Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: The draft 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Not sure what the girls on here think, but my 15 yo daughter reckons they are all hotties.

They do nothing for me (at least not until they start racking up the stats).
    My 19yo wasn't overly impressed, Membrey got the best rating in her book.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Dick used to be in the swear filter not too many years ago, so he would have been known as Matthew @@@@. Which would have been awkward.

I'm sure he's had plenty of grief over his name.
    Scott, just thought we could do it as an informal policy. It just get's ridiculous sometimes with the name jokes. We're the Premiers. We're better than that.

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

A draft retrospective

This draft is often spoken of as the Dean Towers draft, and our selections roundly condemned. But exactly how badly (or well) did we do?

In the main draft, who did we select, and who did we miss out on?
    #22 Dean Towers
    The only significantly better option would have been #31 Kamdyn Mcintosh, who was taken by Richmond.
    #44 Harrison Marsh
    #46 Tim Membrey
    The only possible 2nd thought pick would be #48 Dean Kent, whose managed 98 games with a couple of clubs without setting the world on fire.
    #64 Matthew Dick

So it looks like it wasn't that poor a collection. Of course we could have taken either Callum Sinclair or Jonathon Ceglar instead of any of these, but at the time we were had the Mummy, Pyke and Jesse White, and with Naismith and Tippett about join.

So we took Kurt Tippett in the pre season draft, he played a bit under 15 games per season, averaging 11.6 disposals, 3.8 marks and 1.85 goals per game. Not a bad return but was the starting point for the salary cap stress that still effects the Swans.

In the Rookie draft the Swans did absolutely amazingly well, with none failing to make the firsts. The Swans overlooked anyone of note what so ever. An outstanding Job.
    #16 Jake Lloyd
    #29 Xavier Richards
    #37 Dane Rampe
    #50 Daniel Robinson
    #57 Brandon Jack
    #58 Sam Naismith

In hindsight, I don't think we could really have done any better than we did - I'd have given our recruiting in 2012 an A, but with Dirty Kurt included it's an A-. What do you think?
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 10th December 2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011