Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie draft / pre-season draft

On the Rookie List
    The Tippetts if available, Brandon Jack, Xavier Richards and stretch Naismith for the 5 spots available.

Joel Tippett look pretty handy at GC when he had a chance but unfortunately down the pecking order and out of favour for whatever reason. I kind of liken him to Drey Everitt

Brandon jack has unquestionable potential, Xavier is a bit of an unknown but it would be great to help him develop with his All Aus brother and Naismith could be anything with the new rucking laws.

Regular in the Side

Rookie draft / pre-season draft

Not because I wrote it but here's more info on the rookies training with us: AFL NSW/ACT: NSW youngsters hoping for Rookie spots

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    They are trees.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    Not because I wrote it but here's more info on the rookies training with us: AFL NSW/ACT: NSW youngsters hoping for Rookie spots
    Nice article Alison. Assuming we wanted one/two/all of these players as rookies, in the Rookie Draft we can prelist Jack and Naismith being Academy members and Rampe because he's from our NSW zone, is that correct?

Richards and Joel Tippett we would need to draft, hoping they are still there at our turn which could be as far out as 18 and 36 but I think some other clubs may be having none or one pick which will bring us in a bit.

Pre season watchers need to report back to RWO on what they see at training so WE can decide if WE want them :-)

I wonder where Dayle Garlett will find a home ? There will no doubt be an article or two before the PSD & Rookie Draft highlighting the unpicked gems.

Regular in the Side

Rookie draft / pre-season draft

That was my question but put it to the talent guys in the office and we came to the conclusion that it was a no - Dan Robinson is our only pre-selected rookie I'm pretty sure and all these guys are up for grabs.

Veterans List
    That makes it tricky then if other clubs are eyeing off our Academy players. Hopefully they aren't and don't see any value in NSW raised players.

The recruiters/coaching staff are going to have to rank the ones we want and hope they last until picks that could be out in the 50s and 60s although there was some thought that there will be a lot less rookies selected this year because of the list restructure that the AFL made. Like the ND, interesting day for the PSD & Rookie Draft, be watching on my computer screen!

We were calling to list Naismith from about his second ressie game in 2012. He can play, he is enormously tall but has a better proportioned build than say Spider Burton, and it was fun watching him being coached during the breaks by the Ruck Whisperer who had to tilt his head back to see him. Then he would go and try out whatever he was told to do.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by alison.z View Post
    That was my question but put it to the talent guys in the office and we came to the conclusion that it was a no - Dan Robinson is our only pre-selected rookie I'm pretty sure and all these guys are up for grabs.
    The rookie list rules have changed so often in recent years it is hard to keep track of them. But I believe we do still have some access to pre-list local players ahead of the rookie draft.

Robinson was a little different in that he was a scholarship player, pre-dating the Academy. Under those rules, any club can pre-list a scholarship player onto their senior list (and the player has no right to refuse - he exercised his right to choose when he accepted the scholarship - though of course he can choose not to pursue an AFL career at any club). Alternatively, and only if the player agrees, the club can put him directly onto their rookie list. Once this has happened, he is out of reach of all other clubs at the ND.

The Academy drafting rules are different. A club (with an Academy) can nominate an academy player to be recruited onto their senior list at the start of trade week. He is then subject to bidding from other clubs, identical to the FS bidding process. Academy players not nominated in this way are then available to all others in the ND.

If they remain undrafted in the ND, I think there are still some pre-nomination rights ahead of the rookie draft. Indeed, I don't think clubs are limited to Academy players. We nominated HC last year as a NSW rookie once GWS had indicated they weren't going to recruit him. But since any of the Swans Academy players are NSW lads, they must qualify as potential priority picks.

I went searching for some published material in support of my current understanding of the rules. I haven't found much, but the two links below provide some support, even if it is not conclusive. There is a short paragraph halfway down the first article that seems to support that NSW pre-nominations are still available in the rookie draft. The page from the Saints' website (that I could probably have found on other clubs' sites - I just found it first on the Saints' site) provides the various timings of the drafts, and it includes a time for the Northern clubs to pre-nominate local rookies ahead of the rookie draft.

I am guessing here, but given that we have already recruited Robinson, we are probably limited to a maximum of two other local pre-nominations. Whether these become category A or B rookies is anyone's guess. Category B makes some sense, except that the existence of the Academy is already an advantage 4 clubs have that others don't. And Starling is joining, he will already occupy one Category B spot, meaning there is only one left.

I confess I am a little surprised that the Swans don't have more of their Academy boys training with them, fighting it out for rookie spots. I'd have thought Wray and Weir would have shown enough to be in contention. Maybe Plug too, and there were plenty of others who put in decent performances this year for the NEAFL side.

Father-son rules change opens up options

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsar...2/default.aspx

Could add Kane Murphy to the list too. He was told to get a higher grade of game time, so took himself off to Adelaide and Norwood, worked part time, attended uni, did some good things in the sanfl. If that's not commitment, what is. Hope they notice.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Could add Kane Murphy to the list too. He was told to get a higher grade of game time, so took himself off to Adelaide and Norwood, worked part time, attended uni, did some good things in the sanfl. If that's not commitment, what is. Hope they notice.
    Kane just needs to put his head down and make a name for himself in the SANFL. The drafting last week of Currie and particularly Terlich shows that if you perform well at SANFL level, clubs are willing to take you on.

I spoke with Dyl at the B&F and he said he would be going down the same path and I see he has signed with Glenelg, so there will be a bit of competition there...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast