Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The draft 2012

Working with young people I have found that 18 year olds with tarts like Membrey aren't usually the sharpest knives in the drawer. I hope to be proven wrong. Might explain why he slipped

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He could be shrinking...
    Gotta keep him out of the cold.... Could struggle down in Canberra

he did seem quite passionate though
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Working with young people I have found that 18 year olds with tarts like Membrey aren't usually the sharpest knives in the drawer. I hope to be proven wrong. Might explain why he slipped
    Have you heard Barry Hall or Plugger speak? All he needs is football smarts.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Common thread this draft seems to be speed.

And 189cm, with the exception of Matthew Dick (who's 188cm but probably still growing).
    Dick is only that tall when standing up.
    (I was going to say erect?)

Quite surprised with the group of picks, but think we did very well. I thought we might go for Membrey and Dick if available but thought they would go earlier, and very pleased with these later picks. I didn't think we would pick up a 22 yo, but don't mind Towers, and Marsh I didn't have on my radar at all, but his video looks good. I feel we picked up a lot of speed and skill with these players and all are a good size.

Most of us would have expected at least one KPD, but we really are far from desperate at this stage. We can reasonably expect that we can retain at least either Richards or LRT for another 3 years, and Grundy and Johnson can hold down the other 2 KPD spots. And we have a number of prospects coming through, as uncertain as they might be. But I think we have time until next year to focus on a KPD if none of the current crop work out. Would not be surprised if we picked a KPD at the rookie draft. And Brandon Jack can join our rookie list if we want him.

If I haven't missed it, I think both Garlett and Colquoon missed out. That's a bit of a shocker.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I will be happy the match our 2002 picks ten years ago: 3 Sydney Swan Premiership players, including a Premiership Captain, (McVeigh, Malceski, and Dempster). Those three have played a total of 461 games including 9 grand finals.

Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    Satch, thanks to your spelling mistake, I've had a really good and much needed chuckle tonight!

Interesting that Dayle Garlett didn't get picked at all. Surely someone will take a chance on him in the rookie draft or PSD?

GWS picked 4 tall KPP. It doesn't look like they expect to take Tippett from those selections.

Membrey might be 189cm, but he plays like a 194cm marking machine. 5cm longer arms than anyone else maybe. Very happy we got him.

Regular in the Side
    Bit surprised by the sameness in size maybe we could have moved them down one and taken Tanar Smith at 22. who was a Key defender. Seems like we now have a lot of flankers. I know you will say what about Lockyer, Brown
    etc but height down back never goes astray.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast