Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why This Grand Final Win Feels Different

2005 was just utter belief, speechless and in tears, the press (in Melbourne) where somewhat behind us in the finals and the small lead up too so it was great

2012 was unbridled and loud shouting on the siren, I kept quiet all year as Hawthorn and West Coast supporters claimed the premiership as theirs as well as the Melbourne media pretty much all the way to the final siren. I think I listed every person and every media outlet who wrote us off and shouted that they can shove that up there..... well, you know! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hot potato View Post
    Had an Adelaide client with me yesterday who is a mad as hell Crows supporter .he was at the recent Swans V Crows game and fully believed from then on that Sydney would go all the way.
    He couldn't believe Hawks went in as favourites.
    This week I have re-watched all the footy shows from last week (kind of reliving the whole wonderful thing) and it's funny to see who tipped us and who didn't. Players mostly tipped us (except for our 05 premiership captain), media the Hawks.
    One thing I did notice though, was that every Crows player and every Pie that was on any show tipped us!

2005 - the first one after such a long drought was always going to be just relief, pure and utter relief. Also for a large hunk of the 70 years forget about not winning a final in that time, we weren't even in the finals. We were the worst team in the comp. Were transplanted to another city. The Edelstein era was fun while it lasted but in the long run may have caused more harm than good. 1992/93 the team was basically dead. Carlton were going to move up and thanks to Collingwood this didn't happen. We went 26 games without winning a game. Ron Barassi came on board. Started from square one. We got Plugga. Won that last game of 95 against Collingwood and I knew something special was brewing. Kelly won the Brownlow. Rocket came on board. Lost first two games of 96, beat Pies and then that win against Richmond in Round 4 was the modern rebirth of the Sydney Swans
    1996 we didn't have the respect of the league or Sydney but it gave a base to build on and we did.

So 2005 encapsulated all of that.

Interesting to think what 2006 would have felt like given all this. To me, it would have felt like one long blur of domination to which we would have had 2 cups. It would have felt weird that after 70+ years we won 2 in a row.

2012: Doing something once is good, being able to duplicate it is the key. The irony of 2012 is how closely it resembles what Hawthorn did in 2008. That second one after 2005 was always going to be critical. How long would it take? That it only took 7 years is incredible. We are now firmly established in Sydney and the pieces are in place for us to be one of the most competitive teams in the league.

I think their was so many better stories to come out of us winning it then if hawthorn won it. Pykey, Morton, Macca, Goodesy and Jude coming to the end it was just so fitting. Me and my old man have watched the replay about 25 times no joke hahah just so wonderful and im so proud of the boys!
    Last edited by liz; 5th October 2012 at 01:42 AM. Reason: swear filter avoidance
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Senior Player
    We really are the Good Guys of the AFL. Story producing machines.

The thing about this one is we were always a chance, where with 2005 I didn't feel it was the case.

For some reason 2006 seemed a two horse race.

We beat Adelaide, Collingwood and Hawthorn on the way the the finish...teams 1, 2 and 4, with the Swans finishing 3rd. Well earned in the end.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

The 2012 premiership is likely to feel different than the 2005 to many people for a myriad of reasons.

What stands out for me is that 2012 gave the club a greater sense of legitimacy as a powerhouse of the AFL. 2005 was great, but it was breaking a 72 year drought. The story that was being told in 2005 was the same story that was being told about the Swans in 1996 (essentially our entire club history, with particular emphasis on the move to Sydney and the troubles it created). The victory in 2005, to a large degree, enabled a new story to be told in 2012. This story was all about the great culture of a great club.

The other reason that this year felt different was that the GF was played against Hawthorn who have been a legitimate powerhouse of the AFL / VFL over the last 40 years, and during the 80s had made sport out of destroying the Swans just about every time we met (even when we were good). The rivalry with West Coast during 05 & 06 was great, but it did not have a long history. Not that we had a great VFL rivalry with Hawthorn either, but the victory this year represented a win over the established clubs (even though the Hawks were not a foundation club themselves) in a way that a win over the Eagles did not provide. We stopped a successful club from the VFL becoming even more successful in the AFL - that feels good.

Beating Collingwood along the way also helped make 2012 special.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    The 2012 premiership is likely to feel different than the 2005 to many people for a myriad of reasons.

What stands out for me is that 2012 gave the club a greater sense of legitimacy as a powerhouse of the AFL. 2005 was great, but it was breaking a 72 year drought. The story that was being told in 2005 was the same story that was being told about the Swans in 1996 (essentially our entire club history, with particular emphasis on the move to Sydney and the troubles it created). The victory in 2005, to a large degree, enabled a new story to be told in 2012. This story was all about the great culture of a great club.

The other reason that this year felt different was that the GF was played against Hawthorn who have been a legitimate powerhouse of the AFL / VFL over the last 40 years, and during the 80s had made sport out of destroying the Swans just about every time we met (even when we were good). The rivalry with West Coast during 05 & 06 was great, but it did not have a long history. Not that we had a great VFL rivalry with Hawthorn either, but the victory this year represented a win over the established clubs (even though the Hawks were not a foundation club themselves) in a way that a win over the Eagles did not provide. We stopped a successful club from the VFL becoming even more successful in the AFL - that feels good.

Pretty good summary I think.

Nice to not only beat Collingwood, but Adelaide in Adelaide and at the MCG. This win has its own stories as you say.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post

Also add to this that the Hawks had won the last 4 Grand Finals they'd played in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    This week I have re-watched all the footy shows from last week (kind of reliving the whole wonderful thing) and it's funny to see who tipped us and who didn't. Players mostly tipped us (except for our 05 premiership captain), media the Hawks.
    ...and what's more, Micky O tipped ROK for the Norm Smith on Marngrook. (I only watched this after the GF, so it was particularly satisfying). I found it a very difficult game to tip - it really seemed like anyone's game beforehand and looking back on it you can say that Hawthorn could easily have won. If they had converted the easy goals they should have, then we would all be sitting here saying "next year".

I wasn't as nervous as 05/06 though, even when we were 12 points down in the last. I think that's down to a few things....

1. It was a higher scoring game, which means more chances to come back. In '05 it felt like each goal might be the last in the game for either side.
    2. Swans were kicking with a howling gale in the last quarter, which I knew had to help them out.
    3. I'm 7 years older (and perhaps wiser).

Despite this, the victory didn't seem quite as real. It took about 2 days for it to really sink in and me to get over the idea that winning a premiership isn't *necessarily* a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

In 2005 we were the downtrodden club finally getting their chance at glory.
    The 2012 flag is the statement that shows we are now one of the big boys.
    We are capable of winning these things, and hopefully never again have to sit through 72 years in the wilderness.

2005 felt like luck went our way.
    2012 feels like we controlled our own destiny.

On the Rookie List
    being new to AFL in 2005, I enjoyed the win, but having not yet embraced the club at the time, I feel this year's GF win has been better. I appreciate it a lot more this time around, and enjoyed it a lot more. Also, beating hoodoos to get the win really makes it feel better too!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123