Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFL Announces New Ruck Rules

AFL Announces New Ruck Rules

Players are no longer allowed to engage in contact prior to the ball being thrown up. Not sure that this will help teams that like to play two ruckman (unless they are particularly tall or can leap high), mobile players (e.g. ruck-rovers) might end up doing the ruck work.

AFL tackles stoppages with changes to ruck rules

I liked the test of strength that the ruck rule provided - this rule sucks.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I don't think we have much to worry about. Our two at present are tall, can leap high enough (when they have two good legs each) and are pretty mobile. Bring it on.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I suspect there aren't many ruckmen on that committee.

If ruckmen aren't allowed to even maintain touch, I reckon it will make ball ups and throw in's much more like centre square bounces, and without the protective restrictions in that area (centre circle and line).

So I expect lots more injured ruckmen.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It sounds dumb at first, but when you read it they're basically saying you can't start the ruck wrestle until after the ball is thrown up, so big guys will still be able to bash into opponents. It's not too bad.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

On the Rookie List
    I thought the trial in the NAB cup went well this year
    I liked that it made the rucking more skilful and not just a show of strength

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Will this eliminate the tactics that we used to great effect against West Coast in taking and blocking Nic Nat's run and jump?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Keep the bounce

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Keep the bounce
    Bring back the white coats for goal umpires.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    The rumour currently out there is that Coles are going to give Status Quo a month off. They can then record a new song for the AFL in 2013 to introduce this new rule.

Its called............................................ ............................Ruckin all over the Ground.

For you youngsters who wonder who the old blokes are in the Coles commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHM9H...feature=relmfu
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Will this eliminate the tactics that we used to great effect against West Coast in taking and blocking Nic Nat's run and jump?
    I thought the same thing Lucky. We were the first team to beat WestCoast in Perth this year and it was on the back of using muscle against Nic Nat & Cox. When I read about the new rule, my first thought was, here we go again another rule change to counter the Swans clever play.

I just wish they would stop making changes, leave the game alone.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I thought the same thing Lucky. We were the first team to beat WestCoast in Perth this year and it was on the back of using muscle against Nic Nat & Cox. When I read about the new rule, my first thought was, here we go again another rule change to counter the Swans clever play.

I just wish they would stop making changes, leave the game alone.
    All the recent changes they've made to the game (well, at least since 2005/06) have been made in an attempt to throw our game plan.
    Lucky our coaches are smarter than the AFL.
    They'll just think of something else.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

So we are back to the future again. If my memory is correct, when Adam Goodes was rucking, the rules were similar to this and why he was so dominate at the time. His run up and leap was clearly very good and an advantage at the time.... (and why he did his knees in... colliding knee to knee on the leap when rucking..)

I know that the circle was introduced to restrict the run up, and then it has been a free for all around the ground.. Holding and wrestling for position was the norm. Now what is not to like when two big ruckmen going for it gladiator style... Face to face barrel chested to the tall and the big clash... With no holding on. It is going to be very interesting the interpretation of this rule by the umpires.. (BTW I can see why we have chased another ruckman... all the teams are going to need plenty of them..!~)

this should be good for the tall ruckman - Aaron Sandilants is now worth double now.. Or nothing with a third man up..

(This will be the play of the year! - third man up and that is why we need so many talls)

Rod_

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast