Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Sydney AFL players join AFL lists

Almost Football Legend

Five Sydney AFL players join AFL lists

Congratulations to the Sydney AFL players who make their way onto the AFL lists:

Brandon Jack (Pennant Hills to Sydney), Dane Rampe (UNSW-ES to Sydney), Daniel Robinson (Riverview to Sydney), Craig Moller (Sydney Uni to Fremantle) and Sam Naismith (North Shore to Sydney).

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Congrats to all these blokes, living the dream!

Question - is Rampe a Sydney boy from a young age?

Colesy, is your cousin Sam Dwyer, I remember you talking about him a while back.

Rampe is born and bred Sydney according to Kinnear Beatson.

What! No one from the NEAFL!? What's going on?

Joe redfern from neafl ? Few from northern neafl were selected. I think all selected by sydney played as top ups at some stage during recent neafl season. Maybe that helped get noticed a bit too
    Last edited by chatovadafloor; 11th December 2012 at 06:04 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Congrats to all these blokes, living the dream!

Question - is Rampe a Sydney boy from a young age?

Colesy, is your cousin Sam Dwyer, I remember you talking about him a while back.
    Yes - Going to be hard watching Carlton Collingwood games if he cracks it off the rookie list

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Swan View Post
    Moller is from Uni, a NEAFL club, I don't think he was available to play for them much last year though due to RAMS, topping up for GWS (another of those weird NEAFL ironies) and other rep type duties. He is a "product" of the NSW Scholarship system which has led to him and a number or other locals getting an opportunity they would never have had otherwise. That scheme is now dead though so you will see less locals making it onto AFL lists as opportunities will almost always mainly come from GWS & Swans via their Academies now. The Swans always hated sharing their "backyard" with others so they are happier now and you will see them providing a few rookie opps every year as the quid pro quo for having killed off the Scholarship Scheme as a condition of GWS coming in.

Everyone wants to claim them as their own - it's always been like that.
    Seven of today's draftees have played NEAFL Eastern this year, with Swans, UWS, SydUni or Eagles. That would have to be a PB of NSW players getting drafted in one year I reckon.

The idea of NEAFL is to provide a platform for the rising talent, but it's regrettable that the kids have to be living in Sydney to be noticed. Not a Canberra/QBN name anywhere.
    Norris L is right in saying that five SFL kids are in the draftee group, and the other two 'made it' by topping up with the AFL Reserves teams.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Everyone wants to claim them as their own - it's always been like that.
    Seven of today's draftees have played NEAFL Eastern this year, with Swans, UWS, SydUni or Eagles. That would have to be a PB of NSW players getting drafted in one year I reckon.

The idea of NEAFL is to provide a platform for the rising talent, but it's regrettable that the kids have to be living in Sydney to be noticed. Not a Canberra/QBN name anywhere.
    Norris L is right in saying that five SFL kids are in the draftee group, and the other two 'made it' by topping up with the AFL Reserves teams.
    You would have hoped for that, but I think it was really to give the 4 AFL clubs' ressies a better comp. It could easily be both with some thought, planning and funding, fingers crossed.

So far as Canberra/Q players are concerned, that's GWS Academy territory.

Whilst they did pick 2 Riverina boys, until the effect of all those priority draft picks dissipates, there won't be a lot of opportunities for young blokes from anywhere in their NSW zones, even less in Western Sydney, but eventually they will come.

Interesting to see B Jack get a spot on the Swans list ... sure that's not meant to be Brant?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Swan View Post
    You might find that the swans refused to allow Naismith to play NEAFL - possibly in an attempt to hide him from any other AFL club scouts. Rampe was certainly a class above others in the Sydney league and would have walked in to hills or uni team but chose not to (or were the swans hiding him as well)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by northernspy View Post
    You might find that the swans refused to allow Naismith to play NEAFL - possibly in an attempt to hide him from any other AFL club scouts. Rampe was certainly a class above others in the Sydney league and would have walked in to hills or uni team but chose not to (or were the swans hiding him as well)
    Naismith played a handful of games with the Swans' reserves team. In the NEAFL. So how were they hiding him?

It is also hard to see how they can be accused of hiding Rampe, given he trained with a Bulldogs a couple of years ago in the hope of winning a spot on their rookie list, and then played in the VFL for a year. After noticing his performances playing rep footy for NSW, they then gave him a couple of games late in the season. Again, on full view in the NEAFL.

I think you'll find it was a whole lot less sneaky than that - both of these guys came out of the Swans recruiting zone so Swans had first choice of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast