Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie draft / pre-season draft

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    They're saying there will be less than 30 rookies picked.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    The AFL website is often out of date.

The new rookie rules as I understand them are a maximum of four Category A rookies which is your usual type of rookies and four Category B rookies which is internationals, players who haven't been registered in any grade of Australian Rules comps for three years, players from other sports

You can have more than four Category A rookies if you have less than the maximum 40 on your main list.

Someone watching more closely than me may want to correct these numbers but I think we only have 37 on our main list at this point in time and that will be 38 if we get Kurt Tippett in the PSD. So we can have up to six rookies although we haven't had our maximum number of rookies in recent seasons.

The main reason there will be less rookies drafted this year is because rookie list sizes have been cut down in size and several clubs already had three or four rookies they wanted to retain from this year. Some had to cut rookies they wanted to keep to get down to the four limit.
    A recent article 707 says the 4 Rookie rule does not come in until 2013. I think it was one of those posted by me in the last post. It is an October 2012 article so quite up to date. At that stage it was only a proposal but I have seen a November article that confirms te AFL is seeking agreement from the AFL Players Association and the clubs and then it will go ahead.

Veterans List
    I think that's for the 2013 season rather than the 2013 draft period. It ties in with the change in main lists from 38 to 40 and the changes in Veterans conditions/salary.

I stand to be corrected but that is the explanation being given for the much smaller number of rookies expected to be taken this year.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    iAlso this article is about new rules

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...5/default.aspx
    The last section of that article confirms that we have priority access in the rookie draft to Academy players, though not how many we have priority access to.

Veteran Site Admin
    I think that's for the 2013 season rather than the 2013 draft period. It ties in with the change in main lists from 38 to 40 and the changes in Veterans conditions/salary.

I stand to be corrected but that is the explanation being given for the much smaller number of rookies expected to be taken this year.
    That plus there was a short term expansion to the rookie list size (from a base number of 6 to 8) that was effective as a list management concession while the new clubs were being formed. That concession has now been removed, bringing list sizes down from 38 + 8 (or 40 + 6 for teams with outside veterans) to 38 + 6, 39+ 5 or 40 + 4, with the choice of allocating the last two places between the senior list or the rookie list available to all, not just those with eligible outside veterans. As a result, the concept of the outside veteran has now been scrapped. The veteran concept for salary cap purposes remains, albeit in a changed format (subject to some transition arrangements that allow clubs to operate under the old format for a limited period of time).

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reading the document, with no minimum rookie selection anymore, couldn't we select all 11 available spots for 2013 (8 plus the 3 extras) provided no one outbid us AND we hadn't already selected anyone (which we will) AND subject to total squad number.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Knickers View Post
    Reading the document, with no minimum rookie selection anymore, couldn't we select all 11 available spots for 2013 (8 plus the 3 extras) provided no one outbid us AND we hadn't already selected anyone (which we will) AND subject to total squad number.
    The maximum rookie size is 6 + up to 3 category B (and only 4 + 3 if we want a maximum senior list of 40, which looks pretty unlikely for the Swans for 2013).

Veterans List
    You're a gem Liz. These rules and regulations are so complex and confusing.

I just want us to get more NSW kids into the side!

Veteran Site Admin
    These rules and regulations are so complex and confusing.

I just want us to get more NSW kids into the side!
    They certainly are confusing, and it doesn't help that they change so often.

As for local kids, Dane Rampe, one of the rookie list hopefuls, has painted an even more bleak picture than actually exists, In one of the articles posted about him earlier in this thread, he is quoted as bemoaning the fact there are currently no Sydney players at the Swans, only NSW players from interstate (whatever that is supposed to mean). You reckon he's never heard of LRT or Kieran Jack? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's classified one of the co-captains as of Central Coast, not Sydney origin.

Joel Tippett immediately stamped himself as probably the outstanding FB in the competition in the SANFL this year, but I'm still not sold on us getting him. He's now in his mid-20s and we'd be selecting him to play in Canberra unless we were ravaged with injuries in defence. If Grundy or Super Ted go down, then surely the gapfiller LRT would have to be first cab to play KPD in their stead. Joel can't play pocket or flank?he's too big?and there's nothing to suggest that he can play KP forward either (not that we would need another esp if Kurt makes it over). Where he plays is just not a position where we need extra depth. In his interests too, I'd rather him play for one of the many teams who need what he offers, and would give him a game (see, e.g., Dan Currie, who will we all hope finally crack his AFL debut in 2013).

Still, if it's a 2 for 1 deal, the extra amount that Joel will cost us is chickenfeed compared with his brother... .

Can people please not mention Matthew Bate, he is a pure dud and does not deserve to play for the Sydney Swans Football Club. Im not even sure why we need more players on our list. Our list is in terrific shape IMO, and we won't have too much movement in the rookie draft. I'd love to see Teddy's younger brother and Kizza's though. Also, Sammy Naismith. Good long term project.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.

2012 Bloods Premiers.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    They certainly are confusing, and it doesn't help that they change so often.

As for local kids, Dane Rampe, one of the rookie list hopefuls, has painted an even more bleak picture than actually exists, In one of the articles posted about him earlier in this thread, he is quoted as bemoaning the fact there are currently no Sydney players at the Swans, only NSW players from interstate (whatever that is supposed to mean). You reckon he's never heard of LRT or Kieran Jack? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's classified one of the co-captains as of Central Coast, not Sydney origin.
    Actually, he's a typical Eastern Suburbs kid. Anything north (LRT) or west (Jack) of Ultimo isn't really Sydney.
    Officially on the Reid and Sumner bandwagon!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast