Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Score Board Pressure!!

Long Term Injury List

Help with Score Board Pressure!!

Hello RWOers, Happy New Year all.

I?m hoping some of you may be able to help out a friend of mine, Vin Maskell. Vin is one of the founders of the website http://scoreboardpressure.com The website (which is worth a look by the way) is building an ongoing history of scoreboards/grounds/related stories.

Vin is trying to locate any photos or stories you may have of the old scoreboard at the Lake Oval in Albert Park. The site is not looking to make money from the photos, simply continue building this history.

My family didn't own a camera back in the days of standing on the terraces so we weren't much use but I hope someone out in RWO land can help out.
    Thanks ,
    Baskin.
    P.S. It's nice to be back on-line and I see the Tippett thread has fallen down the page a tad!!
    Last edited by ScottH; 7th January 2013 at 10:23 AM.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Hello RWOers, Happy New Year all.

I?m hoping some of you may be able to help out a friend of mine, Vin Maskell. Vin is one of the founders of the website http://scoreboardpressure.com The website (which is worth a look by the way) is building an ongoing history of scoreboards/grounds/related stories.

Vin is trying to locate any photos or stories you may have of the old scoreboard at the Lake Oval in Albert Park. The site is not looking to make money from the photos, simply continue building this history.

My family didn't own a camera back in the days of standing on the terraces so we weren't much use but I hope someone out in RWO land can help out.
    Thanks ,
    Baskin.
    P.S. It's nice to be back on-line and I see the Tippett thread has fallen down the page a tad!!
    Whoops, forgot to say, you can PM me and I will give you Vin's direct contact details or go to the website and use the contact page. Thanks again.

I can recall the old scoreboard above the umpires room. I don't think I have a photo of it though.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannie14 View Post
    I can recall the old scoreboard above the umpires room. I don't think I have a photo of it though.
    No probs, any stories you could tell about it?

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    No probs, any stories you could tell about it?
    It had a distinct bias to the 'away' side...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    It had a distinct bias to the 'away' side...
    That is true.

I remember the scoreboard attendants having to lean over the side of it and put the scores up manually, and the scoreboard was like a v-shaped decking on the umpires change rooms. The v shape was necessary so it could be seen form all parts of the ground.

I don't have any photos, but had a quick look on YouTube and discovered this:
    Press Box Scoreboard.jpg

Note the press box above and the police stationed outside the umpires rooms. Amazingly we are in front, but it is early, and we went on to lose this game.

Long Term Injury List
    Doctor J. what a great photo. Amazing how close the boundary line is to the building.

Pushing for Selection
    Just to the right of that pic is the Bowling green Hence the name "The Bowling Green Wing" They were known to play bowls during games in the 50s

What visionaries we were, there's even a FoxFooty flag hanging from the window years before Pay-TV was around...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    What visionaries we were, there's even a FoxFooty flag hanging from the window years before Pay-TV was around...
    Years ahead of its time this club

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    That is true.

I remember the scoreboard attendants having to lean over the side of it and put the scores up manually, and the scoreboard was like a v-shaped decking on the umpires change rooms. The v shape was necessary so it could be seen form all parts of the ground.

I don't have any photos, but had a quick look on YouTube and discovered this:
    Press Box Scoreboard.jpg

Note the press box above and the police stationed outside the umpires rooms. Amazingly we are in front, but it is early, and we went on to lose this game.
    aaah...great memories!
    Baskin, is this the old scoreboard you meant? I can recall the main scoreboard being in the forward pocket diagonally opposite the member's stand at the opposite end. I keep dreaming if I had a few million in the 1970's what I would have done in helping South Melb invest in the ground, facilities and players. Who you know mattered...just ask the North Melb officials!

Terrific photo and good yarns about the press box scoreboard at Lakeside Oval. The photo (thanks Doctor J) appears to be from a 1979 game against Fitzroy. Can anyone identify the big Swan on the right-hand side? Is it Roundy? And let me know if anyone tracks down a photo of the main scoreboard. I'm looking forward to, in a few weeks' time, featuring Lakeside Oval on my little site, Scoreboard Pressure. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast