Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ressie Watchers....who's next?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    On the other hand, he's been out of the AFL system, and out of playing any sort of top-level footy in general, for a couple of years, with apparently little intention of making it in the AFL again until recently. He wouldn't have done a proper preseason in some time, and that would have seriously hurt his fitness. Also keep in mind that he's only 21.

The way I see it, you've got an undeniably talented player who has shown potential to be a complete package, at least at WAFL level, who is still young, and who, if he works hard, can still make it. Most importantly, he came to Sydney off his own bat; we wouldn't be plucking him from WA. Worth a punt with a rookie pick IMO.
    Not so sure about the "undeniably talented" bit. Yes, he has some tricks but not convinced he has enough, or that they are sufficient to make an impact at senior AFL level.

As a comparison, Simon Phillips was significantly more impressive at reserves level from the moment he stepped into the club as an 18 year old. But his size was an issue when he tried to step up to senior level. Even after a couple of years at SANFL level he wasn't able to make the grade at Port when he was redrafted there.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BSA5 View Post
    Most importantly, he came to Sydney off his own bat; we wouldn't be plucking him from WA.
    Actually I think the Swans had some involvement in getting him to the SFL, how much they did I'm not sure.

I would like to acknowledge Jed Lamb. He is bicycling in Myanmar (Burma) with Peb and Crouchy. His very own Kokoda trip. Pushing himself to keep up with the big boys.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I would like to acknowledge Jed Lamb. He is bicycling in Myanmar (Burma) with Peb and Crouchy. His very own Kokoda trip. Pushing himself to keep up with the big boys.
    You'd think on their money they could afford a taxi.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I liked the look of Alex Brown from the first time I saw him and expect he'll show something this year with any sort of pre-season, unlike last year. He looks and moves like a footballer and has good awareness, a bit like what I liked about AJ when I first saw him.

Lockyer never got anywhere near enough times on the park to make any real assessment, but the club allowing Campbell Heath to move on suggests, to me at least, that they have some hope that in time, both Brown and Lockyer can step up into that 3rd backmen role.

Based on no more than a gut feel, I can see Everitt firing up and have a breakout year. I have no idea where he will squeeze into the seniors if he does, but I just sense we may see something different...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Where do you get this info from? Are they on an organised tour or on their own?

PS: Personally interested as I am a cyclist and only live 100 km from the Myanmar border.

Ressie Watchers....who's next?

ROK and Jared Crouch do cycling tours in the off season. Last year they did China or Vietnam. You can actually join them, there is usually some promotion of it on the Swans website but it must have failed its role!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Where do you get this info from?
    Crouchy and Jed have been tweeting about it...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Where do you get this info from? Are they on an organised tour or on their own?

PS: Personally interested as I am a cyclist and only live 100 km from the Myanmar border.
    Only 100km, get on yer bike fella and find them!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not so sure about the "undeniably talented" bit. Yes, he has some tricks but not convinced he has enough, or that they are sufficient to make an impact at senior AFL level.

As a comparison, Simon Phillips was significantly more impressive at reserves level from the moment he stepped into the club as an 18 year old. But his size was an issue when he tried to step up to senior level. Even after a couple of years at SANFL level he wasn't able to make the grade at Port when he was redrafted there.
    Phillips doesn't have the raw speed Broome does. For me, that was always what held him back at senior level. He could run rings around lower grades (personally I never saw him with our reserves, but I saw a bit of his SANFL form), but at AFL level the defenders are smarter and quicker, and he didn't quite have the pace to get into space. Broome definitely has that.

That said, it's not like he's a shoe-in or anything. But it may be worth a punt to see how he progresses.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Once saw an AFL opp player pick Phillips up by the waist and dump him elsewhere. Funny yes. But....way too light.

Broome has a bit of 'it' factor, and has a solid core. Did some surprising things. Sat back and watched a bit, and then darted in and achieved an outcome. Different sort of player. I thought he may have a bit of a chance. The bare bones suggest that he has 'something'.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The whole Tippett thing is phenomenal, the longest thread in RWO history and it turns out he never plays a game for the Swans, such extraordinary irony. Of course it's the same thing every year.
    As a reminder for the limited attention span crowd on here, few of whom watch the ressies. During last year's silly season we had Tommy Walsh playing the great white hype: We had posts exulting that "Walsh is OURS!!!!!!" - he was declared the Irish Wayne Carey" - and that Saints supporters were "BLEEDING!" at his departure. Theat he could well take our 2nd ruck spot and solve our key forward issues.
    12 months on and he's the forgotten man, laughable. If we don't get Tippett, I feel VERY bullish about Walsh's playing a powerful role at full forward for the Swans in 2013.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast