Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pickups by club

Veterans List
    The absolute worst pickup we ever got was Adrian Battiston from Melbourne. An average player at best he was touted as as going to be a star for us. Apart from the fact he was way past his best he turned out to be a dud of the first order. Then there was Shannon Corcoran from Brisbane/Footscray recruited by Eade. Wow, now was that a great pickup or what!!!!!????? Great recruiter was Rodney.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The absolute worst pickup we ever got was Adrian Battiston from Melbourne. An average player at best he was touted as as going to be a star for us. Apart from the fact he was way past his best he turned out to be a dud of the first order. Then there was Shannon Corcoran from Brisbane/Footscray recruited by Eade. Wow, now was that a great pickup or what!!!!!????? Great recruiter was Rodney.
    Dermott Brereton from the Dawks. What a fizzer he was in red and white.
    Dishonourable mentions to Warren McKenzie from Carlton and Stewart Wigney from the Dogs.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    Dermott Brereton from the Dawks. What a fizzer he was in red and white.
    Dishonourable mentions to Warren McKenzie from Carlton and Stewart Wigney from the Dogs.
    I guess we should give due respect to some of these players as our recruiting back then was purely band aid style and we were masters at recruiting players way past their due date. Mckenzie and Wigney at stages of their careers were pretty serviceable for their clubs.

Just wild about Harry
    We also didnt have the budget to recruit big names back then and a club that was bordering on collapse certainly wasnt the best lure for a good player who could make a career somewhere stable. We will probably never know the names of all the players who were approached but turned us down. I think our recruiters probably did the best with what they had, but they DID make some howlers, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Gee I hope so, there is just something about that kid that I really like.
    He is one of the longest kicks i the AFL. Can kick 80 metres. I like him but he anly fit into a few c=games last season. He wasn't consistent but he always tries hard and gives his best even if things aren't going right. He didn't do that when he first arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Took some Danihers & Ben Doolan though

Len Thompson, Robert Dean, Bill Picken, Michael Lockman & returned Paul Hawke ... doesn't offset taking Teasdale, Greg Smith, Jolly, Licuria, Rocca, Barry Mitchell & even re-drafted Gerard Healy once he retired from injury even though he declared he wouldn't play.

Collingwood took Mitchell, then he went to Carlton ... but they did give us Minten-Connell

Jason Daniels ... but they took Paul Morwood & Silvio Foschini

Don't forget Richard Osborne!

Tim Barling & ALMOST Maurice Rioli ... even had a pic of him I'm the Sun in a Swans jumper!

They gave us the duddest of the Cordiner family David Cordner - to replace Capper as our glam full forward, Kevin Dyson, the more handy of the Healy brothers & another coach called Norm Smith

Gary Cowton
    Rocca was never going to play well for us, he hated being here and only wanted to play for Pies. I don't know why we ever drafted him as he made it known he didn't want to come. He certainly tried really hard up here, NOT, 22 games for 11 goals from a key forward.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Rocca was never going to play well for us, he hated being here and only wanted to play for Pies. I don't know why we ever drafted him as he made it known he didn't want to come. He certainly tried really hard up here, NOT, 22 games for 11 goals from a key forward.
    Get some perspective, he was just a kid playing the toughest position on the ground whose main job was to stay out of Pluggers way. Can't argue he didnt particularly want to be here, but to say he wasn't trying is ludicrous...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Get some perspective, he was just a kid playing the toughest position on the ground whose main job was to stay out of Pluggers way. Can't argue he didnt particularly want to be here, but to say he wasn't trying is ludicrous...
    Agree! If he'd have been drafted to today's team with today's culture it might've been a different story.

A combination of Lockett / Rocca playing 5-6 seasons together would have had me drooling like the potential of Lockett / Hall (I wish Plugger didn't pull the pin quite so early) ... or the proven combination of Pratt & Nash.

I can only hope that the Tippett / Reid combo (with the foils of Mummy/Pyke & Goodsey ... and the crumbing of Jetta, Gopher etc) can produce the fire power that the potential of such a forward line promises!

Veterans List
    Hey 01183305, isn't it time for a name change???

Veterans List
    Ah yes, the gifting of the Danihers, the gift that continues to give - TO ESSENDON!

Veterans List
    Didn't Osbourne kick 10 goals the day we broke our losing streak of 23 games. Pretty handy pick up I would have thought.

Veterans List
    Wayne Walsh was a good pickup in the 70's.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast