Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pickups by club

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    The absolute worst pickup we ever got was Adrian Battiston from Melbourne. An average player at best he was touted as as going to be a star for us. Apart from the fact he was way past his best he turned out to be a dud of the first order. Then there was Shannon Corcoran from Brisbane/Footscray recruited by Eade. Wow, now was that a great pickup or what!!!!!????? Great recruiter was Rodney.
    Lest we forget......Bomford and O'Connor......just add them to the long list of masterstrokes by Eade.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Wayne Walsh was a good pickup in the 70's.
    So was Barry Round ... like Teasdale (Tigers), Williams (Geelong), & Healy (Melb) players we picked up who went on to win Brownlows

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Lest we forget......Bomford and O'Connor......just add them to the long list of masterstrokes by Eade.
    He did take us to our first Grand Final in 51 years which set set the groundwork for Roosey's reign

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    He did take us to our first Grand Final in 51 years which set set the groundwork for Roosey's reign
    Yes I just read that fact in MickeyO's book.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I have a soft spot for Rocket. The club came through woeful years in early nineties to grand final in 96. One of the happiest moments for me was when Plugger kicked that point in the prelim final against Essendon. The following years have made us the most successful team (since 96) in relation to finals appearances and Rocket has to be acknowledged fro laying the foundation for this. Sure he departure wasn't the best, but look what followed Roos, 05 Premiers, 06 grand final, succession plan with Horse and premiers last year. All coaches have dud picks also gems.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I have a soft spot for Rocket. The club came through woeful years in early nineties to grand final in 96. One of the happiest moments for me was when Plugger kicked that point in the prelim final against Essendon. The following years have made us the most successful team (since 96) in relation to finals appearances and Rocket has to be acknowledged fro laying the foundation for this. Sure he departure wasn't the best, but look what followed Roos, 05 Premiers, 06 grand final, succession plan with Horse and premiers last year. All coaches have dud picks also gems.
    Much of the ground work was already laid before Eade arrived......Bringing in Barassi to give the club some spine... recruiting Plugger, Roos, Maxfield and others, and a swath of early draft picks, not to mention a brownlow medalist in his prime. Our team was on the rise when Eade arrived.
    Sure he brought in the flood (something he learnt from Pagans paddock), which worked beautifully with Plugger left one out. But when Plugger left it was all downhill to the extent the players weren't listening to him or his outdated gameplan.His time at the bulldogs ended in similar fashion....Needless to say I'm not an Eade fan.....As for his role at the wobbles......not sure what's going on there.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345