Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie draft / pre-season draft

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    So if the main list is two short, can we take two more Category A rookies?
    Yes, or Cat B rookies for that matter. I also believe you can leave those 2 spots empty.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Brandon Jack is a must just on pedigree and looks to have some real positives about him.
    Clubs don't recruit players based on pedigree. If they did, Kris Pendelbury and Myles Sewell would be on AFL lists somewhere, or would at least have had a crack. If Jack jnr is to win a spot, he'll need to do it on his own merits. I expect the Swans have invited a handful of their 18 and 19 year old scholarship and Academy players to train over the next week, all competing for a limited number of spots on the rookie list.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    Looks like all my dreams for the rookie draft might be coming true

"Meanwhile, Sydney has invited the younger brothers of Kieren Jack and Ted Richards to pre-season training, with the pair possible considerations for the December 11 rookie draft."
    Ex-Bomber Prismall trains with Port Adelaide

Anyone have any best case scenarios for the rookie draft / pre season draft? Other than Tippett obviously, I think that's being covered on another thread :P
    We are also appently interested in Tippett's brother, ha did quite well in the SANFL last year after going threough Brisbane and Gold Coast clubs. I may very well be mistaken, but there was some suggestion that he was also involved with his brothers secret payments (rather like GWS tried with Sculley's dad).
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    Some of the players I think are worth looking at - potentially, probably worthless, but since this is my first thread I need it to at least say one reply - are;
    Dean Polo (Saints) - I know he has had some issues, and didn't look good this year, but he undoubtably has the ability to play and play well.
    Cruize Garlett (Kangas) - Apparently he can play, I've never noticed him, but I've heard the name.
    Andrew Hooper (Dogs) - Some might not have noticed him / remembered him, but i sa his first game (against us in a final I believe) and I remember thinking he looked more like a Swan than a Bulldog.
    Cameron Wood (Pies) - Big, useless lump for a lot of games, but if you can fix the "useless" then you basically have Shane Mumford, and if we can teach a canadian rugby player to ruck, surely we can teach a first round draft pick (who was also traded for a first round pick later, he must have some potential in there).
    Kyle Reimers (Dons) - I know, I know, he seems like a nob and we have a policy about that, but last year we would probably have said that about Morton too...
    Matthew Bate (Dees) - It's never really clicked, but I can't help being a fan of the Master, he has the potential to be such a difficult matchup
    Jacob Surjan (Power) - Obviously a depth player, but he can play at the standard needed, and he's cheap.
    Justin Sherman (Dogs) - See Kyle Reimers / Moton
    Are you trolling ned?? I would be suprised if any of those you listed outside of Bate are picked up by any team, let alone us.

The brotherly love continues, we're after the Tippett brother as well.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I would be suprised if any of those you listed outside of Bate are picked up by any team, let alone us.
    I tend to agree although I don't mind the idea of Reimers having 12 months in our ressies to see if he really wants it.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I tend to agree although I don't mind the idea of Reimers having 12 months in our ressies to see if he really wants it.
    Absolutley

Reimers appears to be a first class knob, but he is very talented. Yes put him in the same class as Morton and a 12 month experiment with him costs us very little.

We have a good track record turning around wayward players
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

Permission to train - Brandon Jack, Sam Naismith, Dane Rampe, Xavier Richards

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Permission to train - Brandon Jack, Sam Naismith, Dane Rampe, Xavier Richards
    Do you rate Xavier Richards or Dane Rampe Ugg?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    Do you rate Xavier Richards or Dane Rampe Ugg?
    Rampe was a standout in the SFL and won the Phelan medal and was NSW best player and all australian in the State Championships

He was a Western Bulldogs rookie for a few years. Watching him play locally he knows how to get the footy and knows where the ball is going to next. Good size and no real weaknesses - the next step up is the only question
    The big boy from North Shore (via Northern NSW) is worth a punt. As we know big blokes take longer to develop, but he IMHO is OK
    September 24th, 2005 5.14pm
    What a great moment in all of our lives

Veterans List
    Some of the players I think are worth looking at - potentially, probably worthless, but since this is my first thread I need it to at least say one reply - are;
    Dean Polo (Saints) - I know he has had some issues, and didn't look good this year, but he undoubtably has the ability to play and play well.
    Cruize Garlett (Kangas) - Apparently he can play, I've never noticed him, but I've heard the name.
    Andrew Hooper (Dogs) - Some might not have noticed him / remembered him, but i sa his first game (against us in a final I believe) and I remember thinking he looked more like a Swan than a Bulldog.
    Cameron Wood (Pies) - Big, useless lump for a lot of games, but if you can fix the "useless" then you basically have Shane Mumford, and if we can teach a canadian rugby player to ruck, surely we can teach a first round draft pick (who was also traded for a first round pick later, he must have some potential in there).
    Kyle Reimers (Dons) - I know, I know, he seems like a nob and we have a policy about that, but last year we would probably have said that about Morton too...
    Matthew Bate (Dees) - It's never really clicked, but I can't help being a fan of the Master, he has the potential to be such a difficult matchup
    Jacob Surjan (Power) - Obviously a depth player, but he can play at the standard needed, and he's cheap.
    Justin Sherman (Dogs) - See Kyle Reimers / Moton
    Polo was a spud from the day Wretchmond recruited him during that woeful drafting period of theirs around 2004/05.
    Garlett not up to AFL standard
    Wood is a spud, always has been. always will be
    Hooper just not good enough
    Reimers worth a look although will test our NDH policy
    Bate worth a look, not sure why he's gone backwards as he looked top class when he first started
    Surjan, no thanks
    Sherman, was a knob when we tried to recruit him in 2010 and still a knob only older and less useful now.

Can't see that we offloaded fringe players to then try retreads from other teams but Reimers and Bate would provide depth for 2013 and could find a higher gear at the Swans.

I'd rather we tried Joel Tippett, KPD who had a great year in the SANFL or midfield ball magnet Kane Mitchell from the WAFL.

Rookie draft / pre-season draft

So what happens now? Are the invited guys pretty much guaranteed a rookie spot?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast