Page 437 of 463 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447 ... LastLast
Results 5,233 to 5,244 of 5548

Thread: Tippett!!

Like him or not - it is what it is. Very sad for him. He tried but his body just wouldn�t allow him. Our disappointment wouldn�t be a patch on his. Let�s be mindful, especially those who want to stick the boot in, that he is human.
    Last edited by Wardy; 22nd January 2018 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    This is making the decision to recruit extra ruckmen over the last couple of seasons look a bit more sensible.
    LOL

It's really hard to find any info about what happens to the TPP when a player retires due to injury. Mummy and Ben Griffiths also retired recently due to injury with time left on their contracts. I haven't done any kind of extensive research, but I couldn't find any mention of the TPP in the related articles.

I think the Franklin situation was a special case in that it seemed at the time that it was an exception to the general rule regarding players retiring before the end of their contracts, although I can't find the 'general rule'.

My feeling is that there must be some mitigation of the salary cap, otherwise there doesn't seem much point in him retiring if his full salary would be included in the TPP. There must certainly be a settlement payout to cancel his current contract and that amount is likely to be included this year. If it frees up 600K in the cap for the 2019 and 2020 it seems a good solution to our overstocked ruckmen dilemma.

We are now down to 4 and with Naismith out of contract this year, we could be down to 3 next year, which seems the right number.

Warming the Bench
    Discussed on SEN earlier this evening, Neil Cordy was part of the discussion and I understood them to be saying that it would impact the cap until the end of 2020, when his contract expires.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardy View Post
    Like him or not - it is what it is. Very sad for him. He tried but his body just wouldn�t allow him. Our disappointment wouldn�t be a patch on his. Let�s be mindful, especially those who want to stick the boot in, that he is human.
    +1

His first (half) season with us and first half of 2016 showed what he could do, the gun he was, when fit. Sadly, that was not as often as anyone wanted but that�s how it goes sometimes- it�s nobody�s fault, tish happens. I�m not going to criticise the decision to recruit him because that was a decision made without the assistance of the cast iron retrospectoscope that many people now employ.

Good luck to the man, and I�m glad we were bold and well managed enough to get him. Long may that combination continue.

I found this twitter conversation from Jake Niall. It would seem that there will be salary cap relief, but the exact terms are not clear.

.@sydneyswans don't make too many mistakes & as Tippett's convenient retirement shows, they're good at extricating themselves from them.

9:45 PM - 21 Jan 2018

Veteran Site Admin
    My understanding is that, prima facie, if you contract a player (whether he's been on your list for ages and you're extending, whether you draft, trade or take as a free agent), that amount stays in the cap. I'm not entirely sure which year's cap it goes into if a player retires. There have been occasions where a player remained on the club's list for an extra season because otherwise they would have had to take the entire remaining amount in the year he retired, which would have caused cap issues (Michael Voss is an example, and I think our own Nic Fosdike knew he couldn't play on the following season despite only officially announcing his retirement at the start of the following pre-season).

There is some allowance, however, for injury relief for clubs. This doesn't just kick in when a player retires through injury. Any club that has suffered extensive injuries throughout a season gets some relief because otherwise the cap would be impossible to manage. Heavy injuries usually mean more games to young players on base + match payments, while experienced players injured will typically get their entire contracted salary (as it doesn't include match payments).

The Buddy situation is a little different. I don't believe there is any condition to include his total salary that applies differently to any other contracted player. The special condition, which I think was applied because the AFL was sceptical about the length of contract, stipulates that the club can't vary the pattern of payments to Franklin, at least for cap purposes. In other words, if they happen to find a bit of spare room in their cap one year, they can't bring any of Franklin's payments forward to reduce the risk of them paying him substantial amounts (or at least, including them in the cap) after he has retired.

Very sorry for Tippett. As Wardy expressed beautifully, nobody would be more disappointed than him and it is a sad day. He was definitely best 22 when he was at his best. At his best he was one of the better rucks in the competition particularly because he was strong in the KPF role too. What's more, I had the pleasure of meeting him and he was a lovely bloke. Most importantly, he's one of us and we look after our own. Happily, I'm sure, despite this sad turn of events, he'll be fine. He has a good lifestyle, has been well remunerated, has plenty of friends.

Will post separately about list management implications on other thread.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My understanding is that, prima facie, if you contract a player (whether he's been on your list for ages and you're extending, whether you draft, trade or take as a free agent), that amount stays in the cap. I'm not entirely sure which year's cap it goes into if a player retires. There have been occasions where a player remained on the club's list for an extra season because otherwise they would have had to take the entire remaining amount in the year he retired, which would have caused cap issues (Michael Voss is an example, and I think our own Nic Fosdike knew he couldn't play on the following season despite only officially announcing his retirement at the start of the following pre-season).

There is some allowance, however, for injury relief for clubs. This doesn't just kick in when a player retires through injury. Any club that has suffered extensive injuries throughout a season gets some relief because otherwise the cap would be impossible to manage. Heavy injuries usually mean more games to young players on base + match payments, while experienced players injured will typically get their entire contracted salary (as it doesn't include match payments).

The Buddy situation is a little different. I don't believe there is any condition to include his total salary that applies differently to any other contracted player. The special condition, which I think was applied because the AFL was sceptical about the length of contract, stipulates that the club can't vary the pattern of payments to Franklin, at least for cap purposes. In other words, if they happen to find a bit of spare room in their cap one year, they can't bring any of Franklin's payments forward to reduce the risk of them paying him substantial amounts (or at least, including them in the cap) after he has retired.
    All makes sense, but seems at adds with the statements that the AFL made at the time of the Buddy deal, which to me suggested that if you've offered a contract for that amount for those many years then every last $ would be counted for in the cap whether he played out that contract or not. Would be delighted to be proven wrong however.

Sad way for Tippo's career to end. While it clearly didn't work out as we planned with him at the Swans, nobody wants to see a player go out in the way he has, forced out by injury. If only his body wasn't so susceptible, he could of completely fulfilled his potential, I have little doubt about that.

Thanks for the efforts Tippo - even if it didn't result in the outcomes we hoped for! That is footy though.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Clearly stevoswan and mark26 have to take the blame for this. Tippet was going great until their posts yesterday and this morning and then bam! Gone before the end of the day. Hang your heads, you two!

Seriously though, it is a shame. I understand why he might have pulled the plug now - he was probably hoping the surgery would fix him right up, but it hasn't worked out that way. It seems ankle injuries can be tough on ruckmen. Seaby was playing out of his skin when he smashed his ankle and he hardly played another game.

It will definitely impact RWO and our ability to conduct endless "best ruck/tall forward combo" conversations during the season. I think things will work out ok though. We still have the "two genuine rucks vs one ruck + forward" argument to fall back on, and hopefully one of the kids will come through and we can debate dropping an existing (hopefully in-form) player to give him a run.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    He should donate his wages back to the club. What a waste of money he's been.
    It was the club that decides to pay him that amount. All Kurt did was say "ok".

Good luck to him. He's got the most out of his body and ability.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    All makes sense, but seems at adds with the statements that the AFL made at the time of the Buddy deal, which to me suggested that if you've offered a contract for that amount for those many years then every last $ would be counted for in the cap whether he played out that contract or not. Would be delighted to be proven wrong however.
    I don't think what I've suggested is at odds with your understanding. Aren't we saying the same thing in terms of total payments being included in the cap?