Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn to win flag in 2013

Hawthorn to win flag in 2013

Quote Originally Posted by cartman48 View Post
    Its OK Guys - the Swans are still ranked first in how much money you get to spend on players every year......
    Yet we have so few "stars" compared to Hawthorn - WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Yet we have so few "stars" compared to Hawthorn - WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?!
    No Stars - Selling your Team Short.... Kennedy, Goodes (Certianly at one stage the best in the AFL), Bolton, Hannebury, O'Keeffe, Jack are Stars and several young kids who will be stars, you also have more 200K players than any other side in the comp (Many delisted end of the year (Types like Seaby etc) I'm sure to free up a million a year for Tippett who must be now classed as a star given his pay cheque).

What is scary is you acquired Tippett and have not lost a player from your best 25, add in a maturing Tom Mitchell and a returning Gary Rohan and you are probably the most balanced side in the comp.

As much as you all seem to like to think you are hard done by underdogs, you have 10% more to spend and you have spent that cash very well - not blaming the Swans for taking advantage, blaming the AFL for continuing to let it happen after it has had its desired affect and made the Red and white ducks a power of the AFL.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I think you're underrating Sewell and Burgoyne, but apart from that I agree that the Hawks are overrated as a result of being from Melbourne where they are one of the strongest Victorian teams, they had a great 2012, I suppose I am more interested to see how they respond to the pain of losing a close grand final, as West Coast were spurred on by it in 2006.
    Sewell is good. His disposal and lack of pace let him down. Burgoyne averages around 17 possessions a game. He simply does not get enough footy to do damage - ranked 76th in the league for possessions.

I think our big challengers next year will be West Coast, Collingwood and Geelong. Adelaide and Hawthorn have just 2 genuinely elite midfielders each. We have 5 Collingwood 4. I don't think you can challenge without a strong elite midfield. I rate Sewell, he just isn't damaging enough for the possessions he gets

Cartman, Three of the stars you mentioned are veterans who have a chunk of their salary paid outside of the cap. Kennedy is on a decent contract with us but is getting well short of what he is now worth, and certainly well short of what hawthorns stars are paid. And Hanners is 21, and while he will command a big salary one day, he wouldn't be on one currently. If we had of bombed out of finals in straight sets as many predicted, would anybody have made a peep about our ability to recruit Tippett ? I highly doubt it. To say our salary cap concessions have contributed significantly to the state of our list is a bit of a stretch. Our recruiting staff, coaches, culture, and the players themselves have done that. 4 players aged 21 or under taken from picks 30 to 56 in the ND Played in our premiership side.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I think you're underrating Sewell and Burgoyne, but apart from that I agree that the Hawks are overrated as a result of being from Melbourne where they are one of the strongest Victorian teams, they had a great 2012, I suppose I am more interested to see how they respond to the pain of losing a close grand final, as West Coast were spurred on by it in 2006.
    They just upped the dosage.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Chance Bateman yesterday
    ?You?d probably hold off from completely dismissing Sydney again"
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Freo are serious contenders. Ross has arguably more to work with there than at St Kilda.
    Yes and the club isn't a joke like St Kilda. He doesn't get management interfering or Board Members telling him what to do. He gets to pick his own squad not like at the Saints where the recruiters just took who they wanted and stuff the coach.

Lance is worth every cent - 9.8% additional in your salary cap..... And yes the Swans were the better side in last years GF.
    You live here you know how much more expensive it is to live here or you should. Real Estate Rentals are $64/week more (almost 20% more), Mortgages are $66/wk more which is over 15% more, that means Rates are higher by the same amount seeing that they are charged at a % of house values. The 9.8% is very small in fact and yes Perth is very expensive at the moment for Housing and they also have a case for a subsidy. South Australia is the cheapest of the states to live in. Qld & WA are about 8% more on Mortages than Victoria & about 10% higher for rentals. Adelaide is lower than Sydney by 30% on both Mortgages and Rentals. All figures come from the Australian Bureau of statistics released on 11th December 2012.

4102.0 - Australian Social Trends, Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    You live here you know how much more expensive it is to live here or you should. Real Estate Rentals are $64/week more (almost 20% more), Mortgages are $66/wk more which is over 15% more, that means Rates are higher by the same amount seeing that they are charged at a % of house values. The 9.8% is very small in fact and yes Perth is very expensive at the moment for Housing and they also have a case for a subsidy. South Australia is the cheapest of the states to live in. Qld & WA are about 8% more on Mortages than Victoria & about 10% higher for rentals. Adelaide is lower than Sydney by 30% on both Mortgages and Rentals. All figures come from the Australian Bureau of statistics released on 11th December 2012.

4102.0 - Australian Social Trends, Dec 2012
    Nice work!

No Stars - Selling your Team Short.... Kennedy, Goodes (Certianly at one stage the best in the AFL), Bolton, Hannebury, O'Keeffe, Jack are Stars and several young kids who will be stars, you also have more 200K players than any other side in the comp (Many delisted end of the year (Types like Seaby etc) I'm sure to free up a million a year for Tippett who must be now classed as a star given his pay cheque).

What is scary is you acquired Tippett and have not lost a player from your best 25, add in a maturing Tom Mitchell and a returning Gary Rohan and you are probably the most balanced side in the comp.

As much as you all seem to like to think you are hard done by underdogs, you have 10% more to spend and you have spent that cash very well - not blaming the Swans for taking advantage, blaming the AFL for continuing to let it happen after it has had its desired affect and made the Red and white ducks a power of the AFL.
    Every player on the base salary must get the 9.8% extra in the pay packet, it is a requirement. We also pay experienced players this bonus as well. We do not stock up the 9.8% and use it to buy other players. The money for Tippett came from the delisting of several players and the fact several of our veterans were outside the cap. We also had quite a bit of cap in hand because of the retirements of a raft of players who were replaced by younger less well paid players. We delisted Seaby and Bulldog and traded Dennis-Lane.

Veterans List
    The great white hope, Brian Lake (nee Harris), gets locked up and fined for being pissed outside the Sorrento Hotel in Victoria. Will be interesting to see what type of lettuce leaf Hawthorn slaps his wrist with. Back in training a week and gets pissed. Certainly has his own version of pre season training. Now not hard to see why Footscray had issues with him. Reputedly on 400,000. What a dead set goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    It didn't say they were flag favourites it said they were taking the most money for them. Hawks are still favourites with Swans and WC next.
    Jewels the more money bet on a horse or footy club the shorter the odds. The shortest in odds is the favourite in the race. In this case the race for the flag.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast