Thread: Football - great without gimmicks

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Football - great without gimmicks

This piece by Martin Flanagan touched a nerve.

Stand up to AFL noise and shout it down

It was bad enough when the Tigers were using the roarmeter or whatever they called the ridiculous item. There's no need for amplified noise at the game, especially when you're trying to have a conversation about what's happening. The game itself is a wonderful stimulant, it doesn't need artificial boosting.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    I'm afraid we've bred a crowd who have trouble entertaining or stimulating themselves.
    They want people to do it for them.
    It's a generation thing.

Then you have some swanky marketing git who looks for inspiration cause he has to justify his flash car and ponytail.

This is Greatness was enough to get me excited!!
    And it helps when you team is actually good enough to win a few games as well.

Senior Player
    Most of these gimmicks are marketing. I always politely, but firmly decline the Citibank clapper. You want noise? Clap, cheer and yell!

But yes, there does also seem to be an assumption that people are incapable of just sitting around and enjoying themselves without constant stimulation.

Maybe it's cause I'm not running on all cylinders today, but I just don't get what that article is on about.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Maybe it's cause I'm not running on all cylinders today, but I just don't get what that article is on about.
    I think the main point he's making is the intrusion of the PA system into any "slack" time (when the ball isn't actually in play) to add excitement by means of US style sport razzmatazz. He sees that as a form of taking the game away from the people it belongs to (us fans and spectators). It assumes that we are passive recipients of whatever the AFL offers, as if we bring nothing to the occasion ourselves apart from our entry fee. Any fan of the game knows that's not true, and an important part of the joy of the game is the contribution made by a knowledgeable crowd in various ways.
    The most important question he's asking is: Whose game is it?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think the main point he's making is the intrusion of the PA system into any "slack" time (when the ball isn't actually in play) to add excitement by means of US style sport razzmatazz. He sees that as a form of taking the game away from the people it belongs to (us fans and spectators). It assumes that we are passive recipients of whatever the AFL offers, as if we bring nothing to the occasion ourselves apart from our entry fee. Any fan of the game knows that's not true, and an important part of the joy of the game is the contribution made by a knowledgeable crowd in various ways.
    The most important question he's asking is: Whose game is it?
    Thanks Don, comprehend now!
    Maybe I was overly wrapped up in the moment but I don't remember there being "sound effects" during the GF.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Thanks Don, comprehend now!
    Maybe I was overly wrapped up in the moment but I don't remember there being "sound effects" during the GF.
    Same for me, but I suspect that may have been because of my own sound effects!

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I assume he was referring to the 'countdown' of the last 60 seconds before the opening bounce of the grand final at the ground? I found it a bit artificial, but have spoken to some who were at the game who said it actually helped settle the pre-match nerves, strangely enough, knowing how long there was to go before the bounce, since the build-up was so huge. It didn't really work for me, it seemed like the crowd didn't know how to react once the match had actually started! The LRT chants were better.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    For some of us Flanagan's idea of football hell is a flashback to the 80's, bring back the Swanettes
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

The half time/quarter time/tea break chat (depending on the sport) was one of the great things about going to watch sport. You could analyse and prognosticate, as well as catching up with the friends you have attended with. It's increasingly hard to do that these days because you can't hear anything during the breaks because of the incessant noise from the PA. It's probably one reason why people chat during play - it's quieter!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I'm afraid we've bred a crowd who have trouble entertaining or stimulating themselves
    Plenty of Hawks supporters seem capable of that.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news