Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie draft / pre-season draft

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I hear Nippa is going to the SANFL too.

Veterans List
    I see Paul Connors, prominent player manager, is saying in his press release about Winmar being sacked by the Saints that there could be as few as 15 live picks in the Rookie Draft.

A lot of clubs must already have full rookie lists whereas ours is almost empty so with that low level of competition, we should be able to rookie who we want.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I see Paul Connors, prominent player manager, is saying in his press release about Winmar being sacked by the Saints that there could be as few as 15 live picks in the Rookie Draft.

A lot of clubs must already have full rookie lists whereas ours is almost empty so with that low level of competition, we should be able to rookie who we want.
    I read something a while ago that clubs seemed to have cooled on the rookies. Seems strange to me but maybe the free agency bizzo has used up a lot their caps. I think it is to their peril that they do not have a group of young players in the development stage.

The rookie list concept seems to be becoming more and more marginalised as more clubs are getting their own 'academy' setups and more clubs are becoming affiliated with major state league teams/running their own team as many do in the VFL.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The rookie list concept seems to be becoming more and more marginalised as more clubs are getting their own 'academy' setups and more clubs are becoming affiliated with major state league teams/running their own team as many do in the VFL.
    But it would seem that the rookie list allows for working age aspiring footballers to train full time and get paid, otherwise they would have to get a regular job and train part time. So it is a good way to try out a potential player on a full time basis at the low end of the cost spectrum. Obviously, there would have to be some potential there, or it wouldn't be worth it. Given how many success stories have come from rookie lists, it seems a fairly good option. Some clubs, like Adelaide, have done really well with rookie recruits. Grundy, Jack, Cunningham and Smith and probably a few others I've forgotten, have come off our rookie list.

I wonder if Broome is an outside chance..

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Polo was a spud from the day Wretchmond recruited him during that woeful drafting period of theirs around 2004/05.
    Garlett not up to AFL standard
    Wood is a spud, always has been. always will be
    Hooper just not good enough
    Reimers worth a look although will test our NDH policy
    Bate worth a look, not sure why he's gone backwards as he looked top class when he first started
    Surjan, no thanks
    Sherman, was a knob when we tried to recruit him in 2010 and still a knob only older and less useful now.

Can't see that we offloaded fringe players to then try retreads from other teams but Reimers and Bate would provide depth for 2013 and could find a higher gear at the Swans.

I'd rather we tried Joel Tippett, KPD who had a great year in the SANFL or midfield ball magnet Kane Mitchell from the WAFL.
    Reimers is far too much trouble even for us. Bate gets the ball easily enough it is what he does with it after he gets it that makes me cringe. He would have to improve his disposal incredibly. I don't think it would be an advantage to take either of them. I agree with you Tippett's brother sounds good and he has huge wraps from Andy Collins, his coach At 'The Bloods' in Adelaide. West Adelaide were known for years as 'The Blood & Tars'.

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    We were calling to list Naismith from about his second ressie game in 2012. He can play, he is enormously tall but has a better proportioned build than say Spider Burton, and it was fun watching him being coached during the breaks by the Ruck Whisperer who had to tilt his head back to see him. Then he would go and try out whatever he was told to do.
    i agree Primmy young Sam listens and works very hard. i noticed the same things you did, the ruck coaching and also the Forward Coaching that funnily enough came from Jesse. He gave the young bloke a few tips on leading and taking pack marks and it worked almost immediately as Sam got a mark. I am astounded we haven't pre-listed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Kane just needs to put his head down and make a name for himself in the SANFL. The drafting last week of Currie and particularly Terlich shows that if you perform well at SANFL level, clubs are willing to take you on.

I spoke with Dyl at the B&F and he said he would be going down the same path and I see he has signed with Glenelg, so there will be a bit of competition there...
    Dyl is going to a very good club even if we always seem to be the bridesmaid. He will love living in Glenelg as it is one of the most beautiful parts of Adelaide with a Cafe Culture with very good food. The club is very good and professional. The problem they have had over recent years is that as soon as they look like a top team they get decimated by the draft. This is what happens to a club that develops it's own talent and has always had a very good development department. I think he will excel there.

i just copied the from the AFL site.

About

Understanding the AFL: What you may or may not have known

Is there something about the AFL you didn?t know, don?t understand, a question you?ve always wondered about, a rule you?ve never quite understood, a quirky fact you didn?t even know existed, whether it be how does the ladder work, how have the finals changed, why did something first happen, how did it happen or if your after just the basic explanation of why we do the most basic things, hopefully, here you will find the answer, if not, simply ask the question and we?ll find the answer.

Veteran Players
    Rookie Listed Players
    The AFL Ladder
    Finishing Order
    Non-participation
    Anzac Day Matches
    Venues - From Cricket to Football
    Guernsey Numbers
    AFL Match Postponements
    Australian Football (Official title of the code)
    Wooden Spoon

Veteran Players

Under AFL player rules, each club may nominate or list any number of what are called Veteran Player?s.

In order to be eligible for classification as a Veteran a player must have been the age of 30 as at September 30 in the relevant AFL season and be on the primary list of the AFL club for at least 10 years or in the case of Port Adelaide since the inception of the club.
    From 2006 there is now no limit on the number of veteran players a club can list, as long as the player meets the required classification.

Rookie Players

All clubs can maintain a rookie list of up to six players. Participation at the NAB AFL Rookie Draft is voluntary. A player included on a clubs rookie list cannot play for the club in the AFL except in the Pre-Season competition of if a rookie-listed player is promoted as a long term injury replacement player
    A rookie player must be 18 (and under 23) before December 31 in the year he is drafted. Sydney & Brisbane can include one or more players on their rookie list during the period between the NAB Pre-Season draft and the NAB Rookie Draft provided the player has resided in NSW or the ACT (in the case of Sydney) or Queensland (in the case of Brisbane) for at least three years before his selection. This encourages Sydney & Brisbane to invest in local players who were not selected at either the NAB AFL Draft or the NAB Pre-Season Draft.
    A club can retain a maximum of three players on its rookie list for a second season provided it nominates those players at the time of the compulsory list lodgement.

Also this article is about new rules

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...5/default.aspx

this is also being considered by the AFL

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/defa...x?newsid=85502

i don't know but I am still confused. The AFL Rules I have looked at say nothing about A or B Rookies. They talk a lot about International Rookies, Mature Age Rookies & Academy Players but not A or B. The other thing is the rules are hidden away and you have to do a search to find them. Maybe if I went to the Swans club they might be able to allow me to read the pertinent sections from their copy of the rules. I must say the AFL site is not that easy to navigate if you want to learn something.

Veterans List
    The AFL website is often out of date.

The new rookie rules as I understand them are a maximum of four Category A rookies which is your usual type of rookies and four Category B rookies which is internationals, players who haven't been registered in any grade of Australian Rules comps for three years, players from other sports

You can have more than four Category A rookies if you have less than the maximum 40 on your main list.

Someone watching more closely than me may want to correct these numbers but I think we only have 37 on our main list at this point in time and that will be 38 if we get Kurt Tippett in the PSD. So we can have up to six rookies although we haven't had our maximum number of rookies in recent seasons.

The main reason there will be less rookies drafted this year is because rookie list sizes have been cut down in size and several clubs already had three or four rookies they wanted to retain from this year. Some had to cut rookies they wanted to keep to get down to the four limit.

Veterans List
    An article just posted on the Herald Sun website about the lower number of rookies likely to be taken in this years RD. Anyone know what it says as I don't subscribe.

Thanks in advance

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast