Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why This Grand Final Win Feels Different

Agree with most. 2005 I was just about physically ill I reckon and it was just such a relief when the siren went (not that I heard it). 2012 I had the same sick feeling but actually got to enjoy the last 34 seconds! Just complete joy and probably because it looked like it was slipping away at one stage.

We won the flag. Gee that sounds good.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

For me, I thought:
    2005 - I can't believe we finally pulled it off - elation, surreal and, everything after Nick Davis' effort was a bonus. Didn't quite understand the Bloods spirit.
    2012 - How good was that win - and, we were one of the best teams all year and held tough when the chips were down. I totally get the Bloods spirit and admire it big time.

In 2005 there was no relief of the nervous tension until the siren went and then it was tears of relief and joy.

In 2012, with the game being settled a full 30 seconds before the end I was able to relax and enjoy the last 30 seconds whilst watching it amongst hundreds of other Swans supporters at darling Harbour. When Malceski kicked the winning goal I jumped up and hugged the guy next to me, and looked at my wife saying "We've won it, we've won it". Then it was just ammater of waiting for the siren to go......then it was just enjoyment.

Being serenaded with Cheer, cheer from the 7th floor overlooking Darling Harbour as we walked past was something I didn't expect in Sydney either. Walking around the CBD of Sydney that night, people knew we had won and many were genuinely excited about the win.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Senior Player
    Well , for starters , I heard the siren this time !

The victories en route to the GF this year , were a bit more convincing , both in terms of the scores and the strength of the opponents.
    And we did not lose a game.
    We beat teams in 1st,2nd and 4th place on the ladder.

In 2005 , we beat 2nd , 4th and 6th.
    Our H&A percentage was not as good as this year.

Furthermore , I felt , long before we had secured our spot in the eight , that the premiers for 2012 would be truly deserving , because it had been arguably the most competitive season ever - a vintage season , in fact.
    There were plenty of outstanding games , apart from our performances.

To win the P in 2005 was a magnificent feat . Same as this year , I was privileged to be at the MCG that day and overjoyed at our victory.

The win it in 2012 was magnificent , too , of course.

Ultimately , though , I felt 2012 was somewhat better , because there can be no doubt among fair-minded neutrals that we were convincing , worthy champions.
    It was, for me, that little bit more "legitimate".

Maybe , though , Melbourne media will not agree until we win the McClelland , then three finals by 60+ .

It'd be nice to get Brisbane/Geelong-like respect . But I don't really care - the big , shiny , silver Cup with our name on it in 2012 , will do for me.

You know , several clubs could not have such a debate . How blessed , how fortunate we are to support the Swans !

Quote Originally Posted by Swansinger View Post
    Ultimately , though , I felt 2012 was somewhat better , because there can be no doubt among fair-minded neutrals that we were convincing , worthy champions.
    It was, for me, that little bit more "legitimate".
    This, for me.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    2005 - Raw, unbridled emotion!

2012 - Complete elation and satisfaction!

Both of them - absolutely priceless!!

Regular in the Side
    2005 was amazing. Total elation. Didn't know what to do or how to react.

2012 I'm more practiced . I also knew from round one what we were capable of and have been telling people all year that we were going to win the premiership, so I was ready. Still bloody brilliant, but with the shock and uncharterted territory in 2005, there was just a little something missing this year.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Had an Adelaide client with me yesterday who is a mad as hell Crows supporter .he was at the recent Swans V Crows game and fully believed from then on that Sydney would go all the way.
    He couldn't believe Hawks went in as favourites.

2005 - wow we just won the grand final. What do we do now?? Some tears of joy, just a feeling of "Unbelieveable." Very surreal. I thought it would never happen.

2012 - jumping up and down, screaming with pure excitement and elation. All year Eagles supporters were telling me how they were going to be in the grand final, (some even bought GF travel packages in May!), putting on facebook these posters with West Coast Eagles Premiers 2012. I just stayed quiet all year, not saying anything until last Saturday. Then my page was a sea of red and white. Lots of photos, memes and posters!!
    I might have a slight drinking problem. My husband asked me to toast some bread for him...so I raised my wine glass and said "Here's to bread!"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel View Post
    2005 was amazing. Total elation. Didn't know what to do or how to react.

2012 I'm more practiced . I also knew from round one what we were capable of and have been telling people all year that we were going to win the premiership, so I was ready. Still bloody brilliant, but with the shock and uncharterted territory in 2005, there was just a little something missing this year.
    I agree. This year has been fantastic but I have not experienced the undescribeable feelings of joy and elation that I did in 2005. There was just something ultra wonderful about that triumph, probably a combination of the roller coaster ride that we experienced during the finals campaign, plus the momentous breaking of the 72 year drought.

One thing that has been quite lovely this week is the number of people who have congratulated me this week. (Though I find the congratulations bit a tad strange. I know it is just a turn of phrase but I feel obliged to point out that I just sat in the stand and watched, but that I am thinking of changing my name by deed poll to Nick Malceski). Yesterday I received an email from a business associate I was working with back in 2005 who I have only kept in infrequent contact with and is a big Crows fan himself. I had another email from our audit director (himself a Blues fan) and I bumped into our ANZ banking relationship manager (a Kiwi who doesn't care for many teams apart from the All Blacks) who was effusive in his delight at the result. I had a lovely voicemail message for me left by one of our Melbourne people, who is a Pies man (he used to play for them, albeit he never played a senior game) - he and I have been baiting each other for the last two years every time we lost yet another game to the Pies but he was wonderfully gracious two weeks ago. And I have received more muted, but still gracious, congratulations from the two avid Hawks fans in the company.
    Last edited by liz; 4th October 2012 at 11:24 PM.

05 - didn't hear the siren. Watched the replay and couldn't hear the siren. Wondered what was tiger doing... got the idea eventually.. guess I was a rabbit in the headlights.
    12 - Heard the siren and cheer cheered away... practice does make perfect!

Rod_

PS
    06 gutted after another tight game! Then played the game of what if!

2005 was just such relief - finally the generations would stop passing by without seeing the Swans as premiers! And now we have two flags within a decade of each other.

We are very spoilt - for the record, this is the quickest 'backing up' of a flag with another one in our history. How good is that!?!?! And hopefully the next one will be closer still!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast