Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jesse White's future

Other than Dempster I'd have to agree with you Primmy. Schneids stayed consistent but was no better than he was with us.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Stella, I am not so sure about your assessment of Laidler (Incy being in side before him). I keep an eye out and he does 1%ers, nothing too flash, but reliable. Like that last bit of ice at the bottom of a drink, you don't really notice it until you have crunched your way through all the layers above it, but it serves a purpose of keeping your drink cold.
    Its only early days with Laidler, but I really like his work and I think he is doing exceptionally well.

I really did think he would struggle to get a game, and maybe that would have been the case if not for the awful luck of AJ (Can't wait till the day we see him back in the 1sts again and the roar he will receive from the crowd!). In some ways, and I know he plays a different role, his defending style reminds me of Marty Mattner. Ultra reliable, does nothing flash, but gets in there, and willing to go for the 1%ers.

Even if he is half as good for our club as Marty, then I think we will have got handsome dividends out of what was a very cheap pick up for us. I'd like to think he can provide such a moment one day in a Grand Final as Mr Mattner did in 2012 (that remains my favourite moment of the Grand Final - as I felt on the day, and still do today, that had he not won that 50/50, we would not have won the flag).

Glad to see Everitt doing well at Carlton, and Jesse seems to be getting an extended run at the Pies, which can only be good for him (as much as I despise the Pies, I hope it all clicks for White one day and he reaches the potential that everyone knows lurks beneath!)
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Its only early days with Laidler, but I really like his work and I think he is doing exceptionally well.

I really did think he would struggle to get a game, and maybe that would have been the case if not for the awful luck of AJ (Can't wait till the day we see him back in the 1sts again and the roar he will receive from the crowd!). In some ways, and I know he plays a different role, his defending style reminds me of Marty Mattner. Ultra reliable, does nothing flash, but gets in there, and willing to go for the 1%ers.

Even if he is half as good for our club as Marty, then I think we will have got handsome dividends out of what was a very cheap pick up for us. I'd like to think he can provide such a moment one day in a Grand Final as Mr Mattner did in 2012 (that remains my favourite moment of the Grand Final - as I felt on the day, and still do today, that had he not won that 50/50, we would not have won the flag).

Glad to see Everitt doing well at Carlton, and Jesse seems to be getting an extended run at the Pies, which can only be good for him (as much as I despise the Pies, I hope it all clicks for White one day and he reaches the potential that everyone knows lurks beneath!)
    Great post and agree on all fronts!

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Stella, I am not so sure about your assessment of Laidler (Incy being in side before him). I keep an eye out and he does 1%ers, nothing too flash, but reliable. Like that last bit of ice at the bottom of a drink, you don't really notice it until you have crunched your way through all the layers above it, but it serves a purpose of keeping your drink cold.
    I actually really like Jeremy, Primmy- I think he's been a great fit for us and I'm a really big fan- I'd put him in my top 10 of Stella's faves from our current 22. I'm just being honest that Andrejs might have had him covered for a spot in the team because his (Andrejs') form really has been great, and I think he's probably the likely guy that Andrejs would have knocked out.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    I have to say that I have always liked Jesse White, but unfortunately Collingwood are finding out that he is not a KPP, but is the biggest rover in the competition.
    I was talking to a friend today, a long time avid Collingwood supporter.

His summation of White sounded oh so familiar...." he gives us flashes of great play, then goes missing for 2 quarters".

I haven't been watching their games, but if this view is accurate then nothing much has changed.

Of the others...

If Mummy can get some continuity he's one of the best rucks in the league.

Everitt has played really well for Carlton, even doing some excellent tagging roles. Probably as pleasant a surprise for them as Laidler has been for us.

Lamb has a way to go, time will tell.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

(that remains my favourite moment of the Grand Final - as I felt on the day, and still do today, that had he not won that 50/50, we would not have won the flag).

Me too. You can see what the chase took out of Birchall, who clutched at his groin after Mattner got the ball OOB. And then
    a couple of minutes later, it's Birchall who Mal manages to push away from to get the space for that goal. Best passage of the GF.

Warming the Bench
    Had Birchall used his right foot or knocked it forward with his right hand instead of being a typical left footer and trying to turn back onto his left side Marty wouldn't have caught him. One of the things than stood out to me was the amount of times in the last quarter that our left footers kicked with their right foot just to keep the ball moving forward whereis the so called brilliant foot skills of the Hawthorn defenders most of which are left footers still tried to get onto their left boots and got caught or smothered. If you watch the games when Hawthorn get beat a lot of the time it's because they are forced to the wrong side of the ground so that they can't use their good kickers, this happens to us to. I think Mattner was a gun so many times over his career with us he would lay the big tackle or be third man up to spoil he played a lot taller than his actual size.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    ... In some ways, and I know he plays a different role, his defending style reminds me of Marty Mattner. ...
    I think Rampe is more of the Super Marty replacement, a tenacious defender who keeps on going until the ball is out or safe. Also has a great left boot on him.

... Ultra reliable, does nothing flash, but gets in there, and willing to go for the 1%ers. ...
    I think this is a pretty good description of AJ (and probably our whole backline, Shaw excluded from the "nothing flash" part )
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I think Rampe is more of the Super Marty replacement, a tenacious defender who keeps on going until the ball is out or safe. Also has a great left boot on him.

I think this is a pretty good description of AJ (and probably our whole backline, Shaw excluded from the "nothing flash" part )
    Certainly does describe plenty of our backline, it really is their 'ethos'. The telling stat of the 2012 grand final, amongst others, was our huge count of 1%ers.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345