Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Swan who fell to Earth

Veteran Site Admin

The Swan who fell to Earth

Apologies if this was posted at the time it was first published (the article dates back to June this year) but I have only just seen it and don't recall any discussion on here at the time. Sumner's story gives an interesting insight into the challenges faced by youngsters drafted to the AFL when they may not be quite ready for it.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/s...-1226430109833

Would like to see him get another chance somewhere. He demonstrated some raw footy ability during his brief stay at the Swans, and it sound like his experiences have helped sharpen his focus on what he wants and what is involved in being an AFL player.

Warming the Bench
    If adelaide or port don't give him a shot(rookie selection) they have bad list management, I had the highest hopes for him, to me the biggest shame was he was too afraid to ask for help.

Blog Entries
    It is a huge step from weekend footy to being a professional.
    Just shows it's not about the skill, but about the commitment, which I imagine is pretty hard for many youngsters.

Veterans List
    Thanks Liz, I haven't seen the article.

Ressie watchers would have seen a bit of Byron play, all I saw was a pre season internal game outside the SCG when I was visiting Sydney a few years back. Byron was very impressive with the way he sliced through traffic. I thought he was a certainty to make the grade from the little I saw but this article just shows the off field difficulties some players are faced with in their transition to AFL.

It would be nice to think that Byron can lift his game to a standard in the SANFL where he can get another chance at AFL.

Good to see the Swans spoken about with respect despie his fall from grace with us.

His 18yo, taller brother Tim got picked up at 55 in the ND by Gold Coast.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Great Read.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Liz, I missed this one too.
    I don't think there was ever any doubt about 'Uncle's' talent. Here's hoping he can add emotional maturity to his kit, having been through such a testing time, and find his own mind about life. Good luck to him.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Nice story. I really hope he gets his redemption. Hope Port or Crows pick him up so he can play AFL but stay close to family.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

That is down right sad...well written
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Great article. Thanks Liz.

This line intrigued me.

"I didn't like some of the players and I didn't like the players I lived with."

Who was he talking about? Probably just a typical 18 yo not liking some of the facts of life being pointed out to them by those who are older and wiser.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    This line intrigued me.
    Who was he talking about? Probably just a typical 18 yo not liking some of the facts of life being pointed out to them by those who are older and wiser.
    Two weeks ago there was an article about Byron and his younger brother whose just been drafted by the gold coast. In this article Byron admited not missing some sessions while at the Swans. And advises his brother not to follow his example.

The strange thing is:
    When I looked for the article in order to post a link here (see below), I found what looked almost exactly like that article, yet the self-incrimiating paragraph was not longer there. http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/tim...-1226523424265
    I don't think I'm imagining it, does anyone else recall that comment?
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Great article. Thanks Liz.

This line intrigued me.

In 2010, he lived with Campbell Heath, Lewis Jetta and Shane Mumford. Not sure about 2011, but I recall that Mumford had relocated to live with Josh Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    In 2010, he lived with Campbell Heath, Lewis Jetta and Shane Mumford. Not sure about 2011, but I recall that Mumford had relocated to live with Josh Kennedy.
    Mummy probably kept eating all of the sausages.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast