Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swans and Hawks to feature in pride game?

Senior Player

Re: Swans and Hawks to feature in pride game?

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Why does the AFL hate disabled people so much? We have rounds for women, for gays, for traditional rivals and for indigenous Australians. Not having a handicapped round seems like a calculated insult to me. You bastards.
    There isn't much for footy to say specifically on that front. Whereas homophobia, sexism and racism are all things which are issues within footy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    There is nothing more divisive than putting a label on any group of people.
    That's my point but better and more concise. Thanks for the insights everyone, and some of the more weird observations. Noteworthy is the fact that redandwhiters haven't said 'no' to the idea, at least out loud (don't hang me, a few of you would know what I mean).
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    You are forgetting Richmond.
    Nice one

Swans and Hawks to feature in pride game?

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    That's my point but better and more concise. Thanks for the insights everyone, and some of the more weird observations. Noteworthy is the fact that redandwhiters haven't said 'no' to the idea, at least out loud (don't hang me, a few of you would know what I mean).
    I don't see how having a round highlighting or commemorating something is so offensive or divisive. What is the AFL's connection to war, these days? Why commemorate ANZAC? Just a question. Don't get me wrong, I think our armed forces do a lot for us civilians but as much as football is "like" war, it really isn't. These feature rounds are common in sport, I personally don't mind celebrating women's and indigenous involvement in AFL but that's just me lol

As a red-and-whiter of somewhat pink persuasion (don't get me started on how much I hate the colour pink; I think Eastern Europe does it better with considering light-blue the 'gay' colour for some reason) I'm glad to hear about this - even if it means dragging myself out to ANZ (grumble grumble).

I know in an ideal world there'd be no labels, no need for subcultural/ethnic/gendered 'prides', but we're a far way off from an ideal world. And while I have never, ever felt less than welcome or ever felt looked at 'differently' by RWOers here or in person - always been treated as just another fellow pathologically-Swans-obsessed fanatic, there have been moments at games when I've been reminded of the attitudes of a significant (albeit shrinking, we hope) segment of society when I hear really hurtful homophobic words being used to 'taunt' the opposing team on the field shouted virtually into my ears from a row or two back. And hearing the beyond-teasing outright hatred in the tone of the words used, believe me I felt very very uncomfortable.

So yeah, I've had times of feeling distinctly unwelcome (or conveniently invisible) at the SCG or ANZ. It does mean a lot to me to have the Swans (well, yeah, and the Hawks and AFL in general) take a moment to go out of their way to make me & my friends & fellow tribesfolk feel like we're just as much a part of the supporter base as everyone else.

Most importantly, we'd better win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri H View Post
    As a red-and-whiter of somewhat pink persuasion (don't get me started on how much I hate the colour pink; I think Eastern Europe does it better with considering light-blue the 'gay' colour for some reason) I'm glad to hear about this - even if it means dragging myself out to ANZ (grumble grumble).

I know in an ideal world there'd be no labels, no need for subcultural/ethnic/gendered 'prides', but we're a far way off from an ideal world. And while I have never, ever felt less than welcome or ever felt looked at 'differently' by RWOers here or in person - always been treated as just another fellow pathologically-Swans-obsessed fanatic, there have been moments at games when I've been reminded of the attitudes of a significant (albeit shrinking, we hope) segment of society when I hear really hurtful homophobic words being used to 'taunt' the opposing team on the field shouted virtually into my ears from a row or two back. And hearing the beyond-teasing outright hatred in the tone of the words used, believe me I felt very very uncomfortable.

So yeah, I've had times of feeling distinctly unwelcome (or conveniently invisible) at the SCG or ANZ. It does mean a lot to me to have the Swans (well, yeah, and the Hawks and AFL in general) take a moment to go out of their way to make me & my friends & fellow tribesfolk feel like we're just as much a part of the supporter base as everyone else.

Well said

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuri H View Post

Don't come back as an umpire in your next life...that is genuine hatred!

It seems that by highlighting differences in any group; black, white, religious, sexual orientation, pianist, military, richmond supporter, dentist whatever we are in fact highlighting that they are different, (from the so called norm). Wouldn't this then have the opposite effect on those folk making them feel....abnormal? Maybe we should openly ridicule all the homophobes in the crowd by standing up, en masse, and shouting, YOU ARE A LOOSER....YOU ARE A LOOSER. At half time we could have a "classic" moron paraded around the boundary on the back of a flat bed truck, suitably clad in typical garb, and we could all abuse him and throw our compost at him? Lets make them the different folk. IMHO! Any homophobes or morons offended herein was completely intentional.

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar
    Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break! Enough already OK!!!!! Sheeesh! What`s next?? People who love dogs but hate cats round?? It`s FOOTBALL people, that`s it. What about a round which is for ( WHIMWAKAW`s)

(White Hetro Males with Arse Kicking Amourous Wives) round....Hey!!!!!!
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

They have that, it's the white ribbon round for domestic violence. But that would be something irrelevant to Australia right??

Goes up to 11
    I'm all for it. It can only do good. It's nice to hear that most people on here so far are in support too.

Quote Originally Posted by PerthSwannie View Post
    Oh please!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break! Enough already OK!!!!! Sheeesh! What`s next?? People who love dogs but hate cats round?? It`s FOOTBALL people, that`s it. What about a round which is for ( WHIMWAKAW`s)

(White Hetro Males with Arse Kicking Amourous Wives) round....Hey!!!!!!
    This isn't a trivial issue. The depression rates among homosexuals is quite alarming and if the football community can help just a little bit then I think it's worth it. Football has done great things in tackling racism so why not tackle homophobia as well.

I'm not advocating football tackle every issue but as an important part of the community the football world has an obligation to use it's quite significant influence and take on issues like this.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    This isn't a trivial issue. The depression rates among homosexuals is quite alarming and if the football community can help just a little bit then I think it's worth it. Football has done great things in tackling racism so why not tackle homophobia as well.

I'm not advocating football tackle every issue but as an important part of the community the football world has an obligation to use it's quite significant influence and take on issues like this.
    You're right. I think Jason Ball's point is that before he "came out", the way that team mates and opposition players and maybe others in footy clubs may have made homophobic slurs around him or to each other. Unlike being a woman or indigenous, being gay is possible to hide for some people. My point is that when you're "with the boys", sometimes the way we speak changes, walls come down and slurs get bandied about that you probably wouldn't say if other people were around.

Jason Ball has been around his footy club since he was five, and no-one had any idea that he was gay. For him to come out and to ask the AFL to promote a Gay Pride round is not about highlighting or congratulating him for being gay. It's about making a statement to others who may have an issue with gay people to maybe take a look at what makes us similar (our love for footy) rather than what makes us different (who we love). In an article in The Age, an ex-Auskick coach was confronted by parents and called an assortment of choice words when they were spotted leaving a nightclub with their partner. Rather than causing a fuss, they quietly resigned.

The AFL and in recent times, Collingwood have done a great job in tackling racism. This was achieved through consultation and training as well as the threat of fines and membership termination. A multicultural round may be just the starting point or a annual reminder, but it is an opportunity to remind players and supporters that racism isn't ok. Jason Ball is a gay person who obviously thoroughly enjoys his footy and hopes that the AFL uses its powers for good to make a change and increase tolerance and understanding in not only his own community but throughout Australia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast