Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans' Draft Selections / potential FA pick-ups

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Some people have suggested we need some succession planning with key defensive posts. Ted and LRT will be 30 and Reg 27.

Good sense, but I would suggest there is an area where there is similar and greater urgency.

Three years ago we identified we had a problem with speed. We only had Goodes and Shaw with genuine pace. We added Jetta and Rohan. Giving us a speed makeover. After we lost Gary, we were outrun by Richmond and StKilda but still won the flag To my mind this suggests we need 4 not 3 players with genuine speed.

I am mindful that two of these four very fast senior players will turn 32 and 33 next year. I think we will need to find at least two replacements fairly quickly, hence my suggestion we might consider a player that has already been at a club.
    Kyle Reimers has just been delisted by the Dons.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    Saw him do some damage to us last year at Etihad (in that game where Goodes missed the shot after the game).
    He's a bit younger than Morton, but older than Meredith.
    Seems he was another victim of "The Hammer's" soft tissue epidemic.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    You mean we've learnt our lesson with Pyke, or we've learnt our lesson with Doyle?

I agree with the Naismith comment, by all accounts will be worthwhile...and Starling as noted. Still ruck projects though. With Seaby gone and White looking around someone has to ruck in the ressies! Who else is there? Everitt?!?

Can someone with the power fix the thread title??? Thanks.
    I'm a bit confused. Starling is 196cm and most ruckmen in out game start at 198cm now. A few years ago he would have been a shoo in for the ruck. I see a guy 196cm & 93 kg as a good KPP prospect. But if he has a leap like everyone is saying maybe he could play ruck but would be expending a lot more energy than other players in the ruck. Ask Goodsie what it is like to jump against blokes who you give 4 to 6cm height to all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Sherman Ex Bulldog & Lion needs a new home and Petterd from the Demons looks a good sort. Ben McKinley ex Roos and West Coast can kick a few too. Garlett might be worth a look.
    Forget Sherman he is up himself and not as good as he thinks. Ricky is lazy and easily pushed off the ball. We are not after smalls either and he wants to go home to WA.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Agree this is possible. However, I will be dismayed if we pick up either Ben McKinley or Justin Sherman, though. Gartlett apparently wants more senior opportunities but he'd be further back in the queue at the Swans that he was at North. Petterd looks talented, though one has to wonder what's going on with a 24 year old who can't get a game with the Demons.
    Garlett wants to play in WA. Is not interested in going interstate. No use in talking to him and we have enough smalls anyway so not a priority. Petterd is a bit lazy and just like Mitch used to be but not as much smarts on the ground. He is a very good high mark, very flashy but doesn't chase, pick up his player and is a bit greedy. If Mark Neeld doesn't want him then nor do we!

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    He is really inconsistent and looks great in one match a dud in another. Injury prone too.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    We are not after smalls . . .
    Oh, why? What will we be after?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Goes up to 11
    So if we don't land a certain KT, who would be in our sights in the draft as a key forward and/or ruck? I noticed Khan Haretaku (spelling?) has been talked up a bit of late - he's a NSW boy too. Anyone got any more info on how he's gone this year and his chances of being drafted? I hear he had a good year in the VFL and has worked hard and has matured since his last time on a list.

Anyone else? Do we go for the best available big guy with our first pick?

I also reckon Naismith will get rookied so our ruck experts can work with him for a year and see how he develops.

Senior Player
    I disagree.
    We picked up Spanky with #73 in 2010 after he was delisted by WetToast, and Luke Brennan before that. So we have form for recycling, and with 9 list spots available (and some very mediocre draft picks) we may well see some recycling by the Swans this year.
    Have to agree with Ludwig, there is no chance that we'll take on any recycled players this year.

I would have thought that the point of clearing out Spangher, TDL and co was to make salary cap room for our new Full Forward, recruiting more mature agers to replace them would defeat the purpose.

In any event the bulk of those suggested so far are list cloggers and wouldn't add anything to our current list aside from helping out in Canberra. I couldn't make a case for any of those listed getting a spot ahead of the current premiership 22 or those that missed out (McGlynn, Rohan, Everitt, White, Armstrong).

So basically they would not be in our top 27 players and that's not taking into account our recent draftees who may take the next step (Mitchell, Lamb, Cunningham).

Generally when we have recycled we have done so to address a specific weakness, e.g. Morton to add class to the forward line, currently our list is very even and versatile giving us coverage in every area of the ground.

I've been wrong before but I suspect we'll be loading up on the next generation of youngsters in the upcoming drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Have to agree with Ludwig, there is no chance that we'll take on any recycled players this year.

I would have thought that the point of clearing out Spangher, TDL and co was to make salary cap room for our new Full Forward, recruiting more mature agers to replace them would defeat the purpose.

In any event the bulk of those suggested so far are list cloggers and wouldn't add anything to our current list aside from helping out in Canberra. I couldn't make a case for any of those listed getting a spot ahead of the current premiership 22 or those that missed out (McGlynn, Rohan, Everitt, White, Armstrong).

So basically they would not be in our top 27 players and that's not taking into account our recent draftees who may take the next step (Mitchell, Lamb, Cunningham).

Generally when we have recycled we have done so to address a specific weakness, e.g. Morton to add class to the forward line, currently our list is very even and versatile giving us coverage in every area of the ground.

I've been wrong before but I suspect we'll be loading up on the next generation of youngsters in the upcoming drafts.
    I agree caj23. I'd expect we'll be looking for KPP and potential half back flanker types, considering that we have Mal, Mattner, Shaw not getting any younger and only really Armstrong that at this stage is a certainty to come into the top 22 if he progresses as we hope.

i wouldnt underestimate how quickly Starling could adapt to a second ruck role where the rules are no wrestling for the ruck players........he could be playing seniors within 18months to two years !

the guy could kill it as he looked already comfortable enough with the Roos footage just kicking the ball

Didnt Mike play after two pre seasons only ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veterans List
    Saw him do some damage to us last year at Etihad (in that game where Goodes missed the shot after the game).
    He's a bit younger than Morton, but older than Meredith.
    Seems he was another victim of "The Hammer's" soft tissue epidemic.
    Only problem with Kyle Reimers is he is no good.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast