Page 399 of 463 FirstFirst ... 299349389395396397398399400401402403409449 ... LastLast
Results 4,777 to 4,788 of 5548

Thread: Tippett!!

We can sugar coat it all we like but Tippett's deal, and it's a six year deal now, has DUD written all over it.

Think about it. If we hadn't gone down his gamble, and I do think it was more of a gamble than Buddy as Buddy had at least evidence of sustained excellence, then we'd definitely still have Mummy on the list, quite likely have Mitchell and might still have Nankervis.

And the cherry on top is the fact he is top of the list of the players that went MIA in the two Grand Finals (p0lease no excuses for him there).

This year our hands are tied but we do have some cards for next season. Nobody was going to take his two year deal off our hands at the end of last season but I do think you might get a club prepared to offer him $500,000 a year for two years with a club option for a third. And he may take that.

We won't get much, if any, trade currency but we may well get $900,000 (or whatever he is on) off the wages bill. That lets us start to rebuild and go into the market for a Free Agent next year or bank some cap space for the year after

It's easy to criticize the Tippett deal in retrospect, but at the time he was very much in demand and touted as one of the best power forwards in the game and on the rise. And we didn't have a true power forward at the time. I suppose we were in competition with others for his services and had to outbid them to get his signature.

I can't see how he leaves until after 2018. It's a long time till then. If he comes good, we may well sign him up for another year. If not, we may well have to delist him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't see how he leaves until after 2018. It's a long time till then. If he comes good, we may well sign him up for another year. If not, we may well have to delist him.
    At the moment nobody would touch him, this season he has been plain average in my book and I just cannot see him getting any better.

Looks like Tarzan, Plays like Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's easy to criticize the Tippett deal in retrospect, but at the time he was very much in demand and touted as one of the best power forwards in the game and on the rise. And we didn't have a true power forward at the time. I suppose we were in competition with others for his services and had to outbid them to get his signature.
    Exactly right. Tippett's recruitment made very good sense at the time for the reasons you explain. Describing it now as a dud deal is using the easy option of hindsight.

NOBODY knew when Tippett was recruited that Franklin would come along 12 months later. If the timing of Tippett's and Buddy's availabilty had been reversed, I suspect Buddy and Mumford would be playing for the Swans and Tippett for the Gold Coast.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    NOBODY knew when Tippett was recruited that Franklin would come along 12 months later.
    Remember until the last moment, we thought he was headed to GWS. As someone said to me last Saturday night "imagine that team (the current Giants) with Buddy."

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I wallowed in nostalgia today, watching the match excerpts on You Tube from last year and previous. Tippett was a very good player then and I reckon once he is properly over his injuries will be again.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I wallowed in nostalgia today, watching the match excerpts on You Tube from last year and previous. Tippett was a very good player then and I reckon once he is properly over his injuries will be again.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Those couple of marks inside 50 in the first quarter on the weekend gave me hope Tippett had turned the corner. Unfortunately, not yet. Still not sure whether it's fitness or confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Those couple of marks inside 50 in the first quarter on the weekend gave me hope Tippett had turned the corner. Unfortunately, not yet. Still not sure whether it's fitness or confidence.
    both

On the Rookie List
    The delivery to Tippet has been terrible either at his ankles or bombed in from on high. Tippet at least leads like a forward even though nobody seems able to put it on his chest. No forward (except maybe Plugger) can flourish if supply is irregular and chaotic.

Tippy is a bit slow.
    Is he injured again?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Why oh why did we sell the furniture to go all in on a player who had one great final series (didn't win them a flag though) when we needed to keep a successful group together. The game was already moving away from the lumbering tall forward (he was gotten as a forward not a ruck). Does anyone really think we would be a worse side if we kept Mummy instead.

We simply out-smarted ourselves and lost. I know Mummy left because of Buddy's salary being added but if we weren't already carrying Tipper we would have been able to keep him.

I have nothing personal against Tipper he seems to try hard most games but his cost and failure to turn up in big games has cost us retention of a team that could have won more premiership. Just imagine a team where we Mummy but still added Buddy.

Adding Buddy was smart he proved himself on the biggest stage, Tipper hadn't. Played well in a Preliminary Final but didn't get his team over the line...sounds familiar.