Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pickups by club

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    How quickly we forget Shannon Grant!
    Ah. Yes. Well. Didn't we do a great deal and did mightily in return? Wasn't it Schwatta?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Great thread - best gloat I've seen for ages!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    yeah, thats right. I remeber this because a port fan I knew at the time was gloating about how we let salopek through to them, and he'd be 100 times better than McVeigh.
    He may well have been better had we picked him and Port gotten Macca

Essendon gave us Derrick Kickett he was 'sort of OK'! They also gave up Neville Fields, Merv Neagle and Peter filandia.

Collingwood gave us Robby Ahmatt & Scott russell

Carlton gave us Vin Catoggio, unfortunately they got Bernie Evans as well as rhyce-jones, Mitchell and Diesel.

Not only did Fitzroy give us Roos but also Peter Caven, Darren Kappler & David Strooper

The Saints also gave us Roy Cazaly

Do you realise that Adam Goodes is not the first Goodes to play for the Swans. Reg Goodes played one game in 1950.

Richmond gave us Francis Jackson and they got John Pitura somewhere along the line. Wrechmond also gave us 'The Whale' and Graeme Teasdale

Melbourne gave us a young bloke who had injury problems called George Lakes who could have been a star today with LARS surgery. His real name was Theodoralakis and he was from Broken hill. But we did get a great coach who came from there in Barrassi.

We did give South Australia probably their greatest coach, the great Jack Oatey

Geelong also gave us Henry Playfair and Diesel

A Peter Tippett played 29 games between 1945-47

West coast gave us Scott Watters for a couple of seasons

Norf gave us Shane Zantuck

Senior Player
    Bulldogs graciously didn't have Sammy's dad play enough games to qualify for father/son.

Ah yes, Derek Kickett. Just for the x factor he should be acknowledged! Everyone in the crowd seemed to lift when he came on the ground, however briefly. And he did tend to do those impossible non aimed kicks that just went through the posts. Love him.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Geelong also gave us Henry Playfair and Diesel
    Toohey come ffrom geelong? he was a good HB

waz

What about John Ironmonger I cant remember where we got him from - was it WC?

Cheers

waz

ok I know bugger all about afl .. no excuse just a fact.. what I have seen over the years that the structure at the swans allows for most players (the ones the staff would pick) do better here then where they were. Lets hope KT follows the tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    What about John Ironmonger I cant remember where we got him from - was it WC?

Cheers

waz
    Was from east Perth and won the Sandover Medal in 1983. Was drafted by the Swans in 1985 ans played 45 games for us before playing 43 for Fitzroy. A total of 88 injury interrupted games.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Was from east Perth and won the Sandover Medal in 1983. Was drafted by the Swans in 1985 ans played 45 games for us before playing 43 for Fitzroy. A total of 88 injury interrupted games.
    From memory big J Ironmonger was winning the brownlow (or very close to) in his first season, until injury occurred. I think it was about round 8 - 9 from memory.

Everett from the Bulldogs - might work out as a key defender.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast