of Tippett, Buddy must be thinking about his next deal
    He didn't have a trigger for an additional four years. He had a trigger for an additional year. He then renegotiated that, accepting a lower per annum amount over a longer period. And then he got injured and realised he couldn't get back to his best (and/or didn't have the appetite to).

The football he played in the first half of 2016 was very very good. He was close to our best player over that period (and bear in mind that the Swans had five players in the AA team that year, so he was hardly a standout in a mediocre side). And then he hurt his ankle and it was clearly a pretty serious injury.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    where can I get a contract like this. no work but pay what a beauty. agree someone needs to answer for it.
    It's pretty common in the corporate world for senior executives to have fixed term contracts that guarantee them exorbitant payouts if they are sacked, even when they are sacked for non-performance. I'm not defending that as good behaviour, but it's not uncommon.

In the case of sportsmen, they have short careers that are subject to being cut even shorter in the event of serious injury (which is a little different to non-performance by a senior business executive as there's usually no element of blame). The best players are highly sought over and if one club doesn't offer them a contract that offers more security than where their next pay packet is coming from, another will.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The football he played in the first half of 2016 was very very good.
    An 11 Game period 3 yrs into a big money contract, you cant polish a turd of a deal mate

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    If he's on our rookie list, doesn't that mean we ARE free of his salary within the cap?
    I think this is the reason for rookie listing Tippett. He probably has a negotiated payout which includes payments for the 2019 season. By rookie listing him, these payments should be excluded from the salary cap. The details of the settlement are not likely to be released, so it's hard to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    An 11 Game period 3 yrs into a big money contract, you cant polish a turd of a deal mate
    Liz is right that he started 2016 on fire. If he would have stayed fit and continued in that form we would have been more than happy with his contract. Every club has injuries that can make a big contract look like a bad deal. We can't evaluate them retrospectively; we have to look at the situation at the time the contract is made.

Another example has been debated a lot in other threads, which questions the Hannebery contract after 2016. That looked like a good deal at the time, but not so great in retrospect. Perhaps St. Kilda could be rightly criticized for signing Hanners to such a big contract if he doesn't rebound from his injury plagued 2018. It looks like a lot of risk for that kind of money.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He didn't have a trigger for an additional four years. He had a trigger for an additional year. He then renegotiated that, accepting a lower per annum amount over a longer period. And then he got injured and realised he couldn't get back to his best (and/or didn't have the appetite to).
    The trigger was for an additional 2 years. I don't think anyone has an issue with the term of the contract, but the annual amount was clearly substantial, hence the need to pay it out over three years.

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think this is the reason for rookie listing Tippett. He probably has a negotiated payout which includes payments for the 2019 season. By rookie listing him, these payments should be excluded from the salary cap. The details of the settlement are not likely to be released, so it's hard to know for sure.
    I think you will find that whilst it reduces some of the salary cap impact that about $600,000 of the 2019 salary cap will be going to Kurt

At no stage in his time at the swans did he show any form that would justify $2m for the extra 3 years.

No other club would have traded for him at that price.

Veterans List
    If the Swans are guilty of anything in the Tippett deal, it was being excited at the prospect of what a fully fit Tip could do alongside Buddy and co and in turn, having too much faith. The Geelong match from 2015 and his first half of 2016 had us all salivating at the prospect of what might be....you included.....go on, admit it. So it didn't turn out that way but if it did go the way we all wanted, he would have been worth EVERY penny......

Hindsight, crystal balls.....yada yada yada. Tippett, Mitchell, Hannebury.....yada, yada, yada. We move on.....hopefully.