Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AFL Announces New Ruck Rules

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    All true. One wonders whether the "Laws of the Game" Committee's existence isn't the primary necessity for fiddling with the "Laws of the Game." It wouldn't be the first committee to justify it's existence in such a way.
    And frankly having Bartlett making pronouncements on contested football is a little like asking a fish about it's opinion of bicycles.
    I also have my doubts about the function of the Rules Committee and I have griped about their continual meddling and tinkering, e.g. the substitute rule and especially talk about extending it. But this time I found myself thinking "That's not a bad idea" in reference to the ruckmen grappling and attempts to prevent the stacks-on-the-mill that follows almost every tackle. They're obviously trying to reduce the number and length of stoppages, and I'm in favour of that, but I'd like to see it done gradually and with a good solid tryout in the NAB Cup for a year or two before any changes in the main season.
    One change I'd like them to consider is the rules about when the clock is stopped. I don't think we need quarters that run for over 30 minutes and I wonder why there seem to be so many occasions when the clock is stopped and restarted. Others will know, but do the same rules apply in the NAB, or is the clock stopped less often?
    But I do believe that generally speaking it's better to let the game evolve and allow players and coaches to change their approach of their own accord. Talk of restricting players' locations on the ground, perhaps by making them wear netball-type bibs, makes me see red.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    I think from memory, there is 17 minute quarters in the NAB apart from the Grand Final which is 20 minutes.

Bibs ??????? They going back to Auskick rules now. That's forward thinking.

It would have to bring back the Tony Lockett "dinosaur" full forward back in style.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    One change I'd like them to consider is the rules about when the clock is stopped. I don't think we need quarters that run for over 30 minutes and I wonder why there seem to be so many occasions when the clock is stopped and restarted.
    I suppose if the other AFL rule changes work they won't have to worry about the clock, or length of games (less stoppages will mean less ball-ups, which will result in the clock being stopped less).

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I also have my doubts about the function of the Rules Committee and I have griped about their continual meddling and tinkering, e.g. the substitute rule and especially talk about extending it. . . . .
    While Tim Lane isn't my favourite AFL journo, I thought this article made some very worth while and thought provoking point.

He notes that the umpires are playing fewer free kicks and doing more ball-ups in grand finals. That the philosophy of "letting the game flow" and the positive desire to avoid mistakes (and escape opprobrium) means the umpires are less likely to make decisions, opting instead for a ball-up. And that it is the increase in the number of these stoppages that is clogging up the game. He suggests that all the rule/interpretation changes in the world won't fix things when it's not the rules but the umpires that are the problem.

Lane blames putting a former player in charge of umpires as the cause of the problem . . . . I on the other hand blame the umpires abandonment of the traditional color of neutrality, that is to say white, in their clothing. How can you make a couragious decision when your dressed up like a failed Wiggle?

AFL follows bouncing ball
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123