Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Swans and Hawks to feature in pride game?

Goes up to 11
    Big Al and DamY - a couple of quality posts from you two. It's great to read such well written and thoroughly decent comments and to see the support for this. Maybe one day this sort of thing won't be an issue but it certainly still is, and I'm speaking from personal experience here.

Swans and Hawks to feature in pride game?

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Big Al and DamY - a couple of quality posts from you two. It's great to read such well written and thoroughly decent comments and to see the support for this. Maybe one day this sort of thing won't be an issue but it certainly still is, and I'm speaking from personal experience here.
    Cheers! I guess the goal for Jason and others is that we may all attend or play footy and feel safe from fear of being discriminated or vilified regardless of colour, sex, sexuality etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    You're right. I think Jason Ball's point is that before he "came out", the way that team mates and opposition players and maybe others in footy clubs may have made homophobic slurs around him or to each other. Unlike being a woman or indigenous, being gay is possible to hide for some people. My point is that when you're "with the boys", sometimes the way we speak changes, walls come down and slurs get bandied about that you probably wouldn't say if other people were around.

Jason Ball has been around his footy club since he was five, and no-one had any idea that he was gay. For him to come out and to ask the AFL to promote a Gay Pride round is not about highlighting or congratulating him for being gay. It's about making a statement to others who may have an issue with gay people to maybe take a look at what makes us similar (our love for footy) rather than what makes us different (who we love). In an article in The Age, an ex-Auskick coach was confronted by parents and called an assortment of choice words when they were spotted leaving a nightclub with their partner. Rather than causing a fuss, they quietly resigned.

The AFL and in recent times, Collingwood have done a great job in tackling racism. This was achieved through consultation and training as well as the threat of fines and membership termination. A multicultural round may be just the starting point or a annual reminder, but it is an opportunity to remind players and supporters that racism isn't ok. Jason Ball is a gay person who obviously thoroughly enjoys his footy and hopes that the AFL uses its powers for good to make a change and increase tolerance and understanding in not only his own community but throughout Australia.
    That Age article you mentioned is a sad but probably still common story. I guess some parents, hopefully a minority, are unable to separate the concept of "gay football coach" from "he's going to interfere with my son or check him out in the change rooms."

Bring on the Pride round. In some ways I guess I'm disappointed that we need it, along the same lines of some of the posters here, but I can also see and understand the points of those who support it. I just hope that it's celebrated in a dignfied (but still fun) way rather than getting us all to sing along to the songs from Priscilla for the 20,000th time.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    My gay son and a friend were at a match immediately in front of some kids - I think in their teens - who were yelling homophobic remarks. They decided they'd had enough and stood up, turned around and asked the father of said kids to tell them to can it, or they would call security. Son is tall and athletic, friend is nearly as tall and built like a brown bear. Father complied and kids shut up. Good outcome under the circumstances but should not even be necessary. Roll on civilization.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Good idea for AFL to get in front on this one. It's an inclusive sport. League still welcomes Neanderthals, soccer is blighted by ethnic rivalries, cricket is for Anglos, rugby for private school Anglos.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    That's my point but better and more concise. Thanks for the insights everyone, and some of the more weird observations. Noteworthy is the fact that redandwhiters haven't said 'no' to the idea, at least out loud (don't hang me, a few of you would know what I mean).
    Mmmmmm.....do you really, seriously think that saying "it's OK to be Gay" is divisive? In this particular instance (AFL football) there is a specific problem which this simple INCLUSIVE statement can begin to fix. In the wider community there is the very, very serious issue of bullying/abuse/systemic discrimination and suicide.....all as a result of the victims being gay.

The idea of this round is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF DIVISIVE :-)

The only people who might feel "divided" by this game are those who are religious nutcases and any others who genuinely homophobic. At this stage only 3 or 4 players have made a public statement that they would be fully accepting of a gay player. That is a truly staggering number that needs to change not just for the IMAGE of football but for the mental health of all gay footballers. As Elliot Ness said in The Untouchables (1987) "Let's go do some good!"
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

A question for the couple of posters who have said they feel uncomfotable or disgusted when they have heard 'hurtful homophobic taunts' by fans at footy grounds directed at the opposition.

What are we talking about here? If an opposition player goes down looking for a free or similar and somebody yells out 'Get up ya weak poofter', is that the typical supposedly homophobic comment we are talking about? Or are there much worse homophobic slurs that I'm not sure I've heard at the footy?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Mmmmmm.....do you really, seriously think that saying "it's OK to be Gay" is divisive? In this particular instance (AFL football) there is a specific problem which this simple INCLUSIVE statement can begin to fix. In the wider community there is the very, very serious issue of bullying/abuse/systemic discrimination and suicide.....all as a result of the victims being gay.

The idea of this round is THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF DIVISIVE :-)

The only people who might feel "divided" by this game are those who are religious nutcases and any others who genuinely homophobic. At this stage only 3 or 4 players have made a public statement that they would be fully accepting of a gay player. That is a truly staggering number that needs to change not just for the IMAGE of football but for the mental health of all gay footballers. As Elliot Ness said in The Untouchables (1987) "Let's go do some good!"
    No that's not what I mean. call it clumsy english. And yeah, it sure is ok to be gay. In fact I was introduced to the game by a gay friend who I have known for some 35 years (I knew he was gay before he did, made for an interesting conversation). I have sat next to him at every home and some away games since 1996, along with multiple theatre events, Sydney Olympics, the odd tennis tournament, cricket, you name it, anything you can think of that requires a ticket and involves a lot of fun. I am only calling into question "gay pride" as a descriptive of being exclusive instead of inclusive. To me its a them v us descriptive.

So many of the gay men I know are not at all interested in being proud about being gay. We have had this discussion many times over the years, and most of them are just not that into the pride aspect. Perhaps they are now just comfortable within their own skins, as they are a great deal older than the age group Jason Ball comes from.

As for gay footballers, afl type, I am very sure there are quite a number of them from grass root to afl level. Its just not something I have thought about all that much, because being gay is not something I consider to be 'different'. It just is.

Ah well, perhaps I am behind the times as because as it is not an issue with me I have put it on a mental backburner as an issue to so many others. Happy to support gays in sport at any level. Mind you if I heard anyone in the crowd slanging off at a player in a gay slur way he had better have a quick exit worked out before I got to him.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Swans and Hawks to feature in pride game?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    A question for the couple of posters who have said they feel uncomfotable or disgusted when they have heard 'hurtful homophobic taunts' by fans at footy grounds directed at the opposition.

What are we talking about here? If an opposition player goes down looking for a free or similar and somebody yells out 'Get up ya weak poofter', is that the typical supposedly homophobic comment we are talking about? Or are there much worse homophobic slurs that I'm not sure I've heard at the footy?
    Regardless of the context, using a derogatory term like that isn't right. It's just as unacceptable as saying "they're playing like women" (which I have heard at a Swans game by some rowdy fans). Saying things like "bummers" and "poofters" sets the example to children and others that it's ok to do and say things like that and that being a poof is not ok. We learn a lot from our environment and that is why it's not ok to do that.

I don't think it matters who is saying it, opposition or not, player or not, it's wrong. Now it's unacceptable to say things like @@@ and nigger and rightfully so. In time, saying something like faggot or poof or pansy will be unacceptable too and that is the goal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234