Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why This Grand Final Win Feels Different

Why This Grand Final Win Feels Different

I think I have got it worked out. Came to me in a flash.

In 2005 when the final siren went, I didn't know what to do. We just stood in front of the TV yelling. And then looked at each other and wondered what to do next.

You see, we now have practice. We know what it felt like to win a Grand Final, so this time it wasn't so much a shock of the new, as a wild and warm fuzzy. I am still purring with satisfaction and contentment of knowing we got our just deserts.

Thoughts? Can you be bothered?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Blog Entries
    Not sure I agree with the theme, but I do agree with the sentiment.
    It was definitely different.

I was no where near as nervous before the game. I did get a little edgy during that last quarter, but the elation wasn't as high as in 2005.
    I did thoroughly enjoy the victory. But 2005 was much more emotion charged.
    There was the first GF in 10 years. The 72 year monkey. The how the hell did we win that. I still don't believe it.

2005 we were still a very raw form of the 2012 team.
    2012 we are a very capable, and have proved that on our day, we are as good, rather much better, than the other teams.

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar
    One was more relief. The other pure joy and excitement

I wonder what next years premiership will feel like. It could be all a bit ho hum......

I felt this one was better only because I was at this one I didn't get nervous until 3 quarter time while in 05 I was at home watching it by myself so as excited as I was I enjoyed it alone

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    My feeling after this year's grand final was still how the hell did we win that!!

I knew we were good enough this year, and we were probably better placed to win it than the 2005 team, but the game itself was just as much on the knife edge as 2005, partly because we didn't know what Buddy was going to pull out on the day.

I actually heard the siren, this time, and because Mal kicked the sealer to put us 10 points up (a blow-out for this team!!) we were thankfully spared the nail-biting final stages of 2005.

In 2005 I was on my own and the feeling was relief. This time I was able to share the moment with my nephew and one of my best mates in Wardy and the feeling was complete and utter joy. I also got to go onto the MCG and celebrate the win.

Don't get me wrong both were are absolutely brilliant but this one was special.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    and because Mal kicked the sealer to put us 10 points up (a blow-out for this team!!) we were thankfully spared the nail-biting final stages of 2005.
    Yes, watching on TV this time, I got to relax and just enjoy the final..... 13 seconds of the match! (That is when I knew for sure we had it.)

I have always followed a lot of sport, but I have never supported a team like I support the Swans. And I did not start supporting the swans until 2008 so I cannot compare this win to 2005. But I can tell you that I am still wondering what I should be doing.

But it sure makes me smile when I think about the win and my favourite moments. Currently the one I think about most is when Jetta faked a handball outside the 50, and then made a laser pass to McVeigh, who marked and goaled. I lost my @@@@ when I saw that. But I digress...

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    The Granny provided enormous excitement in The Hot (potato) House, but the whole month of effort by the boys was simply delicious .... Thank you everyone involved.

I had a feeling we would pull up short in 96

2005 I felt a lot better and was happy to go along to the game with a feeling that we would pull through.
    When the siren went, I was all over the place. I was in amongst AFL members, who were all rallying behind me all game as they all had their own clubs.
    I didn't hear the siren, and Leo's mark was up the otehr end of the ground and for some reason I wasn't watching teh screen.
    So in amongst my confusion as to what had happened (mark, free kick to the Eagles etc) everyone jumped up, and I looked around very confused.
    Then they all tol me that the siren had gone and we had won.
    I went from near heart attack to a feeling of disbelief, closely folloed by (near heart attack) elation

In 2006 I had a feeling we weren't going to come through, so my whole day was quite half hearted, and I watched on TV.

This year I believed that we would win from the start of the season.
    Expectation was offset by a close game, but in the end I got what I expected.

So a colpletely different vibe for me.

All this is coupled with not being totally heartbroken if we lost, as I was there for the 2005 and that was enough for me for life.

Interestingly, a (hawks supporter) friend of mine said he wasn't going to the GF because he'd "been to 4 GF wins already"
    They had a damn good ride, so anything they win now is 'just another' to some people I guess.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

On the Rookie List

2005 utter relief. 2012 utter and complete unbridled joy.
    Regards,

Boro Boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast