Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This years big thing - Who will it be? Rookie or other

Senior Player
    Another potential big thing is Kizza taking another step up and becoming one of the best players in the competition. He's still my pick for our next Brownlow.

Veterans List
    What about Mummy. If he is right back to his best fitness then look out. I don't think we have seen the best of him yet.

Blog Entries
    Was 2012 Hanners coming of age?

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    Might be Lloyd Perris if he is in the draft this year and we can somehow get him.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I know the rules are constantly changing on these things. I think Perris is not only an Academy player, but also a scholarship holder, which would put him in the same class as Daniel Robinson, where he can just be added to our rookie list. I also think Academy players, not holding NSW scholarships, can go into something similar to a F/S bidding system.

So in either case, I think we can get him if we want to.

I thought he might be training with the Swans this year and would expect he will play in the Ressies. Would like some more info if anyone has some inside information on how he is doing.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Was 2012 Hanners coming of age?
    Needs to be a bit more consistent to say that. I would suggest that the GF performance though, was the start of something big.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Needs to be a bit more consistent to say that. I would suggest that the GF performance though, was the start of something big.
    I think his finals series was. Played pivotal rolls in all games.
    If he can do that for most of the year, he'll push JPK for the B&F

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I know the rules are constantly changing on these things. I think Perris is not only an Academy player, but also a scholarship holder, which would put him in the same class as Daniel Robinson, where he can just be added to our rookie list. I also think Academy players, not holding NSW scholarships, can go into something similar to a F/S bidding system.

So in either case, I think we can get him if we want to.

I thought he might be training with the Swans this year and would expect he will play in the Ressies. Would like some more info if anyone has some inside information on how he is doing.
    If they are a Scholarship holder then you can list them for free but I don't thing there are any more Scholarship players in the system.

Academy players go through the same bidding process as Father-Son.

Be great if Perris is a Scholarship holder otherwise for certain we'll have to give up a ND pick

Senior Player
    I'm pretty excited to see what Hanners and AJ could be this year. Parker is another one, but for some reason I think 2014 will more likely be his year.

Veteran Site Admin
    There are still some scholarship players lurking around. Certainly several other clubs still have some in the pipeline.

I am pretty sure Perris and Jalloh were signed just before the end of the scholarship scheme, meaning Perris might qualify as a scholarship player, rather than an academy player, for drafting purposes. But it is possible that the Swans had to agree to classify those late recruits as academy players in return for the whole academy set-up (which is potentially a far greater perk, IMO, than the COLA, even if it may take a few years before the benefits are felt. Wait for Eddie and his mates to get up in arms over this!)

Speaking of Jalloh, I notice he's not listed in the academy U18/19 squad for this year. So presumably he dropped out somewhere along the way. Does anyone know what came of him? Has he turned his attention to other sports?

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Speaking of Jalloh, I notice he's not listed in the academy U18/19 squad for this year. So presumably he dropped out somewhere along the way. Does anyone know what came of him? Has he turned his attention to other sports?
    He is competing in Athletics, sprinting mostly. Dunno what his footy status is though.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    AG37
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

This is my annual gift to the list. I've been attending the odd training while on Hols and got to say very impressive both recruits and old stagers:

1. Tim Membury - looks big and scary but may lack fitness and a defensive posture at this stage. At least a year away.
    2. Rhyce Shaw - looks comfortable and focussed. Great finals campaign especially Prelim and GF.
    3. Jared McVeigh - stepped up his already outstanding work rate in finals. My man of the finals. Being recognised more for his leadership role as well.
    4. Daniel Hanneberry - outstanding work rate in a young player, courage beyond understanding and an ability to be where the ball is, stamps him as the next big thing (future Captain?)
    5. Ryan O'Keefe - Great GF best year of his career after what I thought was a slow start. Should push for AA selection if his form carries over this year.
    6. Tom Mitchell - Fanastic prospect. Really liked what I saw in Reserves last year but looks fragile. Hope that he can stay on paddock, great distribution skills, gets footy, brings other players into the game. real leader.
    7. Harry Cunningham - looked great last pre-season but faded. Looks stronger and fitter. Has real pace, good finisher and readsthe ball well. Future at club as small forward, goal kicking mid-fielder, etc.
    8. Kurt Tippett - Hmmm. Looks great on track and big. Wonder how PTB see his role. Is he the power forward, the relieving ruckman, the Centre Half Forward? Will be interetsing to see how he fits in the mix when he becomes available but just as importantly how he adapts to the challenges of his publicity.
    9. Nick Malceski - the bookends in GF made up for the many disappointments in his career. Not sure about his longevity but he has made me re-evaluate his value to the team.
    10. Mitch Morton - won a lot of belief with some spectacular cameos in the finals. Needs to be consistent in his application to maintain position especially as he does not seem to have flexibility to play anywhere but up forward.
    11. Jed Lamb - thought he might break out last year but with full pre-season and some luck could be his year. Great skills, reads play well, finishes with poise.
    12. Josh Kennedy - Outstanding player. Most feared player at the Swans now after last year. Will be tagged relentlessly, good luck going up against his hard body. Might open up oppourtunities for other mid-fielders by playing more forward to try and break tag.
    13. Andrejs Everitt - played some pivotal roles for Swans last year and deserved more oppourtunities but seems to drift in and out of play. Could have big year if he can get more involved more often.
    14. Craig Bird - what a great team player. Prepared for any role , tagging half forward, run with midfielder, wing, back, anywhere. Got it all except for real pace but makes up for it in other departments.
    15. Keiran Jack - despite being able to win his own the inside ball when required does most damage running wide and linking up play. Become an elite A grader against all expectation and don't you love it when he lines up from the boundary on the run. Still able to do tagging role when required but more damaging than most taggers.
    16. Gary Rohan - what a start to the year. Looked great especially one out up forward, either as leading or marking forward. Hope all is well for a sucessful comeback looks like a few months away yet.
    17. Tommy Walsh - had a good game against weaker opposition but still lacked polish. Training house down again and looks great, if there are injuries to key players may get chance.
    18. Jesse White - "looks like Tarzan plays like..." have my doubts about whether he can raise the bar to be in best 22. Would love to see it happen but ...
    19. Tony Armstrong - started match against Essendon spectacularly, winning possessions and distributing well. Needs to be more involved when he has oppourtunities. Backline positions early might be up for grabs with Nick Smith and Mattner in recovery mode so competition should be fierce.
    20. Sam Reid - this guy gets a lot a lot of flak for not getting enough possessions especially in the media. My observations are more about what we miss when he isn't there. He provides a contest almost every time the ball arrives, he leads up, takes grabs, kicks goals (and points) and gives us structure.
    21. Ben McGlynn - really felt for this guy on GF day. Works tirelessly up the ground and gut running back to the square. Courageous to a fault and a goal kicker.
    22. Dean Towers - from training and video looks like a good prospect as an attacking wing/back, hopefully we'll get to see more of him in NAB Cup.
    23. Jordan Lockyer - interrupted season last year but looks fully fit and training well. May get early chances on backline to make an impression.
    24. Jude Bolton - thought he was finished after Carlton game but couldn't have been more wrong (thankfully). Great competitor and has a role with team that is peerless, think back to Prelim Final and his passes to both Sam Reid and Jetta admittedly one was more memorable than the other but its Jude that counts.
    25. Ted Richards - was at Etihad when he got cleaned up against Carlton and wondered how he didn't lose a kidney or worse. Testimony to his courage that he came back at all but if anyone ever doubted that his GF was a masterpiece of will over circumstance.
    26. Luke Parker - great early in year and was a stand out in mid-field against Hawks in Launceston. Suffered injury and struggled to restablish himself, started to get back to real form late and deserved his spot in GF team.
    28. Matthew Dick - will take time to fill out and establish credentials, good background so fingers crossed.
    29. Marty Mattner - showed grit to go with other qualities in finals. Great one on one or floating defender, may have injury concerns and preparation issues but still one of our better players.
    30. Lewis Roberts-Thomson - loved Cometti's description "like a Swiss Army knife has lots of roles and does them all well". Pretty much describes LRT but in so doing overlooks his courage, determination and committment.
    31. Harrison Marsh - video and training looks good, look forward to seeing more of him in pre-season.
    32. Lewis Jetta - after being overlooked for AA selection, stuck it up selectors by playing pivotal role in Qualifying and Prelim, then gave great service to Swans with amazing smarts in GF. Gets better every year had my doubts especially after 0-19 but gotta love "the Jet". Reckon he's good for another 5K in attendance anytime we play.
    34. Alex Johnson - his combination with Nick Smith, and the other back 6 was instrumental in our success. Has pace, endurance, courage, will and an appetite for the contest.
    36. Alex Brown - not seen on track. looks likely in videos but will need a year or two to develop.
    37. Adam Goodes - one of the genuine superstars of the AFL and with a desire and love for the club that is both breath taking and reassuring.
    38. Mike Pyke - "the worst player in the history of the AFL/VFL", "the most improved player in the universe", the difference between winning and losing in the GF. Can he maintain his position in light of the Tippett factor? I hope so, I love seeing this game evolve and Mike Pyke is a shining example to the world that this game is there for everyone.
    39. Heath Grundy - there is so little fuss made of this tradesman yet he is such a key player for us. His almost mystic understanding with Ted Richards has made this the stingiest defence in the comp.
    40. Nick Smith - has finally got the recognition he deserves from the media but that would the furthest thing from his mind as he continues to do whatever job "Horse" needs doing and doing it brilliantly.
    41. Shane Mumford - when I heard the rumour on GF day that he had hamstring problems, my heart sank and I immediately went to the SEN tent and asked their producer if they had any news. They had not heard anything but thought that it might be genuine. The relief when I saw him run out with the team was immense. His value to the team is both physical (hell yeah) but also psychological everyone walks taller and why not. More than just a tap ruckman pays his way as a midfielder as well.
    Rookies - cannot comment with any confidence about any rookies with exception of:
    43. Dane Rampe - had a lot to do with Dane as a junior and at school. Followed his career with interest and wish him well. Training house down in pre-season. Can kick goals, take a mark and has bigger body and endurance from 2 years with Williamstown in VFL. Could step upin better company and loves being home.

Really looking forward to the new season and gotta love them swannies!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast